Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My GL503VMF has a 120 hz AUO42ED and a 3 gb 1060 but the specs are the same as the 6 gb card minus the vRAM.

That's odd, right?

Also, what's the deal with the Live Update. What's the trick to get it to finish the BIOS? 305 Isn't available on their site.

Attached Files:

2. blengyo

blengyo Newbie

Reputations:
    I used this notebook (503VM) for at about 7 days, i have read a lot of pages, expecially tha latest ones, reading lot of comment. I used the nb in office mode, graphic mode (photoshop, illustrator, video editing all at the same time), and gaming (one hour or more session). In my opition, all went very good, no problems at all. It doesnt turn very hot. Lot of you say that the laptop is extremely loud, but i can't understand this complaint, thit is a gaming notebook with high end specs in a small chassis of a 15 size laptop. That's normal, moreover it is better more loud than mode hot. I had for 8 years an Asus Rog G73GH, 17'' and was quite the same, and it is still alive and usable after 8 years.

There is really no one that thinks this is a very good laptop? If you need a 15 inches with lot of power, at this price i think this is one of the best choices. :eek:

darthtyr likes this.
  3. Murat Y?lmaz

Murat Y?lmaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its unnecessarily 65 decibells. HP Omen 1060 is only 55 decibells at its peak. Thats twice as loud.

4. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i had 503vm and now i have 703vm...both laptop are just amazing in terms of design (finally a good design with this high spec), and amazing screen quality...i love this pc but...BUT:

-audio is not the best, is loud but lack of precision, a bit washed out, not the best, even my old k550jx had a better audio in tems of clarity
    -gl503vm in italy is defective, screen is just faulty (banding problem and incorrect bpc mode)
    -keyboard seems not too solid, my 2nd 503vm had bad spacebar feedback, my first 703vm had spacebar broken, i've read others claiming that many keys stop working... fortunatly on my actual 703vm seems working (the 4 unit after 2 503vm and another 703vm)
    -the sata ssd included (hynix) is not the best even for sata models (but actually is a good mlc ssd, even if not the best)
    -cpu peak high under load with temps on very heavy games, the solutions for me are quite easy, lift up the laptop for about 5cm, and disable turbo boost... fps are pretty much the same, but with this temps reach 75 degrees max instead of 90ish...

another hint...i will prefer aluminium instead of plastic for palmrest, is not a problem actually, because is a nice plastic with a good feeling, but i just prefer aluminium on 1500 euro's pc.

For me fan are not a problem, i prefer a loud cool laptop instead of a hot one... anyway olly in games this pc turns quite loud, and sometimes 2-3 seconds during other programs...

5. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    curious thing...asus live update doesnt show me bios 309 anymore... so, they retired it back? maybe a new version is coming?

6. orlando9164

orlando9164 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's impressive... it seems that Asus "forgot" the VS model, the most recent BIOS is the 300 yet

7. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone enlighten me on how this BIOS update is suppose to work? Post #521 specifically.

8. darthtyr

darthtyr Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree with you. I also have a 503VM Hero version and this is the best gaming workstation on the market right now. It can handle everything I threw at, while giving me the best 1080p display possible. This is so much better than spending money on a Dell XPS 15 or even worse, an overpriced Macbook Pro 15".

9. darthtyr

darthtyr Newbie

Reputations:
    Color reproduction on a TN panel does not mean anything. TN is still crap. I will take any IPS over any TN, any day.

Besides, you should know that the Hero version of the GL503 uses the same IPS panel as the GX501 Zephyrus, made by AU Optronics, with at least 9x% sRGB and 120Hz refresh rate - pure color goodness and display smoothness. A ~1000USD laptop with this kind of incredible screen must have been impossible a few years back.

B0B likes this.
  10. orlando9164

orlando9164 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've just formatted my VS, but the GPU doesn't work as it should yet.

I will use the warranty, I can't have a GPU that performs like a 1050 once I paid for having a 1070