Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nickk_87

Nickk_87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Am I the only one thinking a 144hz panel is overkill for a 1070?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, as is a 120hz panel.

A 1080 for a 120hz, a 1080ti for a 144hz...

But, you can of course live with games running slower than 120fps / 144fps with G-sync and frame limiter like RTSS at the average FPS for a particular game.

It's better if the games run consistantly over the hz/FPS of the display and limit it to the display (refresh - 1) hz, but it's still usable.

IDK if playing around with custom refresh would be "helpful", but it's not necessary. :)

Arondel likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Strangely, it's the other way around :)

There was an IPS 120hz display rolled out around the time of the 120hz TN panel, but it was so slow it had visible smearing (fuzzy ghost imaging), and that was over a year ago.

The new panels are 120hz TN and 144hz IPS-like (AVA?) and likely that custom IPS panel can be rolled out across the line replacing the 120hz TN panel.

As I said in the post before, you don't need to run games at the 144FPS to enjoy the 144hz panel, and you likely won't hit that FPS without dropping the eye candy down *too far*, so running at a lower FPS will still be ok.

I'm hoping the 144hz IPS panel will be a big improvement over the 120hz TN panel for color, saturation, and off-center angled viewing.

5. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    What happens when your average FPS is lower than 120? My buddy has a 120hz with a GTX 1060 and I don't notice anything bad while gaming on it.

Aren't most 60fps panels overclockable to at least 75hz?

Also, can you down clock a 120hz display to let's say 100hz?

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Within those questions are the answers you seek, and you have a 120hz screen available to test out your thoughts, go for it, and please let us know what you find :)

7. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    I don't have a 120hz display to test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    I thought you said your buddy had one? Bring a 6-pack and a bucket of wings, I'm sure he'll be happy to see you... or whatever a similarly acceptable sharing of feast you desire. :)

9. williamaltu

williamaltu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I went ahead and wrote ASUS tech team on their contact me page, and asked if they had some official information if SCAR or HERO editions had any heat pipes innovation as GL702VI (https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702VI/) has and they just answered me with a link to the GL503, so I assume this can have 2 meanings, either tech guys that answered do not have a clue the difference between VD, VM and VS editions or we are simply going to have the same heat pipe design we can evidentiate on the GL503 site (https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL503/) :(.

10. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    I'm going to go with.... They don't have a clue. LOL.

Seriously though, if Asus doesn't use a separate heat pipes and sticks with the same thermal set up as the 502/702 then it's obvious they care way more about their top end rather than customer satisfaction. They have to know by now that the dinky thermal system in the 702 just doesn't cut it with today's powerful CPU's/GPU's.

Here is my prediction. They will use the same thermal set up as the 702 in the 703VM (1060) model and a updated thermal set up in the 703VS (1070) model. This is why the 1070 model is delayed until the end of November.