Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's possible something other than the core could be overheating, but the onus is on them to deliver what you paid for (a functional product) so let them figure out what the problem is and not risk warranty by DIYing something that could be a genuine hardware fault

hmscott likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

I just wrote back to Alfie, saying I called them on Monday and clarified some of the misunderstandings he wrote in the original email.
    I also copy/pasted extracts from EU consumer law as well.

I've told him I'm giving them 10 working days to resolve this issue and provide me with several solutions I would find satisfactory, and that I will be calling at some time tomorrow to confirm this over the phone.

Apart from that, I don't want just any laptop.
    I got the GL702ZC due to its powerful CPU and GPU... both of which are more than suitable for productivity and occasional gaming... plus the fact it has all AMD hardware in it.

I won't satisfy for anything less than that (so, no skimping on the CPU to get an overpowered GPU which would end up limiting my productivity on the unit).

hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was only speaking hypothetically... trying to pin down the issue.
    I wasn't going to do any DIY work on it and invalidate a perfectly good warranty (and legal case).

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's why I mentioned getting cash or store credit and wait for what you want to ship... there are a number of new Intel / Nvidia laptops coming in that range, and I would imagine AMD laptops with the new Ryzen 3rd generation will arrive sometime in 2H 2019.

IDK what other AMD laptop you could get now, other than the Predator Ryzen model...

Deks likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not sure if I can wait for nearly a year until Zen 2 laptops come out. Time-wise, I'd effectively be without a laptop for all that time as I gave my 5930G to my nephew in Croatia.
    Then again, the news did indicate that TSMC will be fairly underutilised in terms of capacity as far as 7nm goes... so mobile products might be released much earlier than expected (but who knows).

The Acer Predator Ryzen model seems like the most viable option for now if I can get it for £1700 as Curry's advertised (but if no one else in UK is offering it at that price, then I'd have to be forced with either getting a replacement/new GL702ZC or a full refund so I can pick another laptop with NV/Intel hw of comparable performance at least - or something less powerful to 'tie me over' until Zen 2 models come out (but this is obviously less ideal option as I don't want to waste money and if I get a laptop now, I'd prefer to keep using it for 3 or 4 years at least... maybe more).

Other than that, I would like to steer clear of NV/Intel options as I'm not exactly too sold on them and want to support AMD... plus I had a laptop with NV/Intel hw in Acer 5930G for 9 years... for once I'd like all AMD hardware in a laptop that the OEM didn't botch (technically I'm willing to write off the GL702ZC I got as a bad bug in the first batch - but Asus is playing dirty, and LaptopsDirect isn't exactly playing fair either, so getting a replacement or a refund is obviously a lot of work).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hopefully they just offer you an entirely new GL702ZC. The issues don't seem to be widespread and mine is running like a dream, so I'm inclined to think you just got a dud. In my mind the only real issues with the machine are:

1. Noise. It's able to keep the CPU/GPU cool enough (Intel/NV systems run just as hot if not hotter). But it's quite noisy while doing it unfortunately. I've been using ASUS ZenStates and MS Afterburner to undervolt and help keep it in check but it's still fairly noisy

2. The built-in panel Freesync issue with ASUS/AMD drivers. But to be honest I use DTR's with external monitors so it's not so much a problem for me. The lack of Wattman without a modded VBIOS is unfortunate too.

Hopefully we get ASUS or someone in the community who is knowledgeable to allow us to slot Zen 2 CPUs in when they finally arrive. Zen 2 looks so power efficient the non-X models may end up being even easier to cool than the R7 1700, hopefully helping to solve the noise!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Raiderman and hmscott like this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's the email I got from LaptopsDirect:

Thanks for your email.

Please accept my apologies, your call on Monday was not made aware to me.

Thank you for clarifying and apologies for the confusion. The graphs you have provided we cannot use as confirmation of a fault unfortunately, these do not show what you are running in the background amongst other things - the performance can vastly vary on many factors which the graphs do not illustrate.

The only way we’re able to properly identify if this unit still has hardware faults would be to get it back on site with ourselves for inspection. I’d be more than happy to collect this from you, then once back our tech team will inspect and test the laptop to confirm the fault. Once this has been confirmed, we’d then be able to provide you with some possible remedies. If you’re not happy to do this, we’d be happy for you to prove the fault through some sort of professional report – if this can be provided, we can offer you some possible remedies.

