Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    finally got my laptop back from RMA and i'm disappointed with results. However, my post is not about that...
    In Advanced Mode(F7) there is "SVM mode" option which stands for "Amd secure virtual machine". I have latest bios - 305.

2. Horstag

Horstag Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks to Seltz08! It worked!

Instead of using m.2 to SATA 3 adapter I just used one of my old 2.5'' SSD. Replaced it with original 1TB 2,5" HDD (D: drive), and then cloned OS to 2.5'' SSD. Then I replaced my original 256 Gb m.2 with new 2TB Samsung m2 Evo, and powered laptop. Then I once again cloned OS, this time from 2.5'' SSD to my new 2TB m.2.
    at last just replaced 2.5'' SSD with original 2.5'' HDD, and BOOM everything works like a charm! I even didn't have to go into BIOS to change boot order.

Thanks you !!!! :*

Seltz08 likes this.
  3. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Everyone. I have an issue. I'll make a long story short. I RMAed my GL702ZC because of an intermittent fan issue. Instead, they put in a new motherboard. Due to Microsoft's Spotify I could not restore my laptop, necessitating a re-install of Win10 and I chose the version that keeps your user files.. Now, its become unstable, slow and, amongst many other ugly issues, I can't get Origin to install, so all those games are no longer playable, BFV, Apex Legends, etc - I've spoken with EA, the only thing left is to do a complete Windows re-install, getting rid of everything.

Now, I have an almost new (written-to once) 512GB SSD (850 EVO) with some games on it that I will want to keep - if possible, an an old (partial) Win10 install. At this point the SSD that came with our machine will have been overwritten three times. How, once I get it swapped out do I re-install the ASUS stuff? Will it mess with the BIOS? How do I return it to an ASUS Strix GL702ZC, I assume most of what makes it that resided on the SSD that I want to replace. I am semi-computer-literate. Someone please help me return my laptop to ASUS new so I can rebuild it without the problems, but with the newer SSD? It ran perfectly before I RMAed it. I want to scream.

As it stands now, I alternately want to cry or tear my hair out. Most of my game progress, those not stored on the user folder, were reset. Bye bye my stable of cars in DiRT Rally and DiRT , as well as my progress. This all just sucks.

Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019 at 12:57 PM
  4. Erik C. Stubblebine

Reputations:
    ...Additional I have a recovery USB I created in Oct. For some reason it wont read from it. I do the usual F2, change boot order to USB first. Then it's just an endless loop of picking keyboard layouts and choosing which drive to boot from. What gives? I've tried Googling it and all I find are articles about it not 'seeing' the USB. I know, what a mess. From a perfect computer, a three week RMA, new motherboard, stability issues, etc., etc. No way to swap SSDs if I can''t even use the system recovery USB. Also, according to HWInfo64 Secure Boot is red and says 'Not Present' - note: it was not like that when I sent it in.

Please help.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. Erik C. Stubblebine

Reputations:
    Ditto, I too just got my laptop back from RMA - some repair facility in Texas - and am disappointed. Please read my two posts below. It was a perfect, perfect machine except for an intermittent fan issue. They replaced the motherboard, for some reason, and now nothing but troubles. I think the only thing left is for them to send me a new SSD with the ASUS boot drive, software, etc. and I'll just stick it in myself. I hope they agree with my solution. I sent them a perfect computer and they returned an unstable piece of garbage. They too gave me a/the new AGESA BIOS 305.

6. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm really sorry to hear that and i hope that they will solve this problem for you.

The reasons i had RMA'd my notebook were: strange fan noise, cpu marginality problem and a hidden one: a component near battery connector has changed coloring and i thought that it's going to brake at some point. It's 2R2 733 VBF, i don't know what it is.
    And i was disappointed, because i received same looking MB(same strange coloring of component mentioned above) and cpu with the same marginality problem. Luckily for all of us service and AsusTek provided me serial numbers of new parts and they matched. Sadly i need to give it back again to change CPU... New CPU seems to be more stable than previous one, but still it throws segfaults in kill-ryzen check.

