Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Milad Mokhtari

Milad Mokhtari Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer.

What is the point of not having Intel GPU when there is also no G-sync? Freaking idiots.
    And about Aura Core, the one in Microsoft Store is not GL503 compatible I think, I mean the keyboard layout it shows is completely different and you can only adjust brightness, colors won't change whatsoever. I also tried 1.0.4 version, its layout is kinda similar but it's not working either.

2. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you have to download the "rog aura core" not the "rog aura". you can also try the archive from gl703GE (new models) in driver page on asus site. I used it because is more recent apps (no changes) and works perfectly.

About intel...well...i confirm the madness to remove optimus from asus, really don't understand this bullsh1t; with optimus this rog should last about 5-6 hours with the good 64wh battery... i think that they are forced to disable optimus cause of screen that is gsync monitor (with gsync forced off on firmware)...

Milad Mokhtari likes this.
  3. Milad Mokhtari

Milad Mokhtari Newbie

Reputations:
    Problem solved. Thanks.
    However I can't change the color of ROG logo on the back of the display (it's always red). Is there anyway to change that?

Thanks.

4. gieffe22

Reputations:
    you can't change because the logo don't have a led rgb...is just the display that lights the logo...if you see, an increase of display brightness will increase the logo too. The red color probably is just a plastic layer or skin under the chrome rog plastic

5. mergen3107

mergen3107 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I am hesitant between GL502VM and GL503VM. I am planning to get one of these in about 6 months or so.

Both have interesting specs, that suit me. In short, I want about 40+ fps in 1080p at ultra settings in AC: Origins (and all previous ones), Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Also I want a very portable laptop, lightweight and thin (more or less).

Having the same i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060, they differ as following:
    GL502VM vs GL503VM:
    Old cooling system vs new cooling system (with vent holes right below fans on the bottom panel)

Red keyboard backlight vs RGB keyboard backlight (I essentially need white for better clarity)

Lighter 2.2 kg (?) vs heavier 2.3 kg (?)
    Not sure if reviewer's scales are good, but I found many different numbers for both of these laptops. Can please someone tell me the exact weight?

G-Sync 60 Hz vs No G-Sync 60 Hz
    I didn't have a G-Sync before, so I am not really sure whether I'll miss it. I saw G-Sync 144 Hz on a desktop with GTX 1080 with most of FPS being 100+ at ultra settings, and it looks very nice.
    However GTX 1060, as far as I observed on YouTube, goes well beyond 60 FPS for games I mentioned above. So G-Sync after 60 FPS is mostly (?) useless?
    After 60 FPS Nvidia Fast Sync kicks in, right? Both 502/503 have it enabled, since they both lack Optimus.

Battery life?
    How about battery life? I need about 4-5 hours with web browsing and MS Word/LaTeX. Is it possible to undervolt/underclock GTX 1060 to get such battery life?

I read all pages in this thread before, but I am sorry if this set of questions looks repetitive. Just wanted to hear you input.
    Thank you guys in advance!

P.S. I know I ask about barely possible things, but I want moderate battery life and no optimus due to complexity and some difficulties. Examples are given here.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  6. gieffe22

Reputations:

wait the new gl503 with i7 8750h that is much better cpu. Anyway if battery life is important, no, don't buy...those pc last about 2 and half, max 3 hours with very light use. You have to buy a laptop with optimus, such as msi gs series for example (the new GS65 have a 82wh battery and optimus, last about 6 hours with a 1060-1070 for other tasks)

7. mergen3107

Reputations:
    Thank you for suggestion!
    I think for my tasks 7th gen is fine. I'll consider 8th gen only if it brings improvement in battery life.
    Also, I added to my post above that would like to avoid Optimus due to TDP overhead on CPU and unnecessary channeling of all graphics data through iGPU first even on dGPU mode (no FastSync as well).

hmscott likes this.
  8. mergen3107

Reputations:
    Found very interesting guide to pick a decent GPU'ed laptop. It gives very good explanation of Optimus and why is it bad.
    Almost everything @hmscott already mentioned in myriads of posts earlier :)

oboff and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, funny thing is I never get tired of helping save people from the evils of optimus. :)

The main thing he missed is that the iGPU steals power and thermal headroom from the CPU.

This was a tragedy discovered when Asus added Optimus to a generation of the G750 series - the GTX8xx series - and Asus even advertised a huge improvement in the GPU cooling hardware - but Asus didn't realize the iGPU was going to add another 10c+ heat output to the CPU, causing heavy rendering on the dGPU to cause the CPU to thermal throttle, even with undervolting!, it was very disappointing.

We had the previous generations of the G750 with the same Haswell CPU benchmarks without the iGPU connected or enabled, so we had lots of test results to compare to the new models with iGPU enabled, and they exhibited 10c+ higher CPU temps for the same benchmarks.

Another annoying Optimus "feature", even at idle the iGPU adds extra thermal load from the always on iGPU, the CPU fan kept kicking in and out - oscillating slowly over time - it drove people crazy.

Asus put out the next generation of ROG laptops without Optimus, except for the lowest GPU model, for those that wanted longer battery life - with disastrous results - most people had the other Optimus issues in spades - it wouldn't switch to dGPU reliably. Asus had dGPU-only releases for a while after that :)

Ah, yeah, the other little gotcha:

Optimus iGPU is the *only* GPU rendering engine that Windows uses, even if you have a high end dGPU available, Windows won't use it.

If your laptop uses Optimus instead of a MUX - Windows can't switch Graphics domains - so you are stuck rendering everything in Windows GUI / Explorer / IE / Edge / ? with the iGPU only - which is laggy when the iGPU is tasked beyond it's means - which is often.

Anyway, Optimus has bad JuJu. It's best to get a dGPU only laptop, or one with a MUX, and then get a nice 2in1 light carry laptop for long battery life use.

"Friends don't let friends buy Optimus laptops." :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    mergen3107 likes this.
  10. fayth

fayth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    any information about ROG Scar GL503GS yet ?