Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, no problem for me, have you tried a different browser? Maybe it spikes when the clip is prebuffering

Sent from my Mi 5s Plus using Tapatalk

2. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know this problem. It is caused by NBFC in my case.
    It is always happening when i set NBFC to turn on fan to minimul level (12,5%) and the original asus fan curve is pointing to 0%.
    It is looks like that EC is set by NBFC to turn on fans but then BIOS (or something else) just resets it to default. This loop is endless ufortunatelly.
    Oh by the way it is always happening when you force to turn on fan (NBFC) under 40 or 45C (i don't remember).

hmscott likes this.
  3. foresterx

foresterx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The BIOS is looking for specific CPU ID's, and unless AMD allowed for this early on preallocating an ID range in the BIOS's already installed - it would take a BIOS update to recognize it...even though the name is very close 1600AE vs 1600AF

This article indicates BIOS updates with new AGESA's make significant improvement in performance, so Asus should really come out with a BIOS update with the latest AGESA version anyway:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF CPU Review & Benchmarks: Best CPU Under $100 in 2020
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3547-amd-r5-1600-af-cpu-review-best-cpu-under-100

New AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF CPU Review & Benchmarks vs. Original, R5 2600, & 3600

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Ryzen 5 1600 AF is technically a downclocked 2600 as they use the same manufacturing process. A great budget CPU for sure, but unless BIOS support is specifically added for it, I'm afraid you'll be out of luck.

6. foresterx

foresterx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    then it is time to sell this out , i ve already got me an acer predator 500 but seems to me that both asus and acer have no interest to support these models, i wonder if clevo would allow support though ;). it was a pain to find this when released in europe but as it seems it wasnt worth my time due to no support....

7. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No laptop manufacturer has any interest in supporting their products with bios updates. Imagine launching a few dozens of products yearly, there isn't enough man power to R&D all of them unless a particular model is very popular. I imagine Clevo has even less interest in this since they create templates not actual laptop's

Sent from my Mi 5s Plus using Tapatalk

8. ProtosAngelus

ProtosAngelus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For all those that have On/Off fans... Download Notebook FanControl and select the GL702ZC profile. If set on auto it will adjust the fans perfectly. However, because of some unknown reason, when the laptop is idle with a temperature around 40 degrees, the fans will keep turning on and off, depending whether it crosses a certain temperature (41 or something deg Celsius). If that is troubling you, use Notebook fan control to manually put the fans on 25% (12.5% does not do the trick). Since something on my mobo broke down, which led to my GPU fan connector not working, my GPU fan is connected in series with my CPU fan (so whichever rotational speed the CPU fan has got, the GPU fan will copy it, with a slight drop in voltage since it's in series -> eg. it won't spin at 25% but 23% or so... since the speed is determined by the voltage supplied). That piece of software is perfect. Beats the ROG Gaming center by light years.

hmscott likes this.
  9. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    at this point it's down to enthusiasts to mod the BIOS, but until something with significant gains is released at 65wTDP then i'm not sure those able to do will spend their time on it. For a minute the 3700 looked like a contender, but it was never released, only featured in some prebuilts afaik

hmscott likes this.
  10. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone 'grasped the nettle' and tried the newest Adrenalin 2020 update, 20.2.2? We've all been stuck at 19.8.1 since August. My eyes/brains no longer work without Freesync. Please, please send AMD Issue Reporting Forms. They don't even list it as a 'Known Issues'. I've sent a half dozen. To no avail.

https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966