Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah... companies can pretend to be willfully ignorant here. There are all sorts of laws in place that should protect consumers, but retailers aren't apparently obligated to inform you of your rights... and will easily just spin you around in circles on smallest of 'technicalities'... basically, bureaucracy at its worst.

It only shows they don't care about consumer rights and they don't want to part with the money I gave them.
    Fine... worst comes to worst, they will have the law to deal with... but its pathetic that things reached this stage in the first place.

2. ceegii63

ceegii63 Newbie

Reputations:
    i know this has been asked time and againm and has been ansered numerous times, but i just got this laptop and im wondering if Upgrading it voids the Warranty, what exact RAM. M.2/NVME and SSD can be used on it

what exact model RAM, compatible NVME and SSD and what capacity we can use

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can upgrade the laptop's RAM, SSD and HDD without voiding the warranty.
    As for which RAM should work... any so-dimm DDR4 of at least 2400 MhZ should do... but 2600MhZ apparently works fine as well (though if you already have 2400 MhZ stick inside the laptop, I'd just get low latency 2600 or 2400 MhZ stick to activate dual channel, and if you get 2600 MhZ, just upgrade the orignal RAM stick to a faster one later on).

As for NVME... you can use M.2 SSD's easily of practically any capacity... similar with HDD replacement (just make sure the SSD is SATA - which most would be).
    I don't think we are limited in terms of which capacity M.2 SSD's or SATA SSD's we can use.
    Crucial has affordable higher capacity M.2 SSD's and SATA SSD's available which are also comparable in performance to more expensive brands.

However, I would recommend avoiding repasting etc. just in case, because, that apparently doesn't fly with Asus (and they could easily notice).

Also, keep all of the original parts that came with the laptop so that in case you need to RMA it, you can just return the machine to its default state (otherwise, Asus might think it was you who damaged something while upgrading and could void the warranty using that 'excuse' - manufacturers can be nasty like that regardless of the premise they give us the ability to upgrade certain things).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Got the IT technician report back along with the laptop.
    Uploaded (and edited out my name and address - obviously) for your review.

Already sent it off to mr. Alfie for his review too (that's all I said really).
    And I'll wait until about Monday or Tuesday at the latest for his reply.
    If he refuses to take it into account, then I'll probably send him another email saying I'll have no choice but to take them to court with all the documentation I have.

I'm not going to be messed about with anymore (And I didn't want to allow LaptopsDirect to take the laptop and examine it themselves due to severe mistrust in their ability to do so in an impartial capacity having experienced their 'customer support' - or lack thereof, and of course complete violation of Consumer law given all the evidence I supplied already).

Attached Files:

5. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I received my Asus yesterday, and promptly formated the hard drive and put windows 10 LTSC on it. (hate it) Until my 970 evo is delivered for Windows 7, but I tested SuperPosition Extreme, and my score was 1960. So, ya. yours is ****ed up, as if you didnt already know :)
    Hopefully you will get everything resolved soon.
    Did you find a way to get freesync enabled after updating the graphics driver? This is stupid. I did overclock the LCD though. Unfortunately I added the wrong version of this model into the cart and purchased it. I thought I was getting the model with the 120hz screen, but so far this one is clocked at 100hz with no errors.

hmscott and Deks like this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I knew the GPU wasn't performing properly way before the independent report.
    The only reason I had it done is because LaptopsDirect didn't want to acknowledge my report of the issue and because I don't trust them (the could have just lied through their teeth and said 'we didn't detect a fault' - dunno if they would actually do this, but given how their Customer services behave, lack of information flow between reps and head of customer service, I didn't want to leave it to chance).
    Point is, they sold me a dud.

To get/preserve Freesync functionality, you need to have original OEM drivers (from Asus website) installed on your machine, and then express install latest drivers on top of those.
    If you just clean install latest drivers, Freesync won't work (probably because the OEM drivers are specifically modified to detect the laptop's configuration and that it has Freesync capability).

Also, don't forget to install latest chipset drivers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    FYI - another rev of the Acer Predator Helios, now the 5000:
    Acer Predator Helios 5000 Notebook Ryzen 7 2700 + AMD Radeon Vega 56 32GB DDR4 256GB SSD 1TB HDD.jpg
    AMD Launch 2nd Gen Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile At CES 2019 !
    OWNorDisown
    Published on Jan 13, 2019
    AMD at CES 2019: Ryzen Mobile 3000-Series Launched, 2nd Gen Mobile at 15W and 35W to compete against the 15w and 35w Intel chips with integrated graphics. Combined with Vega graphics expect both better CPU and GPU performance plus also improved battery life.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-video-articles.826767/page-18#post-10847987

Raiderman likes this.
  8. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeap, I'm drooling over the new Ryzen,aybe even more if Asus would offer a bios update, as the performance gains would be 70-80% faster then 1700
    And the new 7nm procces would be a bliss for our cooling TDP

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  9. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like Windows 7 might be a no go. Ive tried two different ISO's, and was able to finally get the OS to load . No Asus ATK driver, which is the FN shortcuts, and the backlit keyboard. For some reason the AMD chipset driver is causing some BSOD's. I will have to research some more, in the meantime, I sent the Asus CEO"S office a nasty email about not offering Windows 7 drivers, as if it would do any good :confused:

Papusan, hmscott and diabolusss like this.
  10. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've done the same regarding BIOS update...

Raiderman likes this.