Asus ROG GL702VS (GTX 1070 Kaby Lake) - I own one

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Ryaninja, Mar 10, 2017.

1. r3b3lspy

r3b3lspy Newbie

Reputations:
    That is good to hear, I also bought an Alienware 17 R4 Skylake model with a GTX 1070 as a gift for my son's graduation that is arriving on Monday but I'm having double thoughts about the 1070 and heat and fan noise and maybe return it for a 1060.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I don't think you'll have issues with it. And if you, for some unknown reason, are not happy with thermals, you could always send it to team LHz for a repaste and a bit of tuning. Feel free to check with @iunlock @Mobius 1 @zergslayer69 @DeeX

3. FastM

FastM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried repasting their GL702VS with Grizzly's Conductonaut?

I've just ordered the laptop and should get it within a couple days, i don't want the CPU running on the 90c's all the time when gaming.. just to figure out my strategies of how to fix that.

im putting my Razer Blade 2017 for sale, can't handle the fan noise anymore and the idea of a larger 120hz screen was inticing..

(i am assuming the GL702VS will game quieter vs my RB right?)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  4. bwolmarans

bwolmarans Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But what about in the year 2020 will a 1060 still allow you to play almost all the games you want to play at 60fps? maybe, but no likely. and most people will probably keep the laptop 3 years, yes?

5. Chewingum

Chewingum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually I am planning to keep it for at least 5 years (GL502VMK). If I had to keep a laptop that costs thousands of dollars for 3 years only, I would just get a console and change it when the new gen comes out. Looking at all the upcoming games for 2018-19 I don't see anything demanding for a GTX 1060 with 6gb of VRAM (maybe the 3gb version would be more limited). Sure, with a GTX 1070 you should be safe for a year or two more, but the price difference, at least in my country, is huge. Spending 400€ or more for a laptop with the GTX 1070 is way too expensive, considering you can just spare the money and get a better GPU for the time your laptop will be useless for gaming, or just upgrade your desktop one instead, or just buy the next gen console if you want.

I had an overclocked GTX 970M (just a small overclock +135Mhz) and, despite being released in 2014, it was still rocking games at high-ultra settings 40-60 fps (medium-high settings at solid 60fps were obviously possible). PREY did even run at a solid 60fps at almost ultra (perfect optimization). Now I just saw that the overclocking capabilities of the GTX 1060 are way higher. On the 970m you could just go up to 135Mhz on the Core Clock. Here you can go up to 1000Mhz for both Core and Memory clock, so a good increase in performance should be also possible.

I tried this beast at 4K and it runs games like RoTR and The Division at medium with 30fps (some other games also with mixed medium and high setting). That's what current consoles like PS4 Pro (upscaled 4K*) and Xbox One X are getting too, sometimes even with an inconsistent 30fps lock. So a GTX 1060 is already on par with these machines.
    I don't think the new consoles will come before 2021 and you know games are always tied to console hardware limits.

6. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    assuming the laptop doesn't die of excess heat, the 1060 will be enough for the next 5 years at 1080p.

don_svetlio likes this.
  7. FastM

FastM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi guys,

got my GL702VS yesterday, nice machine..

i can confirm this thing games a hell lot quieter than my RazerBlade 1060 (kaby). It hurts moving away from the small sleek design on the RB but i've realized you just can't have it all..

Couple questions about the 702VS

The touchpad, apart from randomly not working ( just decides to stop tracking your finger correctly or completely) does your make a echo noise when you touch it? like something underneath is a little loose so i hear a noise every time i touch the touchpad. Honestly it's pretty annoying, something i'll either return it over or open it up to see if i can fix it myself.

2nd the screen, i have a love hate relationship with it at the moment. Once it's lit up (full screen image) it looks fantastic, Even more so I noticed the 120hz just browsing around windows and on the web, not something i was expecting but a really pleasant surprise. Also gaming with the 120hz and GSYNC is amazing, played some PUBG last night and i'm loving it. However.. when i first turned it on i was disappointed to see 2 huge blotches of light leaking in from the top of the screen. One of both sides, like someone put 2 spotlights aiming down in he top (i'll update this thread later with an photo). I realize some light leakage is part of the deal but this is really bad, like would be extremely distracting if i ever wanted to watching a movie in letterbox. I suppose there is no fix for that eh?

Temps are what i expected at this point, GPU in the 70-80 's and CPU maxes out at 90c. i'll worry more about that once i figure out these first 2 problems.
    Photo 2017-06-15, 12 55 18 PM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  8. bwolmarans

bwolmarans Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will come back to this thread in 2023 to check this post in for prediction accuracy!

9. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    @FastM - I've had my GL502VT for a year now and while it's a different model, there are some similarities

Firstly, I think your trackpad may warrant an RMA or swap since I've never had tracking issues or noises coming out of it. Maybe the larger chassis results in their being a bit more hollow space under it but a Windows Precision trackpad should definitely be tracking well.

Secondly, screen bleed is somewhat present on mine but it's not that noticeable. Mostly around the left bezel.

10. wallaby07

wallaby07 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017