Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't for certain, but since the system already has a mini-DisplayPort output, I would think it very unlikely that the USB-C port would also support such connectivity. Thunderbolt 3 supports DP, but obviously since this is an AMD system, it doesn't have that.

Ryder23 likes this.
  2. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Gotcha! Display port and hdmi are working fine

3. DLz

DLz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys.
    So, after couple of days after installing the new RAM module, which, as Crucial says, should be compatible with the notebook, my laptop began to constantly crash (sometimes I wasn't even able to log in Windows). I got many BSODs (https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-cras...many-different-bsods-after-ram-upgrade-2.html) and all were hardware related. In the end, it was the Crucial module, so I'm going to send it back to Amazon. Weird thing was that I passed all the RAM tests (memtest86, windows memory test, ecc..) but in the end the system kept crashing. I even removed the samsung module and tested only the Crucial one, but got BSODs nonetheless. Another weird thing is that when there was installed only the Crucial module, the RAM speed was 2400 MHz and not 2666 MHz (I have the latest BIOS). The Crucial module has the XMP and is 2666 MHz, so I don't know why this was happening but it doesn't matter anyway. I'm writing this in case some of you decide to get the same module (Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2666 PC4-21300). I will buy another module, but this time it will be the same as the one that is already installed (DDR4 2400mhz 16GB samsung PC4-19200 M471A2K43CB1-CRC) expecially because it seems the laptop doesn't care if the module is XMP 2666 MHz, it will always bring it down to 2400 MHz (what a pity).

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Buy Kingston HyperX impact 2666MHz cl15. It is working with designed 2666MHz in gl702zc. I bought 2x8GB and everything is OK.
    The thing is it is working with 2666MHZ but with CL16! not module designed default CL15.
    I think that your XMP profile can work with 2666 and CL14/15 only and this laptop probably do not accept nothing less then CL16.

Wysłane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

DLz likes this.
  5. DLz

DLz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Crucial I bought is 2666 MHz and CL16 so should have worked fine a those parameters (when installed alone) but it didn't. It was 2400 MHz CL17 (like the samsung module). Thanks for the advice but tbh, I don't want go through the hassle of the BSODs to then send the module back expecially because I'm not going to replace also the origianal module in the near future so it would be pointless to buy a faster module. On this subject, is there a 100% working unlocked BIOS that can allow to reach 3000 MHz?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    diabolusss likes this.
  6. nioroso

nioroso Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone managed to disable the VGA bios voltage lock? There is no way to get voltages below 1.0v by bios editing, the BIOS just ignores them.

Its a little annoying having to use msi afterburner to lower voltages.
    Also on Linux there's no way to undervolt without bios mods.

7. CarthageKing

CarthageKing Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone experienced where after having putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it up again, the CPU clock speeds are stuck at an incredibly low speed like 549MHz?

I've been reading up on this Ryzen sleep bug but most of the problems describe an increase in clock speed after waking from sleep, not the reverse.

It's annoying since it'll be stuck like this until a restart. I experienced this while using Windows 10, go frustrated and installed Linux Mint 19.1, then experienced the same issue. And at least on Windows 10, I have observed that it will even downclock to this speed from a fresh restart as well. I have yet to notice it in Linux Mint 19.1.

I do not do any overclocking.

The only recent change I made to this laptop is upgrade one of the RAM to a Samsung 2666Mhz 32GB one. Previously I was running on a pair of Samsung 2400MHz 16GB for a total of 32GB. I'm thinking this could be the cause, which if actually true would be a bummer. I'll check this weekend and go back to the matching RAM configuration to see if that fixes it.

My specs:
    GL702ZC
    Ryzen 1700 (not OC)
    RAM: 1 Samsung 2400MHz (16GB) + 1 Samsung 2666MHz (32GB) for a total of 48GB

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is that still active? I thought that was a problem in the 1st generation Ryzen but was fixed? Here's what I found from 2 years ago:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/duplicates/5xyap2/roadtoryzen_amd_ryzen_overclock_sleep_bug/

Would you please post the links you have been reading about this problem? Anything newer than a couple of years ago?

Have you updated your motherboard / laptop BIOS to the current version?

Yes, try going back to the old memory and see if that "fixes" the issue. I don't recall seeing this sleep bug mentioned here in this thread before... I'll do a search. It's interesting that you didn't see it before switching memory and are now seeing it.

Thanks for posting!, sorry you are having trouble...

9. CarthageKing

CarthageKing Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I am on the latest 305 BIOS for this laptop. Right now I am running Linux Mint 19.1 using the 4.20.17-042017-generic kernel version.

This link describes my general problem but is for a different Ryzen CPU. His downclock is not as worse as mine though: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...er-awaking-from-sleep-mode-windows-10.234650/

These threads mention about the CPU going to 549 MHz but these guys were doing overclocking, which I'm not:
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...rock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-213.html
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...rock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-216.html
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ners-Overclocking-(The-2-2Ghz-Problem)/page10

This one is for a different laptop and Ryzen 2700. It mentions another sleep-related problem (garbled display after waking from sleep) which I experience for a bit in Linux Mint 19.1 but my laptop eventually recovers from. I included this because based on the diagnostics the guy is showing, his CPU is downclocked to 549MHz as well, which is the exact problem as mine: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/suspend...e-screen-acer-predator-helios-500-ryzen/77603

And I'm attaching and output as well showing the clock speeds and inxi command output before suspend and after waking from suspend.

Yep, will get some time this weekend to swap out the new RAM with the old one and retest.

hmscott likes this.
  10. CarthageKing

CarthageKing Newbie

Reputations:
    ...eh how do I attach an image?