Asus ROG GL702VS (GTX 1070 Kaby Lake) - I own one

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Ryaninja, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was recently looking into new laptops, and I could find almost no information on this laptop from someone who owns one. I have one, and I'm reasonably happy with it. It's not perfect, but providing the hardware stands the test of time, I'm glad I bought it.

I bought it from HIDevolution whom I have had excellent service from, but got it from their Amazon UK store, as import taxes and delivery costs to Europe were making it too expensive. I do wish I'd been able to buy one from their UK store that had been repasted. Because as you'll see on the imgur link below, the temps aren't amazingly excessive, but could definitely do with being lower, even with undervolting.

I uploaded a few benchmarking screenshots with descriptions to imgur. Rather than write out the whole post again I thought I'd just link to it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ydjyW

If you have any burning questions you'd like to ask, fire away!

hmscott likes this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Donald@HIDevolution may offer advice on whether you can repaste yourself. HID's warranty is a lot better than most default ones.

3. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would imagine not, I think the only reason why you still get a warranty from Asus is because HIDevolution do the repasting themselves. I did speak to Donald when I was researching what to buy, he was very helpful.

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    You could get a cooling pad to improve airflow or check Asus' site for a BIOS that raises the fan speed - by default GL series are made to run quiet rather than cool.

Also - test with games - Fire Strike is a lot more demanding than most games. Hell, if a game such as Witcher 3 produces decent temps, I see no reason to worry.

5. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't currently have any triple A titles, because coming from a 5 year old laptop, I couldn't run them! For Honor and Forza Horizon 3 are the newest games I currently have. When I've downloaded them (Forza is over 50gb!) I'll test them out. Mind you, when not even underclocked, Kerbal Space Program managed to get the CPUs to around 92, I noticed the temps after about an hour of gaming... at minus -140 seems to be more like 88-89.

I did check for bios updates, but there aren't any currently, and I do have a cooling pad, but it doesn't seem to make much difference - cooling pads introduce turbulence for a lot of laptops, and it's often better to actually have the pad's fans off. The pad worked well for my old laptop, but not so much for this one.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Question - did you run the game at 60fps or 200fps? That makes a BIG difference

7. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Kerbal seems to be locked to the refresh rate of the monitor. I was seeing a maximum of 120fps most of the time, and if there was a lot going on I managed to get it to drop to 50fps. Gsync is off btw. So yeah, quite high temps even when it's not running at an excessive fps.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    120 is quite high - the CPU is probably being pushed. Though that's no excuse for high temps on Asus' part - while 90*C max is not dangerous and those are certainly spikes - most of the time it likely runs at 80-85*C, you can a few other tricks to reduce them if you're paranoid like me :D

Ryaninja likes this.
  9. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't know, I don't think they are spikes, when I've been watching the benchmarks the temps seem to creep up slowly but surely and don't really come down unless the benchmark stops. I'll do some additional testing over the next couple of days. I do love a bit of Kerbal Space Prgram!

But despite the high readings, the unit itself doesn't seem to get too hot. The right hand side of the keyboard (where the GPU sits) gets a bit warm when benchmarking, but not uncomfortably so and your hands wouldn't be there when gaming anyway. It seems to shift the heat out of the unit quite well, so it doesnt feel that hot, and I'd imagine you could comfortably game with it on your lap, it just seems maybe that's still not achieving enough cooling to cool the CPU sufficiently. Higher fan rates would probably help I think. At the end of the day, it's still a very portable machine that's packing a lot of power, so it's bound to get hot, I just hope it is built well from a reliability point of view. My old laptop used to get pretty damn hot, but still lasted me 5 years, and I'd like the same kind of life out of this one.

10. Ryaninja

Ryaninja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    and I wouldn't consider 120fps that high - considering the age and low gpu load of the game - especially for a machine with a brand new kaby lake i7 and a GTX 1070 in it! :)