Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Fingers crossed for some laptops supporting Ryzen 9 Pro 3900. 12 Core's in a laptop what a time to be alive!

dnak_ebloa and hmscott like this.
  2. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's gotta be someone in this thread that can tweak/mod/insert microcode or something so that ours can run this CPU, damnit!

Ryder23 likes this.
  3. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

this makes me sad.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He didn't do a good job showing how to do the first update on the MSI Tomahawk motherboard, and exploited the maximum number of failures to show a problem where none existed.

He knew ahead of time the Tomahawk wouldn't boot on the new Ryzen 3 CPU and that it required a BIOS update first. And, that BIOS update didn't require an old CPU to boot to install the BIOS - it has BIOS flashback which doesn't require a CPU to update the BIOS.

This kind of poorly thought through updating needlessly makes people sad:

"this makes me sad."

The rest of the updates seemed ok, but he still didn't use USB BIOS Flashback first when it was available - and made every mistake possible - to be entertaining?

Which part(s) made you sad? :)

Pinned by Paul's Hardware
    Paul's Hardware3 days ago
    "So to sum up: every single B450/X470/B350/X370 motherboard I tested was able to update and recognize the new 3000-series CPU. The problems I encountered were all my fault. One other way to make sure a 300/400 series motherboard will work out of the box with Ryzen 3000 series: look for an "AMD Ryzen Desktop 3000 Ready" sticker on the box. Unfortunately, it can be hard to tell which boxes have these stickers if you're buying online."

And, don't forget AMD offers a free CPU loaner program in case your motherboard doesn't have USB BIOS Flashback capability and you don't have a previous Ryzen CPU to do the BIOS update before installing your new Ryzen 3 CPU:

Unable to Boot New Desktop System Configured with AMD 3rd Generation Ryzen™ Desktop Processor, and AMD Socket AM4 400-Series Motherboard
    Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

"AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for qualified users that:
    1. Have made a valid purchase of a 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and;
    2. Are unable to boot that processor because the user’s current X470/B450 BIOS must be upgraded first."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  5. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Meant this as a joke - updates are possible but we ain't getting one :).

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's still an outside possibility, one of the Acer Helios 500 owners has AMD in the loop to help him upgrade his CPU to a Ryzen 3... too soon to tell if this will help motivate Acer to do the BIOS update themselves:
    My Reply here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...zen-2-helios-500.817796/page-64#post-10939772

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    dnak_ebloa and Papusan like this.
  7. dnak_ebloa

Reputations:
    Nice post. So i guess your saying if Acer provide a new BIOS then Asus could be encouraged to do the same thing - with a little help/pressure from AMD. I wonder who in AMD we would contact to inform them of our situation. I wonder if some sort of petition would help?
    One other thing is that Asus seems to be absurdly strict regarding tampering with the GL702ZC with respect to their maintenance of any faulty machine - you know, if there is a sign that youve opened the heatsink or whatever then it voids the warranty etc etc This make me think that they would have to write into the terms of agreement that using any future super-BIOS for Ryzen 3 immediately voids your warranty, which seems like strange and unlikely thing to include in terms of agreement, but maybe i'm wrong and it is normal.

hmscott likes this.
  8. dnak_ebloa

Reputations:
    One other thing, you asked them 'are there any desktop motherboards that the Helios Ryzen motherboard share design' and i was wondering what is the closest motherboard design to ours?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Re-pasting of the CPU / GPU is allowed, Asus ROG signifies high performance - and they know enthusiasts will be repasting their laptops just like they do their desktops, and enabling enthusiasts is what ROG is all about.

Taking on a positive attitude with Asus / Acer + plus providing motivation from AMD has a good chance of allowing for AM4 GPU upgrades moving forward. If not in the existing models, in the next generation it will be known and perhaps explicitly supported by AMD and the vendors, just like on desktops.

10. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunatelly i asked Asus about repasting... They said that I can't do anything which is related with dismantling cooling system...

Wysłane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

hmscott likes this.