Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I got another reply from LaptopsDirect head of customer service:

"Good Evening,

Thanks for supplying the report.

Can you confirm the fault is when running all games/programs or is it only certain ones. This might affect some of the resolutions we can offer.

Can you confirm if you are happy to return the laptop to us? I am not saying this is for repair. We need to asses what condition the unit is in and ensure the unit is still complete as supplied.

Kind Regards

Alfie"

I am getting a distinct impression he is still trying to say that if the GPU performs like this in newest games, he will simply turn around and say that this is a case of being unhappy with general system performance and that I'm running the games and software at 'too high settings' that would prove too much for the system to handle (which is NOT the case).

Is he willingly turning a blind eye to a third party certified report which says the GPU is underperforming by up to 4.5 times LESS compared to identical units that don't have the issue, and the fact I already explained to him that the unit has more than enough power to run modern software smoothly (which is evident from the report itself because healthy units don't have these problems)?

Sigh... I'm getting exasperated at this.
    Maybe I should politely tell him that given his responses, he is apparently ignoring the independent certified report from an IT engineer and that I should probably take them to court as we've been 'discussing' this problem now for over a week, and the premise the unit has a history of 2 failures... first of which happened a month after I bought it.

As for them assessing the condition of the unit... Its in the original configuration as shipped... there's nothing 'missing'.
    I'm not too sure if I'm willing to return the laptop to them under these conditions without getting assurances of what's going to happen or what I'm getting in exchange for sending it to them (as you can understand I am sceptical that they won't try something given the appalling customer service and lack of communication they displayed between their own departments).

I'll contact Citizens Advice and ask them about it, but I'd welcome your inputs too.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Raiderman likes this.
  2. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I suppose no one can confirm that as no one can check all, even newest, games&programs.

And i think that you have been more than simply polite and tolerant to them the whole time this mess happens. You have already explained them and provided the facts about the issue with laptop, so there is no need to add anything. Another option is to try to speak with head of Alfie about taking them to the court. If they are smart enough, then maybe it will help, if not then i wish you a good luck and success in the court.

Finally, I wouldn't believe them and would return it only in two scenarios:
    1. in return to the money
    2. or in presence of independent third party, like you did regarding unit test.
    ps. sorry about grammar mistakes, if any...

Raiderman, Papusan and Deks like this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

You summed up my concerns exactly.

Here's what I composed as a potential reply (its a draft which I intend to discus with Citizens Advice before sending it to Alfie) :

Good evening Alfie

As per my own report which is backed up by third party certified engineer, the issue persists throughout all suite of software and games.
    This is not a case of general performance being inadequate (as I already said several times before)... this is a clear hardware fault which renders this unit unusable for what it was advertised (gaming).

As for sending you the laptop for assessing the unit to ensure it is still complete as supplied... I can assure you that the unit is as it was originally shipped (meaning, there's nothing missing from it and has all original parts). It is also in excellent condition given the circumstances.

I am afraid I cannot part with the unit until I have written assurance that you will adequately compensate me (with either a brand new replacement - I will NOT accept a refurbished unit - which should include extended warranty given the circumstances, or a refund), and even then I would of course need the laptop to be signed for and in the presence of third party.

I hope you understand that I am sceptical of what will happen once the laptop is no longer with me given my past experience with LaptopsDirect customer service (which was unhelpful and kept pointing me to Asus, never saying that I could actually claim a refund from you even though I called and asked about it when the unit broke down the first two times - this is the only reason I used Asus RMA service on both occasions, because at the time, LaptopsDirect gave me the impression I had no other choice, and Asus themselves kept saying something else), and seeming lack of communication between your company departments (which also failed to notify you of my phone call last Monday).

I find this kind of experience disturbing, indicative that LaptopsDirect are being evasive and have very poor customer service.

Alfie, I have met your conditions for demonstrating the unit is faulty, and have supplied you with more than enough documentation which back up my claims.

It is your turn to provide me with adequate solutions so we can proceed further and resolve this matter.
    If you cannot or refuse to do so, then I am afraid I will have no choice but to take this unit and all associated documentation to court with assistance from Citizens Advice for consumer law and Trading standards to resolve this issue there as swiftly as possible.

