Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. terexo

terexo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Latest AMD drivers... 100hz display... FreeSync 25-100... It's a kind of magic! :D

Spartan@HIDevolution and vdim22 like this.
  2. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Better late than never :). I'm surprised and excited we were able to unlock these :D.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Spartan@HIDevolution and terexo like this.
  3. terexo

terexo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok. We found how to change and add freesync... But how do we know if it's work like it should be. I mean for ex. popular spot 40-75 for 75hz monitor.
    Do our display need 30-90 / 25-100 etc.? I mean how it working in that casec? Is there real displays with that big range?

4. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try with the windmill freesync demo https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/freesync-windmill-demo.281288/. Limit your fps with rivatuner before that to 26/25. You can toggle freesync on and off in the demo. I am able to get down to 25 too without artifacts and no tearing :).

5. terexo

terexo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Windmill is a good (leaked) demo but it's fps limited. I have options from 35fps to 60fps (with 5 fps step).
    I check freesync with nvidia pendulum demo (grey line pattern). There you have fps slider from 20 to 500. So I tested 25-100 range and it's working. But what I can say is 25-30 is just critical, it's without tearing etc but very blurry and jelly.. Personally I'd say it's good from 35. But capped 30fps in some games is good too.
    Do we have LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)?..) Or our laptop have basic FreeSync?

6. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't think we have LFC. I suspect it is the freesync 1 implementation. I don't think it is freesync 2 but I could be wrong.

I tested low fps (30 and under) with vs without freesync and it feels much smoother with freesync enabled. The panel doesn't have the best response times and there is a bit of ghosting present but it's tolerable.

I spoke too soon regarding getting no display corruption, I'm definitely getting visible black display corruption (visible flickering) around the corners of the display when the lower range/fps is 24hz and the framerate is below/around 30. I wanted to see if videos are smoother :). I need to check again what is the lowest one my display can do without issues. There's no corruption when the lower range/fps is 30hz which is good. Update: 29hz is the lowest I can go without any display corruption.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    terexo likes this.
  7. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ideally someone will be able to unlock the bios next and add support for ryzen 2 cpus and better memory speeds. It would be crazy to be able to upgrade to the 3900 65W TDP cpu and faster ram like 3200mhz ram (maybe higher for ryzen 2 cpus?) :D:D. The 3700X also has 65W TDP which would be another good choice even though the 1700 seems to be a good fit for the rx580 for gaming.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  8. Ryzeeen

Ryzeeen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don´t think that it´s possible to add support to new ryzen CPU´s. Some people asked in the past for it and 1 or 2 did try to test some modded bios files but they never had luck to add support for newer ryzen CPU´s. But it would be cool if it´s possible.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Steven Tech

Steven Tech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At least ram speeds. It makes wonders with ryzen.Still hopin'. Having an am4 socket was like some sort of lie, having said that you can buy the laptop with the best cpu available.

10. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is indeed possible to run zen 2 (3000 series cpus) on b350 motherboards. I've added some examples below and you can find more online.

1. https://www.techspot.com/review/1872-ryzen-9-on-older-motherboards/
    However I think you're correct in saying we're not going to get support for these cpus since it's not as simple as just adding micro code updates. Some more info on this can be found here https://www.anandtech.com/show/1297...istol-ridge-dropped-from-certain-motherboards.

Anyways you never know, we didn't think that you could extend the freesync ranges for the laptop ;).