Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well there's 6 core Intel CPU's coming to laptops if you can't get a decent AMD based laptop:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/li...-i7-hexacores-for-laptops-surface-online.html

Deks likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am aware of that, but I also don't want to support Intel either exactly due to their dirty business practices in the past to cut out AMD out of the loop which resulted in present state of affairs.
    I think Intel needs a big time-out (and Nvidia isn't exactly better considering their preference for closed-source software and large amounts of devs optimising for them).

Mind you, AMD is just another corporation that also wants to earn profits (so I'm not trying to glorify them), however, they made a really efficient design with Ryzen and also with Polaris (considering the manuf. process they used is suited for low clock speeds), not to mention future compatibility for Ryzen+, Ryzen 2 and Ryzen 3 (which indicates potential for easy upgrade path - especially if Asus releases that AGESA BIOS update for GL702ZC).

Otherwise, I was considering a potential option to get an all AMD desktop and eventually get myself a Raven Ridge laptop (or wait for laptops with Ryzen refresh and Vega GPU's - the 12nm LP process will likely enable much higher clock speeds at same or lower TDP levels and correct Vega's issues with power draw as the 12nm LP is suited for high performing parts after all - much like the processes used by Intel and Nvidia ).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Robbo99999 likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1060N and this underclocked mobile RX 580 are both around 65W/80W TDP/TGP.
    NBC recorded 72W (GPU core only) in Heaven at 100% GPU load for this RX 580 (listed at 65W TDP):

[​IMG]

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even so, the offset from 68W limit is by 4.2W... not a large difference - or the GPU-Z software might be reading it wrong (because the GPU is an unknown for the software - despite it being essentially downclocked RX 580 - it still registers as a new hardware configuration) - and the cooling should still be able to easily handle it without massive noise.

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC Ryzen Laptop Review
    Published on Jan 5, 2018
    ”ROG Strix GL702ZC is the world's first gaming laptop featuring the AMD Ryzen™ 7 processor - Learn more at https://goo.gl/vbwscr
    Available at Amazon- https://goo.gl/7Tgfa2

7. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates on your RMA?

hmscott likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My RMA you mean?
    If so, that's already been resolved.
    Got my laptop back just after boxing day (2017).

I also upgraded the RAM to 32GB and now have dual-channel operational.

If Asus updates the BIOS on this machine for future Ryzen CPU's... then potential upcoming upgrades will be: Ryzen+ (12nm) or Ryzen 2 (7nm), and 32GB 3200 MhZ (provided the RAM prices go down).
    I might also replace the Wifi card eventually and SSD to a larger capacity one (and of course, better HDD - or high capacity SSD for the secondary drive if prices go down significantly).

Who knows.
    If AMD makes a nice APU on 7nm that's comparable or better than 1700 in performance (it's likely going to be better at that point), but also has a Vega iGP, then I will probably upgrade to that... as igp inclusion might enhance battery life on the go.

hmscott likes this.
  9. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So in all, you would still recommend this laptop. Also, do you people ask questions when you pull out the power brick in public?

10. evolucion8

evolucion8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received this laptop last week and its performance is amazing, the only thing that I didn;t like is that it only has a single audio jack so you can't connect headphones with mic jacks unless if the splitter actually works, also mine came with a single 16GB memory stick which hampers the CPU performance by a noticeable margin instead of having it dual channel. Ordered a pair of 8GB X 2 Crucial sticks and replaced the single 16GB with them and the bandwidth sensitive scores are up by a decent margin.

Also another funny thing. If you install AMD's official drivers for the GPU, it would automatically recognize it as AMD RX 580 series and Freesync will stop working. It would detect the videocard with no problems. After several troubleshooting steps, the fix was to select the driver manually as Radeon (TM) RX 580, don't choose AMD Radeon RX 580, Radeon RX 580 series or AMD Radeon RX 580 series, otherwise Freesync will never work, does not make any sense lol.

Ah and the Power Efficiency option on AMD's Radeon settings does work amazingly well, no performance drop and when you are watching videos or surfing the web, the GPU will stay downclocked longer. If you don't enable that option, the GPU would be ramping up so often that the fans would be constantly on for no reason. Ah last note, with the latest BIOS update 303, the fans totally turn off when the temps are below 35C on the GPU and CPU. Right now my CPU is idling at 23C and my GPU is idling at 25C and no fan is spinning (My Room is at 18C)

Make sure that the very first thing to do once you get this laptop, is to update the BIOS to 303.

hmscott likes this.