Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am hoping to pick one of these up from @ HIDevolution. I'm still unsure of which upgrades to get, I was thinking Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU, Gelid GC Extreme on GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat-sensitive surfaces, I don't think 2666Mhz RAM would make much of a difference but it might be worth getting dual channel. Wich upgrades did you choose?

hmscott likes this.
  2. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I upgraded the WiFi card to the Intel 9260 w/BT5.0, and ordered another power adapter...hmmm...but now I see that instead of 280W they are being listed at 330W, and for $30 more. Time to email Ted and see what's up with that. I think Deks, who resides "across the pond" from me, has a 300W, so I wondered from the onset why the US only got 280W...:vbconfused:

As for the thermal upgrades, (1) it's nothing that I don't plan on doing myself; and (2) since I want to install 3000+ memory (and see what happens - I was originally thinking of 32GB G.Skill 3000, but now I'm leaning toward 16GB G.Skill 3200) - and according to Deks the heatsink needs to be removed to upgrade the memory - having HIDevolution repaste the CPU and GPU would have been a waste of money, especially since I have a ton of GC Extreme sitting on my shelf (I also have 2 tubes of Conductonaut as well, but after losing a $700 Xeon E5 2696v2 (most likely due to my applying too much, I'm sure), I think I'll stick to non-conductive pastes for the time being). I just need to see where to get the thermal pads from.

hmscott likes this.
  3. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you get the extended warranty?. Normally I would say its a waste of money but for this laptop, I'm thinking it could be worth it

hmscott likes this.
  4. zdroj

Reputations:
    Nope...no extended warranty. I admit, I'm not sure why EU countries get 2 years and the US only one, but believe me - I plan on finding out right quick, way before the year is up, if this machine is going to die under heavy workloads.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    HIDevolution is obviously offering better customization options (albeit at a higher price).

Though something is confusing to me... does the USA version GL702ZC come with thermal pads on VRM's and VRAM chips?
    HIDevolution is offering a repaste with Conductonaut on CPU (which obviously means its viable for use there), Gelid GC extreme on GPU and 'stock thermal pads'.
    The UK version has no 'thermal pads' on the VRM's or VRAM's (or at least, mine doesn't)... so I'm curious.

As for my power supply... it's model number is: ADP-330AB D
    According to Google, this is indeed a 330W power brick.
    I got my unit from LaptopsDirect... so it could be that Asus simply used the same Japanese supplier of power bricks that Dell used for UK versions.
    However, I do think 280W should be more than enough... especially if people undervolt the CPU and GPU, or choose to run 3.6GhZ across all cores with a minuscule undervolt on the CPU and similar to mine undervolt on RX 580.

The official UK specs for GL702ZC state the power brick is 280W... so I'm not sure why I got a more powerful one.
    I guess I won't be complaining about it though for when I repaste and overclock the CPU to 3.6GhZ across all cores (but also drop the voltage by 2 notches from stock) - but as I said, even a 280W power brick should suffice.
    :D

It will be good to see other people perform a bit of a thermal upgrade on this laptop and post their results.

Also, guys, definitely undervolt the GPU and CPU.
    Latest MSI afterburner set with core voltage to -93mV works on my GPU... although -100mV was stable for games like Mass Effect Andromeda, and even Firestrike TimeSpy went through on several occasions with -100mV (though it also crashed the system a couple of times on it too... -93mV seems stable across all workloads for me).
    As for the CPU... using Ryzen Master Threadripper, I was able to undervolt the CPU to 0.98125V on 3.2GhZ stable.
    3.3 GhZ runs stable on 1.05V.
    3.6 GhZ might run stable on just 1 or two notches below 1.1875V, but need to do long term testing on that one.

Couple that with a repaste and quality thermal pads, this machine could easily end up being one of the best - especially if asus releases newer BIOS for Zen+, Zen 2 and Zen 3.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    zdroj and hmscott like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Two-year warranty (EU law)-thisismoney.co.uk. Some countries have +2 years... Norway have 5 years.

xsais, zdroj, Ashtrix and 1 other person like this.
  7. zdroj

Reputations:
    When I receive my unit I will open it up and give it a look in re: thermal pads, etc. Perhaps ASUS included thermal pads on their new batches of these units (possibly in response to your well documented trials and tribulations?)?

Ted from HIDevolution responded to my email this morning re: the 280W vs 300W vs 330W power brick conundrum. Seems there was a typo on the original HIDevolution product page, and the power bricks are 330W after all.

I have to tell you, I'm really liking Ted, HIDevolution, and the integrity/lack of B.S. they have displayed so far. I should have checked them out years ago!

I believe it was on another thread that you may have mentioned that you could not find 3200MHz ram. Granted, they only seem to be available in 8GB sticks, and I'm not sure about availability in the EU, but this is what my revised plan entails: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16grs

I hope they work well in this rig!

xsais and Deks like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The highest frequency RAM I could find in UK for laptops of DDR4 variety are 3000 MhZ ones on Ebay UK and Amazon UK... and at their cheapest (from ebay), they cost £400.

If I end up upgrading the RAM at some point in the future to higher frequency ones (provided that prices also drop), I'd like to get at least 1000 MhZ boost... or more.

And as for Asus potentially including thermal pads due to my experiences... now that would be interesting, and a bit inconsiderate when you take into account I supplied them with Fujipoly thermal pads and Gelid GC extreme and requested they apply both when I sent the unit for RMA... alas, they did not... they said they have certain factory standards to work with and they can't deviate from those (which is odd, considering they said prior to it that they could consider applying those if I supplied the materials and made the request).
    At the very least if they included the thermal paste in newer batches, I hope they provided proper ones (at a minimum 11w/mK from Alphacool or Fujipoly would be considered 'good quality').
    I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if they did include them

Asus support is not exactly what I would call 'consistent'.

It's a shame we don't have something like HIDevolution here in UK... but then again, most such organisations unfortunately have a tendency to rip off consumers for even higher prices... at which point it becomes cost prohibitive (when you take into account that for the price Asus is asking, they should have integrated all of the bells and whistles with the original model) and much easier to upgrade yourself (but in case of this machine, it's a bit questionable as you obviously want to avoid potential failures and having to resort to RMA-ing the unit which would require of you to restore it to the original configuration so your Warranty doesn't end up void).

zdroj likes this.
  9. zdroj

Reputations:
    Funny thing...I downloaded the manual for this laptop last night...went to the section on upgrading. It shows how to upgrade the drives, but offers nothing on the ram! Too bad - if it showed the removal of the heatsink, then one could make an argument that the warranty cannot be voided. I still don't get the whole warranty thing. Obviously one can open the back to make the drive upgrades, so that wouldn't void the warranty. Where does it state that removing the heatsink voids it? Is there a sticker to break?

hmscott likes this.
  10. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    None that I could see while I was upgrading the SSD[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

xsais and zdroj like this.