Kind regards

If you have suggestions on amending the letter to be better, please do so. :)

4. Csaba Toth

Csaba Toth Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone experiencing random abrupt restarts? I have those randomly since the purchase (2018 February), lately maybe more frequently, sometimes just twice a week, sometimes multiple times a day. Since the latest BIOS I can see sometimes an error message right after the reboot:

[ 0.052000] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
    [ 0.052000] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff884f13b4 MISC d01200010100000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
    [ 0.052000] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1546836037 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 8001137
    [ 0.070212] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 10: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
    [ 0.070212] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff88968f10 MISC d01200010100000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
    [ 0.070212] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1546836037 SOCKET 0 APIC a microcode 8001137​

I tracked it down that it's possibly and AMD Ryzen 7 CPU specific error:
    The problem is that the workaround supposed to be disabling SMT or uOP Cache in the BIOS, however I cannot find such in the GL702ZC's mickey mouse BIOS.

Raiderman likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hm... can't say I experienced these problems with mine when I bought it.
    What you could try is updating Windows to the latest version... and try express installing latest GPU and chipset drivers (over the original OEM drivers).

If that doesn't work, you could try resetting the OS completely, or do a clean install of Windows Home 10 x64 (but if you do this, make sure to backup the existing system to the USB drive).

6. Csaba Toth

Csaba Toth Newbie

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention that I'm using Linux, more specifically Devuan Linux (which is a "de-Poeterized" Debian derivative, no systemd), 4.18 kernel. After those surprise restart I cannot find any information whatsoever in any logs. I guess it's so serious and sudden that the logging cannot happen.

Also, this machine is a software developer machine, which means that it never gets such a stress as a laptop would get from hours of game play, but I'm typing every day 8am-midnight.
    The crashes don't happen to be caused by any system load whatsoever. I had maybe 3 cases of restarts because of overheat (temperature rose above 90 Celsius during the summer heat in Fresno, now I don't know why that wouldn't just cause a throttle down). I'm using a laptop cooler since then. On the Phoronix forums I didn't come across other GL702ZC Linux who reported this. But from the error report it pretty much matches desktop people's error reports.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't use Linux, so I wouldn't be of much help there.
    What about your BIOS?
    Is it updated to the latest version?
    Also, RyzenMaster allows you to undervolt the CPU (though, not sure if AMD made it for Linux), so that could definitely help out.

8. Csaba Toth

Csaba Toth Newbie

Reputations:
    The error message what I quoted comes really in the very early phases of the machine boot/BIOS. In fact before any other character output appears. I have the latest BIOS, Version 305 which added the long awaited switch to turn on the hardware virtualization features of the AMD CPU, very useful for virtual machines. I'd rather be happy with an old-school character based blue-red AMI BIOS which has plenty of options rather than the shiny Mickey Mouse one without much settings. This is important because for the desktop people the workaround for this AMD CPU bug is to disable the SMT (hyper-threading - this would be OK with me, Ryzen 7 has enough cores even without SMT), or disable the uOP Cache in the BIOS. Unfortunately I don't see either of these in GL702ZC Mickey Mouse BIOS though.

I cannot seem to add my screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/V1qJHSBEMtr4LBZC9

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Btw guys... further to my above problem, I just became aware of BBC Watchdog and am composing a letter that I could send to them online in regards to this issue.
    I'll wait until morning/early afternoon until I have been in contact with Citizens Advice to see what they say to this latest evasive response and see how to proceed.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Got a response within an hour of sending that email (looks like using the word 'court' expedites their responses too). :

Good Afternoon,

To confirm, we are not disputing a refund for the item.

Unfortunately, we would not offer a refund whilst the unit is still in your possession. We require the unit to be returned to us and obviously be in adequate condition.

There is no need to take matters further, this would only prolong the issue. If you organise return of the laptop to us we will process a refund within 28 days of receipt as long as the laptop is of the condition you have stated.

Kind Regards

Alfie

I provided him with pictures of the unit too (freshly taken this morning).
    Do you think getting a refund within 28 days is a suitable agreement (I certainly think it should be shorter - 5 to 10 working days at most)?
    Trying to get in touch with Citizens Advice to see what they say about this... but I suspect they will just say it looks genuine (unless they say that 28 days is too long a time to wait for a refund).

Raiderman, hmscott and Papusan like this.