Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Would I recommend it?
    Yes, but it depends on what you want/need to use it for.

As for people asking me in public if I pull out the power brick... lol... I hadn't been using the laptop in public (honestly, it's too expensive and big for that). I use it at a friends place for example and he was quite surprised to see how big/heavy the power brick actually was...

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think Freesync will work with newest drivers if you don't select a clean install when running the Radeon settings..
    Also... how the heck are you getting such low idling temperatures?
    My flat is relatively cool as well, but my idling temperatures are about 20 degrees higher than yours.
    I have yet to update the BIOS to 303 though... was supposed to do that before, but ended up with other issues (such a broken tooth that needed to be sorted). Will probably use a Windows flash utility in a few hours.

3. evolucion8

evolucion8 Newbie

Reputations:
    I did the regular upgrade install and while Freesync worked fine, I noticed that the drivers were old, didn't update them for some odd reason, in a second try, it did updated them but then Freesync stopped working. So I removed all AMD drivers, rebooted in safe mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller, rebooted, then installed the Chipset drivers with no Videocard drivers, rebooted, then installed the latest Adrenaline drivers, Freesync still didn't work, but then chose the Radeon (TM) RX 580 driver manually and then Freesync worked fine. Well, my laptop was idling that low cause my room was like around 54F (11C) and I left it idle doing nothing, but during web browsing was on the low 30's. But according to my findings, the latest 303 BIOS improves the cooling performance by using a more refined fancurve, also allows the fans to be turned off once they go around 35C or less (Not exactly sure which number is), something that didn't happen with the previous BIOS. I haven't done any changes with the cooling, all that I did was just swapping the RAM into two sticks of 8GB at 2,400MHz.

4. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I plan on taking this thing to class and back, would you say that would be hard to do?

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It shouldn't be difficult at all.
    Mind you, the laptop is not exactly light with the power brick, but it's more than manageable.

If you place it in an adequately sized backpack, it should be fine... however, if I was in your position, I'd also make sure to have adequate space for the laptop in class along with being close to a power socket.
    Also make sure no one tries snatching it.

6. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've read through the thread but I need clarification on idle temps, temps when stress testing, web browsing/watching videos, and temp examples when gaming. Also please comment on fan noise while doing these things. Are the fans pretty audible at idle under normal room temp conditions(70-77c ambient).

It just feels like Asus has really been sub par when it comes to their cooling, trying to appease people by making their gaming laptops more like a macbook. Back in the day the G73 had great cooling...the more recent g752 has had great cooling as well. I had the g752 with the gtx970 and it performed great. But I'm noticing a trend lately that they are making these gaming laptops thinner and lighter and temps / noise levels are bad.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Asus has indeed been subpar with their cooling... especially in GL702ZC.
    This is a 17" machine, and to think the fans get ridiculously loud wile running at maximum is... unwarranted.
    I opened the laptop to install another 16GB RAM and enable dual-channel and I had to remove the cooling assembly to do it as 2 copper pipes are running above the RAM slots.

Asus had more than enough space to integrate bigger/better (and much less noisy) fans with a better implementation of cooling pipes... also, I don't think their thermal paste (type and application) is particularly efficient.

The RX 580 in this laptop is limited to 68W. It's more efficient than mobile 1060 limited to 80W while giving same or better performance... technically, such a low power limitation for a GPU shouldn't be producing 85 degrees C at maximum during gaming, and the CPU shouldn't get up to 85 degrees C either (or higher) while maxed out in a 17" chassis.

At best, I'd expect 70 degrees C at maximum when the GPU is fully stressed, with CPU maybe producing 75 degrees C on full stress (these temps should apply to when both the CPU and GPU are stressed at maximum at the same time).

AMD made rather efficient hardware... but Asus managed to royally mess up the implementation of the said hardware in this unit.
    They provided an inadequate battery, run of the mill SSD (though I can easily let that one slide as any SSD is better than not having one), 16GB RAM in single-channel mode (I mean, come on, they should have given us 2 x 8GB to run dual channel, or 2 x 16GB), a measly 1TB HDD (5400RPM) while the cooling ended up a mere afterthought, or being designed by an amateur, and asking £1600/$1600 for the laptop.

For $1600/£1600 I'd expect at least a double capacity battery, far superior cooling (that's much quieter), 32GB RAM running in dual-channel mode, 512GB SSD and 2TB HDD along with an unlocked BIOS for voltage modification (so we can play with undervolting the CPU and GPU much like on a desktop).
    And guaranteed BIOS update for Ryzen+, Ryzen 2 and Ryzen 3.

This laptop could have been great... but it almost feels like a 'poorly implemented prototype'.
    Mind you, most Asus laptops (of the ROG variety) seem to be suffering from cooling issues as well... which means, Asus needs better engineers.

Dennismungai likes this.
  8. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for this update.

Seems I'll be skipping Asus for the foreseeable future.

9. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The temps you are expecting requires real cooling in a slightly beefier laptop, like the old GL752VS.

If you are gaming try putting vsync on(although kind of defeats the purpose of having freesync possibly) to reduce the gpu load in most games...is it still climbing in the 80s?

Your comments pretty much sums my overall suspicion after seeing most review. But the intel version, or GL702VS with the 7700 and gtx1070 also had issues with bad temps and noise. So it's not like they didn't mess up on the intel version either. They are simply trying to have more mass appeal by making these beasts more compact...and lighter for those that desire to really use this on the go. For me I don't mind a little extra weight and size if it means the cooling is a bit more robust. I thought the gl752vs may be a tad bulky because of the nice bigger rear vents, but to me, the cooling made it the most ideal gaming laptop. I'd like to see the specs of the GL702VC in this GL752vs chassis:

[​IMG]

^ Put a amd 1700x in that, and a rx580 8gb and now we are talking about the perfect laptop that I would definitely pay extra for.

I almost pulled the trigger too and bought the gl702vc. But I really can't stand excessive noise and ridiculous temps. If I wanted thin, light, and noisy fans I'd get a macbook pro.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't think the thickness of GL702ZC is the problem... as there's enough space in a 17" chassis alone to include bigger and higher quality fans and better cooling assembly.

But, Asus may have intentionally made the battery non-removable and lower capacity to make it appear 'thinner' (which also doesn't keep track with some reviewers who claim that it's on the bulkier end... it's actually on the thinner end of 17" laptops).

All in all, I like the laptop, but I also can't forgive Asus' negligence in hardware implementation.
    If my unit breaks down again, I'll probably ask for a refund and might opt for an Acer Nitro 5 instead (the upcoming one with Ryzen APU and RX 560). Not as powerful, but it probably won't be plagued with many design issues that Asus put in this unit, and it will be about £500/$500 cheaper than GL702ZC.

Btw... I noticed that after updating the BIOS to 303 version (latest one), the Asus ROG gaming center installation gets broken in the sense you cannot remove it from the system. Same thing with Ryzen Master.
    The programs still work, but you just can't remove them as the OS gives me an error. This happened before when I updated the BIOS to 208 version as well.... but only the gaming center, and Ryzen master seem affected.