Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. ProtosAngelus

ProtosAngelus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So in other words, if GPU is not a bottleneck in a certain game, dual channel bandwidth should help overall performance along with larger RAM (as you said the RAM usage can be high)?

2. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dual channel is a must, my laptop came with a single stick of 16 gb and while my usage is oriented to design and creation I noticed a 25-50 % fps in my programs.
    More ram doesn't help anyone, dual channel with lower latency is important for this laptop since it can't go over 2666 Hz. Dual channel boosts performance when a game or app uses ram as cache or rapid info exchange.
    As example for me working in Blender viewport animation playback performance doubled after the second stick because its cpu dependent. Games won't see a boost if you play them at high settings, to my knowledge the lower graphical settings you go the less it uses the gpu resources and more the cpu. The higher you go it will start to use the cards resources and the cpu not so much. Less cpu usage means less ram usage.

Sent from my Mi 5s Plus using Tapatalk

3. ProtosAngelus

Reputations:
    I've seen plenty of benchmarks for dual channel vs single channel. Both in rendering software (or anything CPU intensive), and games. Some benchmarks show 10-40% increase when going from single channel to dual on lower settings, where the GPU is not a limiting factor, that is, the GPU can easily spit out FPS as long as the CPU is communicating to the rest of the hardware in a timely manner.
    However, I can not explain why the same hardware, or closely the same, has vastly different results. Googling articles that deal you can usually see GTX 1070 with Intel 9th gen i7 processor giving X avg FPS on dual channel with Y increase, and then see the same system give X avg fps but with 0 increase going to dual channel.

4. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does our laptop supports 5 ghz wi-fi?

5. ProtosAngelus

Reputations:
    My laptop managed to connect to my family's 5 GHz network. Our router has dual wifi. 2.4 and 5 GHz and I can connect to both.... which means YES.

terexo likes this.
  6. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, thank you. I was able to create 5 ghz hotspot in windows 10 : )

Guys is someone tryed VR headsets on our laptop? Or can you please explain what is VR for now in general. Is it immersive enough or it's like watching through the tube? I think about VR for movies/cartoons etc (maybe games) and think what to get. Oculus Go or Quest (the f irst one)... Or WMR.
    p.s. - I never tryed any VR up to this day (consciously).

dnak_ebloa likes this.
  7. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ive used My Oculus Rift (gen 1 i think) on it. Watching movies is fine, playing games can be hit and miss. Most games were ok, but Sairento I remember crashed hard. Super hot was absolutely fine. Less demanding titles will be ok.