Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This was supposed to be fixed with an AGESA 1.0.0.4 update by AMD long ago, check with Asus, maybe they have a "patch" or firmware update for BIOS or Windows.

I'd register with support and open a service / tag / ticket with Asus and see what they say. Then ask again and ask to have it escalated for review to a manager / engineer.

Pinned by Intermit.Tech
    Intermit.Tech 2 years ago
    "2017-03-30 Another update! AMD has just mentioned that in their newest AGESA (BIOS) update fixes this bug! BIOSes based on this new code will have four important improvements for you We have reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications. We resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang. We resolved the “overclock sleep bug” where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep."

Windows sleep bug makes AMD RYZEN overclock higher and better benchmark results.
    By kladzen, March 8, 2017 in Tech News · 47 replies
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...verclock-higher-and-better-benchmark-results/

RoadtoRyzen: AMD Ryzen overclock sleep bug fully tested
    Intermit.Tech
    Published on Mar 7, 2017
    Last night I made a video about a weird bug I discovered which could potentially give very high overclocks on the AMD Ryzen CPU.

RoadtoRyzen: AMD Ryzen overclock sleep bug
    Intermit.Tech
    Published on Mar 6, 2017
    I need to start off with saying, this is not clickbait (as cliche as that looks). I've been doing performance tests for days on the new Ryzen 1700x and today I noticed something odd. That is what this video is about and demonstrates, nothing more! Oh man this can potentially ruin my channel and credibility but I hope everyone can see from the video this is no hoax or joke, anyway....

I've been working on overclocking my CPU to 4.00Ghz and believe I had found stable settings.

I left the system running a benchmark which would take quite a while (SPECviewperf) and when I returned the system had gone to sleep mode (I have not set the high performance profile deliberately). Fine, I hit the spacebar and woke it up. I continued testing but the results I was seeing where off, they where way too high!

Upon checking it looked like my CPU was now running at 4.20Ghz! After testing some more surprisingly it seemed perfectly happy and stable. WTF!

After doing lots of tests and making screenshots, I rebooted the system. After the reboot, everything was back at 4.00Ghz again and testing like it should. I repeated putting the system to sleep and waking it back up and it was back at 4.20Ghz again and getting record benchmarks!

Trying to set my BIOS overclock to a 42 multiplier manually was a no go, the system would often lock up even before post. Only once in 10 tries did it go into the BIOS but booting windows was never going to happen. I did not change any settings which can be seen in the video.

Has anyone else seen this? If this a fluke, are these results skewed or is it really running at 4.20Ghz through some bug? I find it all very suspicious from what I can tell it's actually running at 4.20ghz and completing benchmarks and computations faster then at 4.00Ghz! Memory benchmarks are also through the roof! I'm also not seeing any artifacts or anything of the sort.

Please, anyone else with a Ryzen CPU and a AX370-Gaming-5 (BIOS F3) motherboard, run the same test? On any Ryzen board really.

This is either completely false and something weird is happening (most probably) or there is more potential left within the Ryzen chip then we are currently seeing.

Let me know what you think in the comments!

p.s. As with the memory video before, this was not a video I was planning to make or a joke video, I'm not a clickbait channel. The AM4/Ryzen platform is quite new though and sometimes odd things happen.

Does AMD's AGESA Update 1.0.0.4 deliver what was promised?
    Does AMD's AGESA Update 1.0.0.4 deliver what was promised?
    Published: 12th April 2017 | Source: AMD | Author: Mark Campbell

"Ryzen in an all-new CPU architecture and as such the architecture does have room for improvement. Over the past few weeks, AMD has proven that Ryzen can perform and has shown a clear commitment to improving their performance further through software optimisations and frequent BIOS/UEFI updates.

One of AMD's most recent claims is that they would be releasing a new AGESA code update in early April, and now several motherboards now sport this upgraded software, which promises to fix bugs and even improve CPU performance. So let's have a look as see if this code update delivers.
    AMD's Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA), is a protocol that is used on AMD64 mainboards to initialise the system. This software is responsible for the initialization of CPU cores, memory and HyperTransport controllers, which should mean that this new microcode will improve things like DDR4 memory support and fix some minor CPU issues.

AGESA update 1.0.0.4 promises to fix several bugs with Ryzen, with the following being AMD's promised changes.
    1. We have reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications.
    2. We resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.
    3. We resolved the “overclock sleep bug” where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep.
    4. AMD Ryzen Master no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET).
    Today we have tested Ryzen on our ASUS X370-Pro motherboard, using ASUS' Day-1 BIOS and their latest 0604 BIOS, which contains AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.4 microcode update.

We quickly checked to see if the "overclock sleep bug" was still in effect, which it wasn't, already showing some clear improvement, though the biggest claim was that AMD would be working to decrease memory latency.

To test memory latency we used AIDA 64's dedicated memory testing suite, which showed a latency improvement that is close to AMD's promised 6ns, which will have an impact on certain workloads. We have heard reports that this latency improvement is larger for higher speed memory, though at this time we have not been able to validate this claim.

Testing this motherboard with a wider range of memory kits, we found that we were able to boot our system with a larger variety of kits than we did at launch, though at this time it is hard to know whether ASUS' BIOS updates or AMD's AGESA code updates are responsible for this change. Perhaps it is a combination of both that have caused this improvement.

We would still advise Ryzen buyers to check your motherboard's QVL list for compatible memory, which should be updated frequently to showcase support for the newest memory kits.

