Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Kevin@GenTechPC and BeastOG like this.
  2. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They might have just replaced it completely with the gl703gs to make people who want a 1070 in a 15 inch form factor go for the gm501. Also in regards to the previous optimus discussion, how do you feel about the GM501's ability to switch between optimus and Gsync?

3. orlando9164

orlando9164 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weeks ago I saw with a BIOS editor (I don't remember the name) that in the file of BIOS (GL503VS) there are some sections with Gsync mentioned. But I didn't modify them, I'm not an expert and I didn't want to take the risk of freeze my computer.

4. orlando9164

orlando9164 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For those that ask about the GL503VS.

It simply disappeared from Asus website approximately at the beginning of 2018.
    Furthermore, in the support section, GL503VS is the only computer that hasn't any picture of preview.
    The BIOS is still the 300 version, while if I remember all the other GL503 and GL703 have the 304 (and the picture of preview in their respective pages).

fayth likes this.
  5. fayth

fayth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well. i saw no GL 15 inch version with GTX 1070 and 144hz there. did u think ASUS will "force" ppl to buy the zepyhrus M ? Sad -_-

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IDK, keep watching Asus product pages and press releases for announcements.

"The SCAR, on the other hand, comes with a choice of three 17.3-inch and a 15.6-inch monitor - three TN panels and an “IPS-level” panel, all with FHD resolution. The TN panels sport a 120 Hz refresh rate, 3ms GTG response time, and 94% NTSC color gamut. The fourth option is an “IPS-level” panel with 144 Hz refresh rate, 3ms GTG response time, 72% NTSC color gamut coverage and is G-Sync enabled. The SCAR supports up to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, a more capable graphics solution able to utilize the high refresh rate monitors. "

MSI / Aorus have such choices in the thin category, but research carefully, there are more Max-Q 1070's this season... sigh.

I don't think Asus considers the Zephyrus mainstream, so Asus should come out with other models.

Remember the higher the FPS the harder the laptop has to push the CPU and GPU to put out that level of performance, which is going to run hot. If you want high FPS, I'd get a larger frame model with beefier cooling and power.

I recommend a full frame 17" model for serious power gaming, not a slim carry laptop, save that for a light 2in1 format non-gaming model.

fayth and BeastOG like this.
  7. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I found this. http://promos.asus.com/US/PR_2018/asus_rog_updated_strix_scar/

Between that and it having a bigger battery and a triple fan design, it looks like it might be a pretty tangible upgrade, even if you do have to move to a 17" form factor. Plus 6.5 lbs isn't that bad to carry around. Also force might not be the best term. Gently prod them towards a thinner and more expensive model if they want a 15" 1070?

8. mergen3107

mergen3107 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does GL503VM Traditional (neither Hero, nor Strix) have anti-dust cooling?
    Like one from Amazon.

9. Chris-red

Chris-red Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone got there GL503 to sync with other Aura Devices? I have RoG Gladius II which uses either Aura or Armoury for lights. The keyboard only uses aura core, and can't be detected by the others.

Any ideas?

10. Chris-red

Chris-red Newbie

Reputations:
    Also the fan overboost button does nothing i can notice, something comes up on screen but I've never heard the fans change in relation to it.