Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. szilu2002

szilu2002 Newbie

Reputations:
    I
    So when you installed the chipset drivers you clicked use local version? That's what i wanted to highlight if yes i don't really have any other suggestions.

Except disable any undervolts or other things going on since I had issues with MSI afterburner in the past for instance, I hope you manage to solve your issues and it's not hardware related.

2. diabolusss

diabolusss Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, i used local only in those installs. No under\over clocking is made as i have had no chance to do that.
    I hope so, too. I'm sure it's not hardware related as win 8.1 is stable as rock. Downside is that gpu drivers won't install on it as it's not supported.
    Anyway, thank you for tips.

3. Coliber

Coliber Newbie

Reputations:
    For anyone with the problem "Touchpad Not Working"

The touchpad seems to be starting up properly now. At least 7 hours this past Friday trying to learn exactly what the problem is. I tried many ways to get the ASUS GL702ZC to start under the same power strain (USB hub with 5 MIDI not powered +1 USB powered MIDI, and a Webcam). In the end I have found that it started after a 18 hour off time since yesterday, with touchpad with full settings recall. Seemingly because I powered on the USB hub before I started the computer, so the computer didn't have to expend power to run the hub/devices such as the Mini II which has some powered lights and comes on the second the device power button is pressed. Also a USB external webcam.

This is not Ideal as it is inconvenient to turn on the USB hub first. I would never have to do this with my Lenovo Y70 17. Therefore I will be continuing with observation and testing in the days to come to see if the computer would go back to shutting off the touchpad if I don't powerup the USB hub first.

Still running the 305 BIOS. No major system changes. I made a video linked from the first one, which highlights what I discovered from over 10 hours of looking into this problem. It is only 16 minutes long, but it covers more touchpad settings changes than any other video or www source for Windows 10 users. General Registry edits including permissions and change a few 1s and 0s around. Device Manager settings.

Here is the first of two videos which has an end of video link to the more detail 16:00 summary video about the ASUS GL702ZC's touchpad issues:

My audio problems also may have been caused by a USB connection via the type c port. Or possibly a USB setting in the power plan which directs Windows to disable USB functionality or limit it. I am still doing observations but it has not happened in a few days. At any rate the good news is that It is not because of the ROG though, as I got the staticy buffer underrun to happen from the USB connected interface (which has its own audio engine), at the same time as I was using the Windows Audio Engine for another channel of sound that was sounding fine.

Probably sounds like a trifling detail but it is impossible to scroll thru fences with the 2 finger gesture. Although I got the 2 finger gesture back in windows by uninstalling it once more and scanning for hardware changes one more time after that. I think anyone who can get two finger scrolling from an Asus touchpad inside fences would have to be a GENIUS. I have no trouble scrolling two finger style from my bluetooth keyboard/touchpad inside fences but the Asuses willl not recognize this gesture from the notebook's touchpad on the desktop in a fence.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 1:55 AM
  4. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just seen that Samsung will be doing 32gb sodimm sticks. I remember our laptop was listed as taking 32gb maximum, just wondering if this still stands now that we could theoretically get 64gb over 2 ram slots?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018 at 10:52 PM
  5. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is a chance that it will work with 2 x 32GB. RAM controller on Ryzen CPUs is designed to handle 64GB max.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_7/1700

dnak_ebloa likes this.
  6. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK. Maybe ill try in the future.

On a related note, I actually recently got a second stick at 2666mhz (so I mixed 2400 and 2666 sticks) and weirdly the Gaming Centre is showing all ram running at 2666mhz ?!?! - https://imgur.com/a/FYqU2ke

I posted this on a few reddit forums and someone suggested I do a user benchmark. Apparently it is all running at 2666mhz..weird if true. http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10830167#MEMORY_KIT

EDIT: Just ran HWiNFO64 (more reliable than GC) and alas, both are running at 2400mhz. Excitement over.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM
  7. Coliber

Coliber Newbie

Reputations:
    merged with prior comment

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 1:45 AM
  8. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone here does Userbenchmark for their system? Did mine and it shows mediocre to poor performance on the GPU, just wondering of this is to be expected of the RX580 in the system - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10847543

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably because the 65W TDP RX 580 in this system is underclocked by 20% or more compared to desktop reference or factory overclocked RX 580 cards.

10. dnak_ebloa

dnak_ebloa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I remember reading something it being underclocked, but I was looking at the top performing models of the GL702ZC (can view the list here - http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-GL702ZC/70719) and the best one gets a score of 65%, whereas mine come in at 45% . Maybe it's just better silicon or something, but a 20% difference I thought was suspicious.