Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, reviews of Helios 500 with all AMD hardware seem really good in the sense that its very quiet when running on full load and obviously, the GPU is more powerful than RX580 in GL702ZC.

What should I be looking for in Helios500 (AMD) in regards to the radiator?

The quality of Acer Helios500 seems to be quite good. Acer pulled out all of the stops for it thus far, but if you have anything specific to comment on it that I might have missed, please let me know.

I'd be ok with a mid range GPU of RX580 performance, but with a refund and looming Zen 2/Navi... its possible upcoming laptops will actually have Zen2 and Navi combo (or basically 1080/V64 level of performance) which would obviously be better.

I was looking at Acer Nitro due to its' dedicated GPU... as Vega 8 would be too weak to run some things properly.
    I was also worried it might be limited to single-channel too, but that HP Envy 15 x360 while definitely looks good, doesn't seem to have a dGPU and it costs £1050 in Curry's.
    Overpriced for what it is.... unless you have cheaper options in UK?

Btw, this Acer Nitro 5 with 2500u and RX560X seems to have dual-channel support.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-...adeon-RX-560X-FHD-Laptop-Review.373166.0.html

Meh... price of that Nitro is still too high for what it offers.

hmscott likes this.
  2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I’m convinced. Curious how memory voltage in Wattman controls core voltage.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I sent the laptop back to LaptopsDirect today.
    We'll see what happens from this point on.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  4. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was wondering about your situation (buying laptop after full refund).
    If I were you I would probably buy another GL702ZC.
    Yes, I know that your experience with it isn't exactly good ;)
    The thing is... you will get around 1700GBP... and now GL702ZC is for around 1050GBP.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's great news, I hope the Acer Helios 500 AMD model comes through for you in the UK!

I checked on the Acer UK site and was surprised to find no AMD listing of the Helios 500, it's currently for sale on the US Site:

Predator Helios 500 Gaming Laptop - PH517-61-R0GX
    $2,199.99 Part# NH.Q3GAA.001
    https://us-store.acer.com/predator-helios-500-gaming-laptop-ph517-61-r0gx

And, it's even cheaper on newegg, with an openbox one available too:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100173423&IsNodeId=1&Description=2700&name=Gaming Laptops&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=60&isdeptsrh=1

There is one listing on ebay.uk, but it's coming from the US...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Pre...h=item4b51d3e838:g:KZsAAOSw4UlbwAqD:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. meteeusz

Reputations:
    By the way,
    For those who are using Ryzen Master to OC/undervolt CPU.

There is program witch starts up with windows to OC/undervolt by changing P States.
    It is working really good on GL702ZC.
    You should try it - Asus ZenStates

I did some tests lately and managed to achieve:
    P2: stock 1550MHz@0,875V to 1600MHz@0.650V
    P1: stock 2700MHz@1.050V to 3200MHz@1.000V
    P0: stock 3000MHz@1.188V to 3600MHz@1.188V

All tested with full load with OCCT Linpack+AVX

I did some tests with games too and it is 100% stable with my CPU.

I did some test to get better thermal results also.
    If you are playing eg NFS payback or Titanfall2 with AMD Chill (40-60FPS) there is no difference in FPS between CPU on 1600MHz and 3600MHz.
    But the power draw is a lot lower. By playing on P2 state only I achieve -10C on CPU (68C down to 58C with lower cpu fan speed).

diabolusss and hmscott like this.
  7. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Incredible app, thank you for sharing it. Just to test how it's working i set P0 to 1600MHz@0.650V and it's working without reboots. Finally we can throw away RyzenMaster.
    However, i have problem with P1-2 states, they don't gets enabled. Could you share your recipe how do you made it working, what power plan and settings do you use, etc.
    Interesting how low cpu frequency and voltage can go at the same time leaving cpu usable?

UPD Seems it's not working without Ryzen Master. Next day i have started laptop with ZenStates enabled and without enabling Ryzen Master profile, ZenStates had made no changes in P states. I have had to enable RyzenMaster profile first(and obviously reboot) and only then ZenStates started to work.
    Well, at least it gives more control over cpu frequency.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. meteeusz

Reputations:

I checked even 800MHz but performance wasn't good so I do not even check lowest voltage it can run stable.

You can check if P0, P1, P2 are working correctly by changing min/max cpu load in your power plan (no matter which one you are using).
    I'm changing it with PPM panel (on screenshots). Don't be suprised PPM panel can't read actual cpu speed. It can only read original P states.
    upload_2019-1-20_0-27-39.png
    As you can see P2 is when performance is in 0-90% range.
    P1 91-99%
    P0 is only at 100%

Don't be confused it is not CPU load. Just change "Maximum Performance, %"and "Minimum Performance, %" to check state you want to.
    In above example I'm stuck with P2.

Here you can see P1 only (min/max performance 91/92).

upload_2019-1-20_0-37-12.png

If you set min/max performance both to 100 you will get P0 all the time.

Unfortunately when you left min/max on stock (5/100) system will automatically set power state no one knows how... just ask M$ ;)
    It is always jumping across P0/P2 in my case. Even with very light CPU load.

I'm working on manually set P2 all the time to test if it is 100% stable.
    I'm really shocked it can run 1600MHz@0.650V...

If you leave min/max default then in games you will always be on P0... doesn't matter if game is generating only 5% CPU load on P0...
    I tested CPU load through all P states in one game and it is scaling eg P1@3200 10% load = P2@1600 10% load.
    I really don't know why it is so aggressive and always jump to P0 even if it will be more efficient to stay at P1 or even at P2...
    It was the same before OC on stock Win10.
    I do not have solution for less aggressive changing P states right now.

P.S.
    Check "Performance Bias" in Asus ZenStates :). Check your CB R15 score when set to improve Cinebench R15... this is... woooow... what is it doing? Can anyone explain me?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  9. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried what you have said, but i can't change states by modding performance values. In screenshots attached you can check that.
    p1-state-test.PNG p1-state-test2.PNG pstate-cpu-freq-disperancy.PNG
    I noticed that sometimes voltage values drops to some mentioned values, but it's not related to performance values.
    It seems that RyzenMaster doesn't like low frequency values as it frequently hangs when i open it just to check values. And Gaming Center cpu frequency is fluctuating and values are far below than in other monitor apps. With 16.00x set in ZenStates it prints values around 800-900Mhz.

10. meteeusz

Reputations:
    ROG Gaming center is not showing cpu speed correctly after any frequency mod. :/. I can have 8GHz in ROG Gaming Center ;) Best Ryzen on the market ;).

It is working correctly, ryzen master is detecting settings applied in ZenStates:

upload_2019-1-21_0-2-4.png

It is strange that HWIifo didn't recognize APCI fan sensors on your screenshots...
    SoC Voltage is different (a lothigher at mine GL702ZC). It looks like you undervolt memory controller with Ryzen Master.

You can easily change performance values by editing power plan with windows if it isn't working with PPM (advanced options in power plan edition).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019