Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In order for this to even have a chance of success we need at least one of the following:
    1. Asus update for bios unlocking
    2. Asus or someone with resources to inject the microcode required for the motherboard to recognize new hardware
    3. Someone capable of creating a custom bios due to hardware testing

As of now I don't see any of those points getting any chance of being achieved, due to the fact that this device is 3 years old

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

dnak_ebloa likes this.
  2. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh right, I didn't know it was dependant upon Asus in any way. Perhaps out of blind optimism I misread some of the claims made by some people on this thread - i got the impression it could be done despite Asus's refusal to release/unlock BIOS if there were incentive enough for someone to spend time working on it. I'd go through the post and find the comments if I could be bothered, but this thread is just too long now lol
    personally, my system works pretty well as it is so im not tooo fussed

3. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In the past other laptops from other OEMs have had custom BIOS made with no help from the OEM.
    It's not impossible to be done with a custom bios made entirely from scratch or something, but due to the low amount of people owning this laptop and lack of support from ASUS, it's unlikely someone will start anything

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

dnak_ebloa likes this.
  4. cleastie

cleastie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive been using this laptop for 8 months or so now, undervolted GPU and CPU and got decent improvements. Laptop is still louder than id want it to be tho. I clearly hear the fans even at idle.

Time to make this mfr silent. I bought a new bottom chassis piece, gonna drill holes in it where the cooling is located for increased air flow.

Any idea what kind of material i should use to protect the holes under the laptop? So things cant get into the laptop. I heard a piece of womans stockings should be an easy fix but im not sure if its a good idea hehe.

Also gonna undervolt the GPU, but to do that i need to flash an unlocked bios to the GPU. I found an unlocked bios on page 131 in this thread but the file is no longer available.

Any idea where i can find a working unlocked GPU bios?

Im also gonna get a cooling pad. Not that it does wonders but just a few degrees here and there is what I need to make the laptop silent.

Im even considering underclocking the CPU just to shut it up. It would be a last resort though as id want to keep the cpu performance.

5. ProtosAngelus

ProtosAngelus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had liquid metal in the laptop for the past 4 months. Temperatures idle are 40-50C on CPU, 43 GPU.
    Metro Exodus ramps up the temperature to max 72 (hovers around 69) on CPU and 66 on GPU.
    My GPU fan connector got busted so I've had the fans engineerd into a series (Motherboard - CPU fan - GPU fan - back to motherboard -> closed series circuit), and I use NotebookFan Control on Auto. The internal fan software is crap. 60-70 the Fans spin at 37.5% (can barely hear it). Closer to 70 they ramp up to 50%. After 70C (on CPU ofc) they ramp up to 75% -> that's when they get loud.
    Btw. I get this problem, maybe once a month. I'm playing a game for some time, the temperatures are ok but the screen all of a sudden goes black while the laptop is running (game not heard, like it crashed or sth). I don't usually wait it to BSOD or reboot, so I didn't have any dump file but I force shutdown it and boot it again... it boots normally, like nothing happened. Also, if the computer goes to sleep for longer than 5-10 minutes, after waking up it will BSOD saying atikmdag or similar .sys that crash him. Everything else works perfectly.

Erik C. Stubblebine likes this.
  6. cleastie

Reputations:
    Sweet, i move around a lot so im not gonna do liquid metal on this one but id love those temps hehe.

Im running a undervolt on CPU, 3400mhz at 1.031V and -90 mV on the GPU, radeon settings set to power saving(this gave like 4c lower), idle(lots of tabs and excel, word etc open but nothing active so to speak) temps are ~57-58 with fan at 17%.

I usually FPS cap my games to keep it under 70 degrees, works pretty well. Id like to get it even cooler tho. Will see what drilling the underpad will do, also getting a cooling pad for a few extra degrees.

Ive noticed that the GPU is often 1 degree hotter than the CPU, which suggests i could get it a couple of degrees lower by underclocking and undervolting the GPU even further. Gonna look into that. Dont need the GPU at full power anyway.

Maybe u undervolted ur laptop too much? I had random, very rare bsods before as well, turned out i undervolted my GPU a tad too much.

Btw 37.5% and can barely hear it? When i set mine to 37.5 i can definitely hear it!

7. ProtosAngelus

ProtosAngelus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    37.5% is really not that loud for me. 50% is where it gets "loud" but I dont mind it since the sound from the game/music/something, drowns it out. I put 1.05V on CPU with 3300MHz and -75mV on GPU. If I'm playing something that does not require CPU a lot I put 3.2GHz on CPU on 1.00V.
    Don't know what could cause the crashes but they are rare so it's probably some driver crash or sth. hardware errors would produce crashes much more often. Drilling the underbelly of the laptop will cool it down but also more dust will accumulate and if you put something like leggings to filter out, the density of the nitting could be so high that it's basically a rigid wall.

8. cleastie

Reputations:
    Are you using the latest AMD driver? I tried updated to the latest driver back in feb or so but didnt work well at all, got a lot of crashes etc. Downgraded back to 19.12.1 and everything runs great. Not playing any super new games tho.

Erik C. Stubblebine likes this.
  9. cleastie

Reputations:
    Found meetusz's fix for overclocking/underclocking the RX 580 but i need a pass, he hasnt been online for almost a month. Anyone have the pass? If so pleease send it to me :)

Edit: He sent it to me, awesome! Will report back on results!

Awesome. Ive tinkered a bit with undervolting/underclocking and these are my results:

850/1750 at 800mV instant unigine artifacts and black screen had to manually shut it down.

850/1800 at 825 small artifacts

850/1800 at 835 seems fine, minor stutters tho

850/1900 at 835 same as 850/1800, maybe mini less stutters

1077/2000 at 1000mV, mini stutters at dragon too

850/1700 at 800mV, instant crash in unigine.

1025/1900 at 840mV artifact

1000/1900 at 840mV works well, minor stutter as others at dragon

1000/1950 at 840mV, bit of artifacts

1000/1925 at 840mV, works pretty well might have been one artifact but im not sure

1000/1920 at 845mV final settings for now? WORKS WELL

1025/1920 at 845mV worked well for two mins then sudden crash

1000/1920 at 850mV final OC for now. Minor stutters as all the others but works well(Might be driver related). Im working on the laptop so i added a bit of headroom in terms of voltage, might fine tune this even more later on.

Unigine Heaven 4.0 result with stock clocks -90mV:

FPS: 94

Score: 2369

Min FPS: 27.5

Max FPS: 193.4

Unigine Heaven 4 result with 1000/1920 at 850mV:

FPS:89.3

Score: 2249

Min FPS: 32(??, interesting! might be random tho)

Max FPS: 187.1

Edit2: Nahh 850 wasnt enough, playing Dragon Age Origins and had a lot of stutters. Increased it to 865 just to see if there was a difference, and there surely was. Much better. Will have to look into this more.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  10. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I sent AMD yet another issue reporting form. I'm stuck on 19.9.2. The new ones break FREESYNC. Other people need to submit them to get anything done. I now need FREESYNC. My brain has gotten accustom to tear-free gaming. I can't go back to the before-times. Please send in driver bug reports. Please. Let them know it's ALL of us ROG Strix GL702ZC owners stuck on older drivers. I'd really love to buy Doom Eternal, but...