Asus ROG GL702VS (GTX 1070 Kaby Lake) - I own one

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Ryaninja, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this an older laptop? Because doing quote google search for GL702VY only brings back details of chargers, I can't find a single page with the laptop specs. Regardless, if it has a new CPU and GPU in it, it hardly counts as being a laptop that's been out for 6 months with unlikely bios updates. The new CPU and GPU would definitely make it worthy of continued bios enhancement - the last bios update may have been perfect for the model with a lower CPU and GPU in it, but that's definitely not the case for the current version. It's not like it's a new model with extra port support or different screen or something, the CPU and GPU have much more impact on a system than that!

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    When the GL502 series launched a year or so ago - they came in 2 variants - the thinner VT and the thicker VY. The Pascal editions (updates) came later in the form of the thinner VM and thicker VS. VT had a 970M upgrade to a 1060 whereas the VY had a 980M upgrade to a 1070 (as the TDPs of the Pascal GPUs are about 15W higher than their Maxwell counterparts thus cooling could still handle them at the expensive of 5-6*C higher temps)

3. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah yes. Well in that case I would hope that Asus are continuing their bios development on the GL702VS, as being the only 17" GL series unit with a 1070, and different cooling from it's sibling the GL702VM, I believe it counts as new unit as far as bios development and fan speed optimisation is concerned. It definitely appears to be the same cooling solution they use on the 502, but whether it's the same motherboard remains to be seen. I'd be surprised if it was exactly the same mobo. Either way, it still counts as a different unit in my opinion, so I hope that Asus releases firmware that concentrates a bit on cooling rather than staying quiet.

Edit: Also I don't believe there was ever a 17" version of the VY, so this should definitely be treated as a new model imo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    don_svetlio likes this.
  4. Sugil1844

Sugil1844 Newbie

Reputations:
    What do you think of the build quality? is it good? Because I'm considering to get either Evoc P650 HS-G or this Asus laptop.

5. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The build quality isn't that bad actually, when I try to flex the screen it immediately tries to resist, and doesn't flex much without effort. There isn't a great deal of keyboard flex either. There is a bit, but it's only niceable when I press the keyboard much harder than I think I ever would! As I type this the keys feel quite nice and defined to type on, I wouldn't say they're squishy at all. I would like some way to convert the function keys into media keys as I use the media controls much more often, and currently I need to use two hands to reach some of them and the function key at the same time. The touchpad is very good, when it works. If I right click the icons in the taskbar, sometimes it right click stops working. It's actually been worse since I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows 10. Usually turning the touchpad on and off works, but not always. But it's not a huge issue as I use an external mouse a lot of the time. The screen looks very nice, but it could be brighter in my opinion, but then I am coming from a laptop with an eye meltingly bright 3D screen.

I'm not a big fan of the fancy bios they've included, seems a bit short of options. Looks good though.

Apart from the heat issues, I quite like this laptop, it's big (compared to the MSI stealths), but not enormous and considerably thinner than almost every other 17 gaming laptop with a 1070. It's surprisingly light, although the power brick is the same size as my five year old gaming laptop.

In terms of the heat - I saw 99 degrees centrigrade on the CPU and 81 on the GPU after a bit of Witcher 3 at full quality with hairworks on. I don't remember the FPS dipping below 55 once, but it still got very hot. If you decide to go for it, I'd recommend going with a company like HIDeveolution who can repaste it. I don't know how much a liquid metal repaste would actually affect the temperatures, but I wish I had gone down that path, as at the moment the temperature readings (even after undervolting) are giving me slight concern before components start failing. I want this laptop to last about 5 years, and if the temps are up above 90 degrees when I'm gaming I'm not sure if it will last 3 years, let alone 5... Time will tell I guess, and when I'm playing games setting the fans to max in the ROG gaming centre will probably help.

As for the clevo, I looked through all of their models and just decided they were too thick and or heavy for my liking so I didn't really even consider them.

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  6. Magnanimouse

Magnanimouse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had to sign up just to join in. I've been following this lineup for a while, and I just don't get how the temps can be so high on such a premium product. I've been looking so hard to find someone to debunk this now I feel like a climate science denier.

I did see that in the CES17 ASUS promo-video for the GL702VS, it had three internal fans (two large and one small). Didn't the old one have just two fans? I wonder if this is ASUS' response to the problem, and if it shows any real-world improvements.

The video they showed at CES: (see 0:47)

What do you guys think?

/Edit: Wrong video link.

7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    17" models have 3 fans, 15" models have 2 fans.

As for temps - 99*C is indeed very high. Generally, you want CPU temps under 92*C and GPU temps under 87*C. The Maxwell/Skylake ones didn't really have such heat issues though. I guess Pascal is proving difficult to cool without crippling the TDP like Razer and a few others. That's the one good thing - As far as I can tell, most Asus laptops have full-TDP Pascal cards.

8. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure the new GL702VS with the 1070 only has two fans. I haven't opened mine, but as you can see in this video, it uses a similar system to the GL502VS.

The old GL702VM with the 1060 had 3 fans. I'd seen in a review somewhere that the third fan wasn't that well implemented and simply recirculated hot air around the system. So I was pretty pleased when I saw the above video as I thought that the cooling would be even better than the 502 due to the 702 having 2 extra inches of real estate which could be used for better heat dissipation. Unfortunately, at least with the Kaby Lake CPU, this doesn't seem to be the case. I'm thinking I should contact Asus regarding the temps though.

I'll try witcher 3 again tomorrow with a 100mV undervolt on the CPU. However for the price of this machine, I don't feel I should have to undervolt just to keep the CPU temperatures from causing future problems. Perhaps I should just go nuts with the laptop and hope it dies within it's warranty period!

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    3 fans mate :p
    [​IMG]

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Cooling itself isn't bad - the problem is likely Thermal Paste and the overvolted Skylake/Kaby Lake CPUs - almost all of the CPUs are overvolted by 100mV or more - that's a lot. Quite a lot. And then you have a 120-130W 1070 to add to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.