]]>

Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. syen

syen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Witcher 3 is one of the most demanding games right now? If you have maxed all settings, 30 fps on a 1050 ti is standard.

2. orlando9164

orlando9164 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, but I didn't put at max settigs. Considering however that on Youtube there a video of Witcher 3 on this device running at over 100fps at low-setting and 55-60 at maximum settings with hairworks.

Furthermore I have a 1070, else if it is the portable one it would be ok for playing more or less all the games at 60fps at high-ultra settings. Mine doesn't reach 60fps at LOW settings and with completely disabled the heaviest filters.

And another thing, I also made a test with 3DMark (Timespy), and I obtained very bad results compared to the average of 1070; the program itself says this and that there is a problem with the driver.

Unless there is particular procedure to uninstall and reinstall ("deeper" that one with Display Driver Uninstaller), I think that the only thing that I can do is formatting the PC.

3. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    about that..the traditional GL503VM and the hero edition does not have neither G-Sync or optimus. The VD version however, does have optimus.

4. Joaquim Xavier

Joaquim Xavier Newbie

Reputations:

Hi. I was having the same FPS issue. The problem was solved when I changed the display scale settings in Windows 10 down to 100% from 125%.
    Hope it helps.

5. Savitar

Savitar Newbie

Reputations:
    I've tried playing witcher 3 with it and get an average of 60fps on ultra settings. I'm not sure how to solve the problem of yours but just sharing what my experience was with it.
    It also seems that your temp is relatively very cool. I've played witcher 3 and GPU temps usually runs 77-80c.

6. syen

syen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) Try when ingame full screen, alt tabbing into your Nvidia settings. And switch between the onboard graphics card and the 1070m. Check whether there is a difference in fps using same ingame graphic settings for both cards.

2) 1070m is indeed very powerful. You paid a lot of money for it probably. My guess, considering I have owned ROG laptops and also this GL503, is that Asus quality went seriously downhill.
    The place where I buy my laptops indicated that the sales for the Lenovo Y520 outperform the Asus GL series by nearly a tenfold factor. That must mean something.

7. orlando9164

orlando9164 Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried your advice, and something strange happened... practically the cutscene (one of the first, before the very first battle after the witcher's dream) ran at 20-30 fps as usual, but three times for some seconds it had a peak of 80-90 fps, and then returned to the 20-30. Very very strange.
    But all this happened only one time, the following ones it went always at 20-30 :vbconfused:

Yes, mine it is not so high... strange, because I used MSI Afterburner and it said to me that the GPU is used at 100%.

In my PC it is not possible to switch between the 2 graphic cards, unless you uninstall the driver of NVidia one.
    However I don't think that the integrated Intel GPU is capable to execute a game as The Witcher 3 at 30 fps.

For the quality, well, I don't think so, from an episode I can't extend the situation in general. I had an Asus K50IJ for more than 7 years, and I had a great experience. This episode with the (driver of) GPU doesn't change anything for me, the computer is wonderful and has an excellent quality in building and in balancing of the hardware.

I don't think that we can discuss in general the quality of Asus products, an imperfect product can happen to everyone.

The sales of the Lenovo I think that are higher for a question of price.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys, finally i solved my problems of gl503...now i have a gl703vm that works just perfectly.

A notice for all of you... someone have installed the new bios 309? i don't find any changelog about it

hmscott likes this.
  9. praetorianx

praetorianx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you please post your RAM make and model? Thank you

10. syen

syen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018