Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this meteeusz, that's some interesting graphs! I'm using my laptop heavily for work so I wouldn't risk it, otherwise I would be happy to play around with the gpu power states :) .

On a side note I've managed to oc the laptop monitor refresh rate to 101 hz using cru! What a difference! You lose freesync though but high hz > freesync imo. If anybody is interested in trying this let me know and I'll post how.

2. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I know core voltage is very low for 1077, 1145 and 1191MHz. I was suprised too because my RX580 has sh**ty ASIC quality.
    I checked it with frostbite game too -> BFV. Actually I didn't have time for long "gaming tests" yet. But I will do it definitely :).

I think that my mod (1266MHz) fits to my individual laptop/chip. Every single user should test max undervolt on his own laptop.

It's weird that auto voltage set vcore at 1077MHz to 900mV.
    I noticed that and raised vcore to value which was working before mod on MSI AB (-81mV -> 919mV).
    Then I tested stability and went down with vcore step by step by 6.25mV until artifacting... it was at 900mV. Last stable value was 906mV which is 2 steps lower than before...

About gaming workloads - I'm using +15% power limit from a year now. I didn't change it after mod.
    GPU isn't throttling at all. full stable 1266MHz when gaming.
    One issue is that when game is just loaded, power consumption is higher than 68W (71-74W) for few seconds and then drops down a lot.
    I think that could be caused by memory controller or memory itself.
    It does not bother me a lot but I have to mension that because when you do not rise TDP at least to +5-10% it will throttle a little bit for few second after game start.

sniffin likes this.
  3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like a good chip. Its great that raising the power limit works. What are your temps like at 1266MHz while gaming?

4. meteeusz

Reputations:
    BFV after an hour
    GPU: 73
    CPU: 65
    VRM: 60

But I have custom CPU fan curve and ROG Gaming Center fan boost set to +23%

sniffin likes this.
  5. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great temps. You’ve definitely got headroom, it’s a shame the power limit can’t be pushed a little bit higher.

6. meteeusz

Reputations:
    Actually... it can be.
    TDP (68W default) can be rised +50% even before mod. The problem is TDC (74A default) which is limiting max power.
    I think that TDC can be rised by soft power play table mod. I just don't feel I should try to rise it higher before checking VRM components.

sniffin likes this.
  7. Acapobia

Acapobia Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

first of all i want to thank you for this thread. I follow it since his creation with a lot of interest, and he make me have a lot better control in my rog gl702z.

I'm realy impress by your work @meteeusz and i'm volunteer to test it in my laptop and make you all a return. I send you a PM for access to your mod.
    What is the softward used to know the quality of the rx580 chip? Personaly mine run fine with -100mv in afterburner.

Again thank you all for your implication in the improvement of this fabulous laptop!

cordially Acapobia

8. Acapobia

Acapobia Newbie

Reputations:
    @meteeusz sorry i discoverd i can't send PM because I'm new... :( can you contact me please? :rolleyes: Thx!

9. meteeusz

Reputations:
    You can check ASIC quality with GPU-Z.

10. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well after having a sweet overclock running for a few months Zenstates fails to auto load on restart. I've done the obvious reinstalled, toggled it to start on startup and checked it's enabled in Msconfig. Any ideas guys to get this to auto start each reboot?