Asus ROG GL702VS (GTX 1070 Kaby Lake) - I own one

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Ryaninja, Mar 10, 2017.

1. r3b3lspy

r3b3lspy Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got this laptop with the GTX 1070 from Best Buy this afternoon, I loaded Fallout 4 and I'm getting fps in the lower 30s, not even in ultra, now I'm trying on medium too.

I've updated Windows, GE force experience and everything is up to date.

I have a GS73VR with a 1060 and I'm constantly on 60fps on high settings, I know the 1070 is superior but I'm not sure why it is not working as intended?

Any ideas?

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Remove GeForce Experience (it's garbage bloatware), use DDU to uninstall the drivers and re-download the validated ones from Asus. Also make sure you've installed the chipset drivers and check your clockspeed on all components.

hmscott likes this.
  3. r3b3lspy

r3b3lspy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, finally late last night after a lot of troubleshooting the card performed well, but the laptop is already packed and going to Best Buy today, playing 2 minutes of Overwatch or Fallout will take the CPU to 94 and throttle, you can see frames dropping from 114 to 62 and then going back up. I undervolted and limited the processor to 99% for avoid turbo spikes but the temperature only went down to 88.
    In contrast I have a GS73VR and after hours of playing temperatures will not go higher than 72-73.

Things I really dislike about the Asus are that for an expensive laptop it looks like a toy, like those V-tect laptops that you buy from Toys-R-Us for your kids to learn the ABC, it sounds like a toy when you tap on the plastic and the speakers are just atrocious.
    The keyboards feel is good but what is good for if you cannot see the letters?, with the backlight off you do not see the dark red letters on black keys and with the backlight on everything gets distorted due to backlight coming from the bottom of the keys instead of the actual letter and the ugly alien font that you cannot read.
    Also I'm not sure what HDD they placed there but I have a laptop with a 5400rpm hard drive that is 20 times faster than the 7200rpm in the Asus.
    I thought I've found the perfect laptop with a 1070 card but I guess the search continues, ordering a GT72VR now I've heard good things about it.

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The heat is due to the 1070 being a 120-140W GPU vs the 90W 1060 in your GS73 - it's perfectly normal considering the 1070 in the strix has nearly 50% higher power consumption than the smaller 1060.

Also, if you found the build quality on the GL unit poor, then the GT72/73 will feel awful in terms of display durability.

Videos made by @iunlock from team LHz

5. r3b3lspy

r3b3lspy Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I think I'll stay with the GS73VR for now, temps in the 69-70s while playing witcher 3 on high at 60fps for an hour are wonderful, also extremely low profile that does not cut your wrists while typing, for $1300 this is a winner, next year I'll get the latest and greatest when they figure thermals on new laptops.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Quick question, were you playing OW with an unlocked frame-rate? Cause usually results in higher temps due to excess GPU load.

hmscott likes this.
  7. r3b3lspy

r3b3lspy Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes but I do the same with the GS73vr and i get 120fps at 69c CPU and 71 GPU on Epic settings, I think there is no need for a 1070 on a laptop yet, too much heat for same results in games, until they figure better cooling in a year or two the 1060 will be the best card for heat and performance (and price).

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Thing is - the 1060 doesn't push the CPU as hard for draw calls as the 1070 - hence the extra heat. Remember, Kaby Lake does run quite hot under heavy load.

hmscott likes this.
  9. r3b3lspy

r3b3lspy Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes that is why I think that with today's thermals and cooling solutions a 1060 is better for laptops, unless you are a pro pro pro gamer and need the super 2000 fps, a 1060 locked at 60hz or 75hz on high settings is great.

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Depends on the laptop - Alienware machines alongside the more expensive solutions such as the Asus G701 are easily able to handle even a fully unlocked 1080 without overheating or throttling.