Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Treooo

Treooo Newbie

Reputations:
  2. Tony Holden

Tony Holden Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I not in favor of using ASUS Laptops because of very much expensive. You can buy much better gaming laptop in less amount as compared to ASUS.

3. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    U cant go wrong with either. The MSI will have better cooling but a smaller battery. However, u will probably get similar battery performance or better since the MSI has nvidia optmius.

The screen for the asus hero edition is 120 hz IPS (i will get the exact model number when i get home) while the msi is 120 hz TN panel. Both does not have gSync nor do they have thunderbolt 3.

Between the two, if they are the same price point, the msi seems to have more value;though i love the new look of the asus laptop. I personally went for the hero version cuz the msi was 200+more. But if they were identical in pricing, i would go with the msi.

You may want to consider looking at the 1070 versions of both models.

Edit: asus gl503 hero screen panel Model : B156HAN04.5 (Monitor ID: AUO45ED)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Treooo and praetorianx like this.
  4. nicholasowj

nicholasowj Newbie

Reputations:
    I got myself an asus gl 503vm i think a month back, and just played dota 2 on it. Today when i turned it on and played halfway the screen got filled with static(?). Does anybody knows what’s the reason?

5. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sounds like a gpu issue. Does it occur everytime or is this a one time thing? This happens to even desktop GPU once in awhile sometimes. It could be just a hiccup failure / instability. Maybe it overheated during that moment or something. You should be fine unless it constantly happens under load. Run some stress test and see if you can duplicate the error.

Also, did you undervolt your gpu, if so then you may need to back off the undervolt just slightly, this may have cause instability therefore resulting in graphical issues.

6. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, i'm a new owner of gl503vm... i think my product have problems because i have EXTREME banding on grey scale on some images. I have to send pc back or you have the same problem (in this case i make my soul in peace).

Here's some screenshot of the problem (i even tried to reinstall nvidia drivers) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wait for a response from other people. Please, is very important, becase i have 14 days to send pc back if is a fault

7. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    are you using an uncompressed image?

Open this gradient and see if you have banding.... https://i.imgur.com/rMdEvPk.png

check your driver setting to see that it is 32bit full dynamic range.

8. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thank you for your answer. Yes your image do look banding too (less prominent). I find that this is a very common problem with nvidia and some display's... basically it looks like 16 bit but all is setted right with 32 bit and 8 bcp... the only way to made it better is to configu with 6 bcp in nvidia control panel but the trick to create a custom reoslution doesn't work on my rog (i read cause of windows 10 fall creator update and new nvidia driver).

I can only hope that the sostitutive unit of my pc will be ok (i already contacted my store and ask for this, but they have no units at the moment so i have to wait untile end of the month with this)

9. FlynnSing

FlynnSing Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know the best place to get a Gl503vs from for the uk?

Seen some on various Amazon European stores(Gl503vs-EI005T), since us imports are way too pricey. Idk why they don't sell the 503vsmodel in uk. Any news on if they plan on releasing soon?

10. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

it should be 6 bpc. I don't know why you have an 8 bpc option.

laptop screens are cheap, and most only have 6bit with dithering. If 6 bpc eliminates the banding, then that is what you have to live with.

Get HWinfo64 and post what model your lcd display is.