Moving onto more general memory bandwidth testing we can see that this update has not been able to get any additional performance out of our 2666MHz memory, though the 6nm decrease in latency is a big decrease in itself. This is a 6% decrease in memory latency, which is a huge change for a simple BIOS update.

While a 6ns decrease in memory latency may not seem like a big deal to some, it is certainly an improvement that will make AMD's Ryzen architecture more competitive and a clear sign that AMD is not finished optimising Ryzen, with plans to issue more performance improving AGESA updates in the future.

In May AMD plans to issue a new update that will focus on memory overclocking, which is something that will certainly interest a lot of Ryzen users.

Closing thoughts
    With Ryzen, AMD has not simply launched and forgotten about their product, with the company planning frequent updates to both hardware and software to improve their CPU performance across a wide range of applications.

AMD has already told us that they have shipped over 300 developer systems since launch and plan to deliver over 1000 by the end of 2017, clearly planning to get developers to optimise their products for Ryzen and create stronger ties to the software development industry.

It is clear that AMD wants to make Ryzen into an even better product, taking all criticisms seriously and fixing any problems as they are brought to light. Let's hope that AMD continues down this path, as it will certainly benefit both consumers and the company as a whole. "

Please check your motherboard manufacturer's website to see if they have a new BIOS with AGESA update 1.0.0.4.

You can join the discussion on AMD's AGESA code update 1.0.0.4 on the OC3D Forums.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    CarthageKing likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should see an "upload a file" bubble under the text box when editing, if you don't try going into "More Options" and see if it shows up then.

You can also give a URL via the "Image" button, to the right of the Smilie face button.

I prefer downloading images first and then uploading them to NBR, as sometimes 3rd party images disappear over time and if you upload the image it's up to NBR to manage the image over time.

Also if you keep a copy you can replace it should it be lost sometime in the future.

Papusan likes this.
  3. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi, i'm excited with your statement that you have 48GB of ram, as in specs it's said that laptop supports max of 32GB.
    I suppose you have already did that, but could you post here some tests that shows that you actually have 48GB of ram. If that is a true, then i suppose that we can load there up to 64GB of RAM.

Not related to your question, but...
    I have a little update about my "cpu performance marginality problem". Official service haven't managed to catch it, but i suppose that they haven't really tried, because they have a little or no knowledge about it and have checked cpu only with a fresh new Ubuntu for a couple of days and i believe they did that without kill_ryzen script. They have recommended me to use the latest Ubuntu). Anyway i have contacted directly with AMD customer care, but they said that the manufacturer of laptop should take care of this problem (even if its' their fault)... Sadly, but i can't return it to the shop as i have it more than year. I have only a valid guaranty, but it's not useful in this case.

I see few options here: to sell it or to swap cpu by myself, luckily i can do both of that in parallel. But i can't find a cpu that is 100% not affected by bug as no one wants to check it. Everyone i asked don't even want to check production week of cpu. I thought that i can buy cpu and check it in few days and return back according to buyer protection scheme, but it's not working with components like cpu. I even imagined to place there 1700x or 1800x - i think at stock speeds they wouldn't push too much power, but as i understand there are affected by the same bug, too. My last hope is that someday someone will manage to hack BIOS to accept newer ZEN+ or ZEN2 which dont have such problems.

Finally, I am asking you for an advice.

4. CarthageKing

CarthageKing Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I did have 48GB RAM and I believe it could accept two 32GB sticks (I have two) for a total of 64GB RAM. The only issue is that I couldn't remove the RAM stick at the top because the heatpipes were in the way and I didn't feel confident removing those.

However with 48GB I ran into this "downclocks to 549MHz and stays there" problem. And I am now noticing is that it isn't just limited to after waking up from suspend in Linux Mint 19.1. The issue also happens after a fresh restart. I thought upgrading to the newest kernel version (5.1.2) would solve the problem but it didn't.

Now I put back the original 16GB (now 32GB total using matched RAM) AND also reinstalled Windows and I do not notice any downclocking behavior.

At a later time, I may try the 48GB route again with Windows 10 to see if the issue is due to mismatched RAM.

diabolusss likes this.
  5. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, what versions of M.2 NVMe PCIe our laptop support?
    x2? x4? Not sure..
    ;;
    In manual only says "The M.2 2280 slot supports both PCIe (NVMe) SSD and SATA SSD"
    ;;
    Find on main laptop page says "NVMe PCIe 3x4" - so is it really support it?)

p.s. thinking about new KC2000.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. DarkLrd

DarkLrd Newbie

Reputations:

Hi i have the same laptop i am interested in the details of how you got and then applied the the micro code updates to your bios i have my own SPI programmer and i am interested in working to unlock this laptops potential thanks and great work on this it would be great to see this laptop running a newer cpu.

7. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't say really but this is my ssd installed and work's perfect [​IMG]

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

8. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So when we getting a bios update so we can upgrade to a 3700X haha

dnak_ebloa and hmscott like this.
  9. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course, but by then piggs will have evolved into flying cars and hell would have frozen over

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Ryder23 likes this.
  10. beyiman

beyiman Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I bought a long time ago (like a year) the version with ryzen 5 1600 and 8 GB of RAM. I upgraded to 16 Gb RAM and put a SSD and im really happy with the laptop, but the CPU is starting to have poor performance in games like Battlefield V that is very cpu demanding game.
    I like to know if someone can upgrade the cpu to a ryzen 7 1700x or Ryzen 7 2700
    Sorry for my english, i'm spanish native speaker!