Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Apologies if it's been posted previously, but it looks like Best Buy in the US will carry this model. If I still had my GTX 1070 Clevo, I'd seriously consider picking one up.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I hadn't received my electric bill just yet.
    I get it once every 3 months... It's gonna take at least another 2 months before I see the changes in that.
    However, I would imagine my bills would go up by default... but I'm not using the thing at maxed out performance 24/7 anyway.

Plus, I just finished with my personal de-bugging of sorts.

I did a clean Windows 10 install earlier today because numerous games couldn't create saves, and even 3d Studio Max was giving me errors every few minutes because it would refuse to create the autobackups in Users/documents/etc.
    I tried taking ownership of the needed directory, but it refused.

I'm thinking there's a chance that 3d Mark and PCMark failing to execute certain benchmarks was tied to that problem as well.. or mainly due to the forced Windows 10 update I did back then which seems to have broken my ability to do a factory reset.
    I also found the factory reset partition when I was doing a clean install. Seems to be intact, and I left it as is for now.

I'm in the process of re-installing my software on this clean install and I'll be running some new benchmarks to see if anything changed either fan-wise, performance-wise, etc.

One thing I found to be curious was that the after installing the Asus ROG center (on the fresh Windows 10 install), it refuses to display any information on the CPU or GPU... and of course, I cannot control the fan like before (the option simply doesn't exist).
    I don't exactly know why this happened, but a potential theory I came up with is that since I did a clean install and as a result removed any/all traces of ASUS software (even it's power profile), it seems that gaming center cannot read the CPU or the GPU.

Ryzen Master is working fine and it's detecting temperatures without issues, as is HWMonitor, GPU-Z, etc.

So sensors in general seem to function fine, but ROG Gaming Center does not.
    Oh well... that version was released months ago.
    I'm going to raise a support ticket with Asus stating all their software seems really dated and needs to be either coded to properly recognize and execute, or replaced.
    The Asus update utility couldn't be installed at all for example.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Asus Update utility hasn't worked for laptops for a long time.

The stuff from AMD is what I would stick with for now, glad to hear it works :)

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow, ain't smooth running! Hope Asus can iron out the bumps, not looking like a good advert for that laptop model at the moment - it seems like a rare laptop as no other users have posted in this forum, it would be good to hear from them to get some more perspectives.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know... with such hardware and price, you would think Asus would release updates for this thing on a regular basis and ensure smooth operations.
    At the very least, update the GPU drivers so I can use the latest version with Freesync.
    How Asus managed to install their obsolete software on this thing is puzzling... let alone making it functional.

6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    It may be that Asus does't want follow up the "ugly duckling" They may rather want add up more resources to their main portfolio... Their Fully BGA MACHINES with Intel and Nvidia hardware.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    It's a potential Catch 22. Asus probably won't put a lot of effort into supporting this particular laptop unless people are buying it in droves. However, because there are so many issues with the software, people who read about them are not going to want to buy it until those problems are fixed.

Since the machine is so new, Asus deserves a grace period to get things straightened out on the software end. After, say 3-6 months, then all bets are off, IMO.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The software issues are likely linked to what I concluded was a broken Windows 10 OS I received pre-installed with the laptop.
    How it got borked is anyone's guess. Asus could have simply installed Windows 8 for all I know with all their software (not that there was a lot of it) and then updated the whole system to Windows 10 (but why would they bother seeing how Win 10 has already been out for years? - the only thing that comes to my mind is compatibility with their Asus software).

Anyway, games simply refused to produce saves, and then there was the issue with the failed factory reset.

A clean Windows 10 install resolved problems for me (games and software are producing saves without issues now).
    I may not have operational Asus software anymore, but I can't say I would find it helpful anyway since I wasn't exactly using it. The fan control would be nice yes, but I'm not overtly worried about it since I can usually slap on some headphones anyway while gaming.

I could have simply received the early version that was the buggiest in terms of software.
    I'm gonna put down these problems into a technical support ticket to make Asus aware of it (not sure if they will do anything about it though).

I installed and tested Mass Effect Andromeda btw... seems to work really good. No hangups thus far, but I've yet to get off the Nexus as I completed that first 'Habitat 7' mission. Quality settings are on high, 1080p. Graphics and FPS are great.

Any recommendations for FPS recordrding software?
    Never used it before, but I guess I could play about with a few games and upload the FPS with and without FPS limiter.

9. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    If you're willing to pay for it, Mirillis Action Recording Software is very well regarded. At least the fee includes a lifetime license so you'll never have to re-purchase when they release a new version. I got mine through Steam when it was on sale for half off, so it was a good deal.

Papusan likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This BEAST Laptop has 8 Cores! - Ryzen 1700 17" Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

GL702ZC Cinebench R15 score 1412 multi 148 single.jpg
    Firestrike GL702ZC 1700 580 plus temps.jpg
    Asus ROG GL702ZC gaming fps.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017