Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok guys... as you know, Asus released this laptop into the wild, and I got mine today.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

Specs:
    CPU: Ryzen 1700
    GPU: RX 580 (4GB)
    RAM: 1x 16GB (2400 Mhz)
    SSD: 256GB
    HDD: 1TB

I've set up the laptop in a basic manner and disabled all/most Microsoft info collections.
    Having a bit of an issue with installing the latest graphics drivers on it.
    After running the latest drivers utility, I keep getting an Error 173 saying: AMD installer cannot continue since AMD graphics hardware was not found.

The GPU IS installed however and there is AMD radeon Settings installed... It's an earlier version 17.6

Obviously, I want to update it, but for some reason the AMD software can't recognize the GPU... the OS sees it though and it's registered as RX 580 in Device Manager.

I could use some assistance.

UPDATE: I successfully installed latest GPU drivers.
    You need to download and install the latest chipset utility from AMD's website and run it.
    It will then offer to update the GPU

UPDATE 1: Still toying with settings and trying to undervolt the GPU and CPU - though I will need to learn how to properly use Ryzen Master utility to undervolt the CPU - and GPU... well, Wattman is not available in the global settings like on desktop (it might be an artificial limitation by Asus), so WattTool seems like the only option - but even that is wonky at best right now as the set voltage for the P state I'm targeting already is set on a low voltage (0.86) but seems to hit 1V according to GPU-Z (though it might be registering the voltages incorrectly).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Dr. AMK, Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Congrats on the new laptop, hope these aren't too rare as would be good to hear from other owners too! Maybe Asus Tech Support can help you with your undervolting, well I mean point you in the right direction. Looking forward to hearing some more updates.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For the time being, Asus Tech support is likely useless as I cannot even register the laptop on their website because the model number doesn't exist.
    Also, their product support page for this laptop has no drivers available for download, no manuals, nothing.
    I was wondering if it is common for a company to release a laptop with 0 support available on their website?

hmscott likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is a copy/paste of my post in the thread link hmscott provided:

Something unpleasant that I discovered by installing the latest drivers.
    I lost FreeSync.

The laptop comes with FreeSync enabled in original drivers, but by installing latest drivers, it's gone. Not just shut off, but registering as 'not available'.

I hope that this isn't one of those stupid OEM features that only work if you only use their drivers (Which don't exist on the laptop's/Asus website as of yet of course).
    I'll send an email about this to AMD and Asus.

Also, I can't use Wattman. It's not showing up in the Global settings of Gaming portion (this is either intentional on Asus part, or the AMD drivers hadn't been properly set up yet for this gpu, which is odd to say the least as it should be easy considering its a desktop rx 580 - also this could be the reason for losing FreeSync).

The GPU seems to be already working on a low voltage as is, but it ramps up to 1V on 1077 MhZ (which seems to be the turbo frequency - but I don't think it needs it).
    I also limited the target FPS to 60 in the drivers as the refresh rate of the screen is 60Hz and there's no point going over that on this laptop's screen.
    Radeon Chill is operational it would seem.

I downloaded and installed Ryzen Master utility (for Threadripper) as the one for other Ryzen CPU's refused to be opened (something about a missing driver).
    I got into it and managed to find voltage control, but I don't think that changing the Voltage actually did anything.
    I ran Cynebench btw, and got a score of 1392
    OpenGL score: 88-91 FPS

For now, I'm still trying to transfer all of my files and programs from the old laptop to this new one, so I'm nowhere near done.

CPU-Z results were interesting... a few % above reference results.

As for the GPU voltages... I was able to obtain WattTool, and once I opened it, I only saw 3 P states that can be altered.
    The voltages are already pretty low, but GPU-Z does record the voltage going up to 1V under load - which is puzzling.

As for Ryzen Master utility... It's very peculiar.
    I tried changing the voltages in Creator Mode, but it doesn't seem to be applying them.
    And If I want to change voltages in Game Mode it asks me to restart Windows (which I hadn't done yet - and it looks like they are controlling the overall voltage for now, so I'll need to do that).

RyzenMaster utility is a bit odd. Never used it before so I'm still wrapping my head around it and trying to figure it out.

But, it's a very new laptop, so tools like these might need time to get adapted for them (except of course Ryzen Master utility).

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    I've had Asus laptops that were so new they didn't exist in the database for registration. Just report it, and they will be prompted to add it.

I've found it helpful to help them connect, from engineering through me to support, you can too :)

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Interesting... could you elaborate on how I'd go about doing this?
    Should I just send them an e-mail, call them directly, or something else?
    I'm not sure where to access the support system tickets though.

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, I don't know why they're selling laptops which they don't even acknowledge as existing! Hopefully they will rectify this quickly & add the support options, etc for you laptop model very soon.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On a side-note, I'm digging the new laptop.
    Even though it's a bit rough around the edges right now, It's really nice.

Btw... I was experimenting with Ryzen Master utility yesterday night and it would seem that Creator Mode DOES apply voltage corrections as requested, but I also had to increase the processor speed from base 3.0 to 3.2 GhZ.
    At that point, it seems the voltages are being applied.

However, on just 1 core that turbo boosts, I was able to lower the Voltage from 1.1875 default to about 1.0875 V.
    Temperatures might have changed when I was doing the same across all cores, which on 3.2 GhZ went down to 0.975 V stable across all cores.
    I'll have to experiment more once I have all of the programs set up.

Go figure... my external HDD 2.5" 4TB seagate drive ended up with a battered inside of the cable (the larger USB cap, not the Micro 3 B one) just as I needed it most... so I had to order a new one. The larger USB end of the cable simply refuses to go inside the laptop's USB port (it goes less than half way in and just refuses to go more).
    I'd prefer to wait for the new cable rather than force feed the cable (and I tried applying a bit of force to get it in, but it didn't work... so I decided not to try it again).

Anyway will have to get in touch with Asus support most likely.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    I already had product registered, so I found a way through to file a ticket that way - using another product. Do you have another Asus product registered?

Another way is to call directly, here are some numbers - start in the Notebook support and explain your situation:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/callus