While I appreciate what you’re saying in regards to the unit breaking down for the first time, as it was over 30 days old, you was only entitled to a repair, while you also accepted the repair. If this repair (in the case a motherboard replacement) failed, you could then look into requesting a refund as a remedy. However, after the unit failed again for the second time, the remedy you accepted was a repair.

We do want to help get this resolved for you, however we would need to confirm that the unit is faulty before we can offer any potential remedies. As mentioned, we’re happy to get this back on site with our tech team to test, or we will accept a professional report that confirms a fault.

Many Thanks,

Alfie

OK... so I can send the unit back to LaptopsDirect for them to check it out... but I was contemplating about taking the laptop to a third party so they can do a checkup on it and verify the fault.
    Citizens Advice said I could take it to another trader who can simply run the needed tests that deals with these units... but the issue is... there don't appear to be any traders here in Edinburgh that have the laptop in stock (apart from maybe Amazon, but that's a can of worms I'm not sure I'd be willing to open).

They obviously won't accept a report from me... I can supply the guy with the video recording of the Superposition benchmark run to display the problem, but he probably won't accept that and will attribute it to 'settings being set too high', or something else.
    I need a valid comparative run of a healthy unit running the benchmark on the same settings as mine and showing a clear disparity in performance at least... but again, unless its a professional report, they will likely not accept it as a valid one.

I tried calling LaptopsDirect to speak with this Alfie, but they said they will give me a call back in about 2 hours with the details so I can speak to him or that they can resolve this issue.

I explained in detail over the phone on Monday the differences and the guy was not made aware of the call in the first place.
    This is just plain ridiculous. Who runs that place?

I cannot rely on them to run an impartial test on the unit given that my phone call never even reached this guy and are running me around in circles.

Also, they keep forgetting I tried calling LaptopsDirect the second time when the laptop broke down about a refund, but they just kept referring me to Asus (that its their problem to deal with via RMA), so I thought at the time that was my only viable option (they did the same thing when the laptop broke the first time).

Would dealing with an independent party that can test the unit be valid, and who could run that test?
    It would likely cost a lot of money (or some)... but if its not too expensive, I might be inclined to go for that as opposed to just sending it to LaptopsDirect.

Citizens Advice says I could take up LaptopsDirect on their offer they take in the unit and test it themselves to determine the fault and give them about 5 or 10 working days to resolve the issue.

I might not have any other option but to send it through to LaptopsDirect in that case as finding traders to do an independent testing of the machine would be too challenging (and I doubt a computer repair shop would do)/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You buy a high performance laptop, and expect it to perform at a high level. I dont think that is too much to ask. To me, Asus customer support really dropped the ball in this whole mess.
    I have a Delianware 13R2 that I bought used of Ebay, and 2 weeks later the motherboard failed. Granted, it was no longer under warranty, and I paid $230 for the repair, I found Dells support, fantastic. Even after the tech forgot to plug in the keyboard backlight cable, and I had to send it back. Dell ships a packing box(already paid), and you can track your repair on their site.
    All of this that @Deks is going through, has me worried about Asus' customer support.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Update...
    I've decided to take the laptop to a nearby repair shop that has a certified engineer. They said they can do testing and write up a report for me by tomorrow or Saturday and I will show them what's been happening.

I made it a point that they don't try to fix the laptop... but instead just write up a professional report on the GPU issue so I can submit that to LaptopsDirect.

Asus and LaptopsDirect both dropped the ball and are trying to spin this in circles.
    So I'm gonna have a third party independently test the gPU, write up a report on it and submit it to LaptopsDirect.
    And if at that point they are still evasive, then I'll probably take them to court (pending Citizens Advice suggestion).

10. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I'm really surprised that in civilized country/region this type of strange anti-consumer things are still happening.
    It's really bad to see such a incompetence and unbelief in FACTS on screenshots and recorded movies.
    GPU freq fluctuance is visible at first glance...

I was in better position than You, I have two GL702ZC so I just did the same test on both at the same time and environmental conditions.
    They just couldn't say that everything is OK because on movie wich I made there was huge difference in temperatures, fan speeds and performance.
    Of course in my case it wasn't mainboard failure, it was just not screwed radiator after mainboard replacement.
    After all they even offered me recompense of about 75-100 EUR. I didn't accepted it for different reasons but it was really OK to even have this kind of offer.