Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the pics! I have a 500GB 960 waiting to get dropped in (forgot to mention that I ordered my unit without an SSD). Also have a 1TB 850 to replace the hard drive with (why not!?!). BTW, I read one review where the reviewer stated that if someone has small enough fingers another ram module could be installed. That statement seemed a bit nonsensical to me, and Deks indicated that trying to install a ram module without removing the heatsink first is a no go. I can't tell how much clearance there is between the heatpipes and the top ram slot, but it doesn't look like there is enough to get the proper installation angle necessary. Am I right? I only ask because I wanted to run some baseline measurements and dual channel benchmarks before repasting if it was possible.

Deks likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I guess it depends on what someone considers to be 'small fingers'... plus, I don't think I'm fat considering my weight is well in the recommended range, I exercise on a regular basis and my fingers tend to be maybe on the slightly thinner end... but I can tell you I tried fitting the RAM stick into the slot without removing the heatsink, and it was a no-go for me.
    You could try doing it yourself and see if you are more successful though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For tight spaces like that it depends on your dexterity and ability to focus.

To me there looks like there is room enough to slot in the memory, but you'd need to use your fingers to open the metal "fingers" on each side and go straight in.

If you "bend" the heatpipe ever so slightly you might be able to get above the metal fingers and push down to seat it "normally", but I think if you practice on the one a little more accessible first to hone your technique you might just make it straight in with the metal fingers pulled out of the way.

Those pictures @Caretaker01 posted makes it look possible, but then again there's no substitute for hands on so I'll defer to @Deks 's view.

There's a lot of skill required for disassembly and reassembly of the cooling parts, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it for the first time try what amounts to re-pasting the CPU / GPU only to install memory.

Where did you buy it? I'd get it from a place that will upgrade the memory for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, and if you already bought it, see if that seller will upgrade it for you.

From past experiences Asus won't install memory for you on RMA officially, but I've had success driving in to the local depot and "asking nicely" with memory in hand. They did it while I waited. This was for a hard to reach under the keyboard install at the time.

That was years ago and it's possibly no longer possible. If you have an Asus depot close by, it's worth a drive by. Practice a sincere soulful puppy dog eye's in the mirror before going. ')

Deks likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's really simple to remove the cooling assembly actually.
    It's held in place by various screws obviously which don't separate from it and the entire thing is a singular unit.
    The only screws to really keep an eye on would be the smaller ones for the fans.
    So its a simple matter of just opening the cooling assembly and rotating it outwards as a whole, putting it RAM stick, and then just rotating the assembly back into position and screwing everything down.

Though, obviously, if one wants to avoid removing the whole assembly out of the way, then just lift it partially/slightly to gain better access, and install the second RAM stick... can be a bit tricky obviously if you're doing it yourself, but should be doable.

No local depots here in my area unfortunately... if there were, I could just go there directly with the laptop, GC Gelid extreme and Fujipoly thermal pads and ask them nicely to put those in while I wait (which would probably be successful in comparison to asking them doing it during RMA).

hmscott and zdroj like this.
  5. zdroj

Reputations:
    I've been taking laptops apart for years, including my P570WM, so taking off the heatsink doesn't bother me...but I just hate the labor involved in repasting, so I try to limit how many times I have to do it. I can't tell you how many times I had to do it with the P570WM, with that one ram module under the heatsink/fan. And then, if I had good temps, and I removed the heatsink for some reason, and then the temps get worse, I had to repaste again in the hope that I could get those nice temps back....it's a viscious circle...

Anyway, got an email from HIDevolution this evening - the parts are being picked out and the unit is in pre-production..so hopefully the wait won't be much longer!

Deks and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So, why don't you have HIDevolution expand the memory for you? Or are you...? :)

7. zdroj

Reputations:
    Asus appears to officially support ram up to 2666, and that is as high as HIDevolution's offerings go...I wish to go higher.

On an unrelated note, I see that the new Ryzens require AGESA 1.1.0.1. I think Deks stated that this laptop currently has 1.0.0.7, so I guess we'll know soon enough if Asus is going to support us like we hope they will.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12426/am4-motherboard-apu-bios-updates

hmscott likes this.
  8. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Scroll to minute 6:50 and observe a seamless install of another ram piece. Not ideal but it seems to work.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

hmscott and zdroj like this.
  9. zdroj

Reputations:
    YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!! @Deks, better start doing some finger pilates!!!

hmscott likes this.
  10. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finger pilates ,

Also AMD is ginda giving some love to RX 580 GPU in their last driver update claiming game FPS improvement on some titles in the last 18.2.2 update.
    https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1932

hmscott likes this.