Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, you're absolutely right. There's been talk but nothing more than that. Hopefully the clock gains of the 3700X will spur some action, but I do suspect that this improvement may not even seem worth it - people where hoping for an increased core count at the 65w tdp on 7nm, but all we got were increased speeds.

Ryder23 likes this.
  2. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Surely now we are going to see some Ryzen based laptops coming equipped with the Ryzen 7 3700X?! I mean at 65watts this is more than doable! Just a shame we can't upgrade our Rogs!

3. AngieAndretti

AngieAndretti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recall that when my crappy original Asus battery that never charged past ~60wh died after a few months of normal use, gaming suddenly became unstable. I don't recall any difference in CPU speed in my situation, but I did notice the GPU clock behaving differently, bouncing around a lot, and games would crash constantly. Everything aside from gaming still worked fine but it was still super-weird! As soon as I installed my replacement battery which I paid for myself despite the unit being under warranty, the problem immediately resolved and everything became stable again. Oh, and the replacement battery charged to the full advertised capacity and still lasts longer than the trashy battery Asus installed. I'd recommend replacing yours as well.

4. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Shame indeed. B350 is supported with a bios update, though I suspect there might be more than just microcode updates needed for this. I don't think asus will ever release such bios updates for GL702ZC, hope I'm wrong. I would love to see a 3700x inside my laptop! The most irritating bit in my opinion is that desktop B350 boards work just fine, with the bios updates of course.

5. AngieAndretti

AngieAndretti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm afraid you're correct - I'd be amazed if Asus actually released the requisite BIOS update to allow the upgrade. It's just not in their interest to do so. Myself, I cannot help but wonder what would happen if I were to try flashing the new BIOS from a couple of the most similar desktop B350 boards. I'm doubtful you could just do that through normal software means, of course, but I've successfully flashed laptop BIOSes externally with a Raspberry Pi before. Anyone wanna lend me a 3700x to try it, lol?

6. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Go for it mate. Take one for the team. Get the 3700x off Amazon. Worst case scenario you can still sell your Ram sticks if everything goes up in smoke best case scenario you have a 3700x Laptop that's one of a kind and the fastest on the market!

7. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On a side note why don't Asus just release the bios update? Literally these laptops are now 2 and a half years old. I don't even think you can buy them new anymore. Surely they can hope we all break our laptops so we can invest in new ones!

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If it was that easy. But even a mess with Desktop boards...

BIOS ROM Size Limitations Almost Derail AMD's Zen2 Backwards Compatibility Promise

MSI Scampers to Launch New AMD 400-series Motherboards with 256Mb BIOS Chips

hmscott likes this.
  9. vdim22

vdim22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, not easy but possible. I wonder If we get in touch with asus would they agree to release the bios if we pay them? They already have experience with their desktop boards.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations: