Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Vengace

Vengace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No,I changed our original bios codes.But I need know stable core clocks.I found omens Vbios.Now I am looking Omen's bios values.

2. diabolusss

diabolusss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But if i just dump my GL702ZC original vBios, add values that Judge Dredd 3D mentioned, i.e.
    which are zeroes by default and flash it back, will it be harmful?
    And is it possible to restore bricked gpu on this laptop if it has only one gpu and how?

Erik C. Stubblebine likes this.
  3. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1).- Yes, like any kind of modification and Bios flashing there is a risk of bricking your systems, that is something to consider and there are no guarantees it will be successful.

2).- You are saving YOUR OWN BIOS, not getting a random bios from the internet, it has to be your own copy, there is a chance that even between GL702ZC laptops there could be variations in GDDR5 brands, mine came with Samsung Memory. So you need to use AMD/ATI ATIFLASH see link bellow, DO NOT USE GPUZ to save the bios or other programs, they only save 256Kb and that is an incomplete Bios, this will brick your laptop, the complete Bios weights 512KB so make sure of the size.

3).- You only modify the the Powerplay table, nothing else, the default value on GPU/MEM is 0/0, the stock memory values on a Desktop RX580 is 2000/2250, this will not automatically overclock you RX580, it will only allow to modify the sliders on Afterburner and Wattman.

4).- I re-pasted the CPU/GPU with Conductonaut Liquid metal and undervolted my CPU with throttlestop, my temperatures playing BF1 after 1 hour hovers around 72c for CPU and 65-67c for GPU, this with 1370/2175Mhz overclock.

I hope this clears up any question.

Ps.Yes I took the risk by modifying the Bios, I was well aware of the consequences, make sure you save a Stock copy of your bios and good luck.

download link for AMD/ATI ATIFLASH
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. diabolusss

Reputations:
    2) Thank you for clarifying that, as i have seen videos where some overclockers advices to use GPU-Z with no warnings at all.

3) It comes that it's not possible to automatically overclock Ryzen cpu in GL702ZC laptop, so i am used to do that manually each time using Ryzen Master. Contrary to RyzenMaster, MSI Afterburner has a useful feature of enabling last working profile at system startup. If it's not automation, then lets call it semi automation.
    To conclude, if this will allow me to overclock RX580 manually using Afterburner and Wattman apps, then i'm totally fine with that.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

5. diabolusss

Reputations:
    Just strange thing happens when i checked AtiTool 026.
    When i enable "Show 3D view" and/or run "Scan for Artifacts" my GPU starts hissing, like it was mentioned somewhere in the middle of this thread. After RMA with the same problem there were no signs of that(or it was hidden).
    Maybe i havent noticed that because in GPU stress tests card hits 1077 MHz mark when it's already heated about 60C and then coolers are quite loud and hissing is masked. Somehow AtiTool switches card to 1077GHz from the start which makes hissing obvious.
    I suppose it's not normal, right?

6. Judge Dredd 3D

Reputations:
    No need to use AtiTool, the utility I was referring previouslly was AMD/ ATI ATIFLASH for bios saving and flashing, once flash you will use Afterburne or, wattman .

7. Judge Dredd 3D

Reputations:
    Using GPUZ for bios saving only works sometimes with desktop cards, to be safe use AMD/ ATI ATIFLASH utility, earlier I made a mistake and called it Atitool, do not use atitool, avoid atitool, sorry for the confusion, it has been corrected in my previous comments.

8. diabolusss

Reputations:
    Your mistake seems to be not so bad, at least for me as AtiTool cant install driver on Windows 10 x64, so it cant interfere with RX580, but at the same time it can make some kind of tests, like "Scan for Artifacts" and even "Show 3D view". As it pushes gpu frequency at max instantly.
    I dont know is it useful for checking OC gpu for stability, but it may be useful for checking gpu after RMA. (or maybe it's smth related to gpu!?)
    Now i have to figure out is this hissing harmful(should i RMA), will it lead to gpu failure or it's a standart gpu behavior in a high load situation...
    It would be great if owners of RX580 card and\or even of GL702ZC laptop could check RX580(or laptop) reaction on enabling "Scan for Artifacts" and "Show 3D view". No need for long run and active cooling as hissing starts instantly. I suppose there is no version dependency, but i have checked only AtiTool 0.26 and 0.27b4.

9. Judge Dredd 3D

Reputations:
    Hi, what I meant was for Bios saving and flashing. For stability I could reach higher than 1370Mhz during synthetic benchmarks but for actual stability test playing BF1 or Overwatch without crashes worked better

10. Vengace

Vengace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys!
    Today I changed my bios settings [​IMG]

Now I am testing new vbios effects!

Special thanks for Judge Dredd 3D