Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should / can complain to / refer to the Asus International Support / USA Support as those allow self-repair and allow us to ignore the "Warranty Seal" sticker for many years now. From before the change to BGA we also could upgrade our laptops with socketed CPU's.

Ask to be transferred to an Asus Support supervisor and tell them that it's legal in the rest of the world and it needs to be legal (there) here. Also get in touch with marketing and the local managers that supervise the support group.

dnak_ebloa likes this.
  2. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have any "paper proof" that i can provide to local Asus support/Service i'd love to tell them ;)

For now it is obvious to me that repaste will void warranty

Wysłane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

3. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity when did you buy your laptop? I mean, I'm not entirely sure but it's been discontinued for some time now?

4. meteeusz

Reputations:
    I bought it ca 16 months ago...

Wysłane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Here you go:

Summary of Updates to the ASUS Warranty Information
    "Update: On May 8, 2018, ASUS Updated the terms of its product warranties as follows:
    ...Original Warranty Information...

We have provided a summary of notable updates to the ASUS Warranty Information Form for the United States:

- Your warranty shall remain intact regardless if you perform the repair or seek repair services from a non-authorized third party. If damages arise from such repair then ASUS is not responsible for such damages resulting from the repair.

- Your warranty shall not be void if any warranty seals are altered, tampered, or removed.

For questions about your warranty or service, please visit our FAQ."
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/925/

That was over a year ago for the official change, but I have been getting confirmation from Asus for many years from customer support that you aren't going to void the warranty by removing the sticker and adding memory, disk, re-pasting, or self-repairing problems. As long as what you do doesn't break anything Asus will cover it all under warranty - you pay for anything you break.

The sane sensible honest approach from Asus on this subject is one of the best things about Asus. I always suggest asking / confirming this when you register a new laptop or device to get in "writing" the confirmation that removing the warranty sticker and doing the work yourself is allowed, and Asus always said yes.

I have posted responses from Asus before on this subject to confirm their stance, and was going to do it again here, but it looks like all of the Technical Inbox messages have expired, so I can't quote one here. I'll see if I can find an old post with a quote to add here.
    Asus still has a 2 year warranty where you registered?

I'd send them the quote and the link and ask that they respect that sane and reasonable stance on self-repair / updates for your laptop and see what they say. Ask to escalate to a manager and ask how they can change their stance on self-repair and updating your own hardware.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  6. meteeusz

Reputations:
    I'm not in US... I don't know if EU Warranty terms are the same.

I'm still in 2yr manufacturers warranty peroid. In EU it is standard.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yes, I know you aren't in the US, and I said I was in the US, and suggested you ask your local Asus support to follow the US lead on allowing for self-service.

Then you asked me to give you something "in writing" about this support for self-service, so I did.
    Before we go around in a circle again, you now have a link to Asus US support for self-servicing to show your local Asus support, so go get'em! :)

Papusan and meteeusz like this.
  8. meteeusz

Reputations:
    Sorry i misunderstood you..

I just checked local asus warranty. Any self-service will void warranty.
    I asked local asus support befor (when I was forced to RMA) and they said that I can't even mount additional RAM stick ;).
    That's why I asked you about any information provided by Asus about repaste.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's a terrible policy. How are you supposed to add in memory or storage?

What region is this happening in?

Perhaps there are similar organizations like the US FTC to help regulate that behavior for the benefit of consumers in your region?

meteeusz likes this.
  10. meteeusz

Reputations:
    That's because in GL702ZC to properly mount additional ram stick you should remove cooling system. Which is not allowed.

They have almost nothing to say about M.2 and SATA drives. Almost... except when you change original drive and send laptop for RMA without it.
    Local asus support said that I can send without original HDD but I'll lost warranty for it. Not for whole laptop - only for HDD.
    They said that I can use theirs commercial service to not lost data from HDD. They will charge for it (actually they change orginal HDD by spare one and send back laptop with dismantled originah HDD and mounted spare one).

Asus had worst i've seen service/support.
    Previously I had the pleasure to use HP and Dell service/support.

About warranty terms:
    We have pretty good customer law organizations and customers low by itself in all EU countries.
    Manufacturers limited warranty obligations are independent from customers law.
    So I can use manufacturer's warranty or customers law to repair/replace defective product.
    But it is hard/pointless to fight with large organizations when product is older than 6 months and it is still in warranty period.

Oh by the way... I'm talking about the same asus international limited warranty which apply to both EU and US.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019