Moral of this story is that services should print S/N's of important parts of notebook in invoice both before RMA and after to avoid such confusions and possible accusing.

Attached Files:

Erik C. Stubblebine likes this.
  7. Seltz08

Seltz08 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

No problem, glad it worked. It went fairly smoothly for me as well, bios knew the correct boot orders..
    I do have some belief in what DarkLrd Said about doing a fresh install running better. But that has some variables... Ie, is it running better because of removed bloat, or from removed cloned drivers/items associated to the previous m.2... Its hard to say for me right now, my 970pro still pulls 2-3gb/s when bench marked... but i still feel this computer boots slower than my MSI GE62.. with slower drives... IDK.. maybe one day i'll backup and wipe the drive and try to start over to see if there's a difference in anything..

Otherwise, my new fans came in from china yesterday... they have asus stickers on them, I cannot find any discernible difference of them being a knock off, so im happy to be OC again. Currently running a 3425mhz at 1.075volts, with a 44% fan boost and a laptop cooler under it. Stayed healthy under 75c on a stress test this morning. I did notice it would get to the 75/76 mark, then im not sure if windows system cooling policy clicked in, but temps would drop to 72-73 with maybe a slightly noticed fan curve increase.. but absolutely 0 thermal throttling. It's making me consider pulling it back apart and check out/re-apply my liquid metal.

In other news, I've been kicking the idea of swapping my ram out again. I would like to try 2666. One guy on the Asus forum is swearing the 702zc wont run above 2400... but i thought someone here was running it. And Crucial is showing a 'compatible' ballistic set(2666mhz 2x16 with a CL16). Im currently running basic crucial 2400 CL17 2x16gb... seems ok.. But I bought when ram was still pretty high..
    https://amzn.to/2UND1t4
    (link to the ram i intend to buy)

But this did bring up something really fun... on amazon, they now have a 'compatibility check'... seems all 702zc have some extra part numbers I wasn't quite aware of... and this might bring up a level of questioning for the components within.. I couldn't find any of these model numbers(without going into my bios yet) see attached photo.

But I think I will upgrade my ram and do a couple planned cooling mods, but this will be my last upgrades. All things considered, primarily the lack of caring Asus seems to actually give about this thing... Speaks a lot to me and is obviously a big issue with most people here.
    The Acer helios 500 has been the only thing that has spanked my system in cinebench(my top being 1660) and it looks to have the things we are lacking on the 702zc... 4 memory slots not blocked by the heatsink, xmp profiles for ram overclocking, bios isn't locked down... I was intending to go so far as watercooling my 702 with some arduino water cooling parts and some custom 3d metal printed heat syncs and such at work.. but I don't think I will do that anymore.. if the acer has everything I/we need with roughly the same heating issues, I'll probably get it by the end of the year and work on water cooling right away.

Attached Files:

Erik C. Stubblebine likes this.
  8. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm currently using Kingston HyperX Impact 2x8GB 2666MHz CL15 - it is working fine on defalut XMP profile. I don't remember if it is workin in CL15 or CL16 mode but it is deffinatelly working with 2666MHz.

9. Erik C. Stubblebine

Reputations:
    I have a question you just might have the answer to. Is the following compatible with our GL702ZC; I plan on replacing the existing SSD with the following:
    WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0B/dp/B073SBX6TY

Any input is appreciated. Also, any guidance as to how to clone the ASUS boot partition, etc. would be appreciated. I've been having stability issues since it returned from an unfortunate RMA - you can read more about it above. I plan on just rebuilding the laptop on the new SSD, just like when I first got it. I'm not a newb, but I've never done this before, so any suggestions or advice or instruction would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

10. Erik C. Stubblebine

Reputations:
    Sadly, they did not. I plan on rebuilding it on a new, larger SSD. - WD Blue NAND 500GB M.2 2280
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0B/dp/B073SBX6TY

I need help cloning over the boot partition, drivers, windows, etc from the existing SSD. I plan on returning it all to factory before I do it, so it will be a clean, fresh W10 install. Can this be done using a few 32GB USB flash drives?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019 at 1:00 PM