Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SushiDubya

SushiDubya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm returning it and have mixed feelings about doing so, because the screen colors and response time is very very nice. I did get an AW17 R4 and am testing that out for now, but the GL503VS I got is probably a bad one. The build on the GL503 and the software package is quite nice.

I wrote in a couple posts earlier that I believe Asus did make some improvements and tried really hard to keep things cool. I can't imagine Asus designing it to run up to 99C on both CPU and GPU after 1 hour of Destiny 2. The fans are very strong on it and I'm sure that if I took time to repaste it, etc. things would probably be different, but you know.. It's a brand new laptop and I shouldn't have to open it up like that, etc. So I'm sending it back for a refund.

If you look through the Alienware thread it's kind of a "luck of the draw" thing too, moreso than with Asus and MSI, etc.

2. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the hero edition. you can read some of my previous post for some information. I went from a GL703VM and returned it for the 503V.M
    I posted screenshots of running prime95+furmark at the same time for about 25 minutes. I did do a undervolt on the CPU for about -125mv as well using afterburner to undervolt the GPU. As for the loudness of the pc, lets just say its pretty dam loud with or without fan overboost on. I keep fan overboost on just because its not that much "quieter" with it off so you might as well keep it on for better temps.

Temps are posted again in the screenshot below.
    My next test is probably with witcher 3 for an 1-2 hr of game play.

For battery life, you can get 3.5 to 4 hours of battery ish. As of typing this reply, i have about 2:39 hr left of use with the time on battery currently at 1:18 hr (using BatteryMon). So total time according to these numbers are 3:57 hr. This with screen at 30% and power saver mode on.

Overall, I like this laptop over the GL703VM version since this one has better battery life.

Attached Files:

3. lain09

lain09 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a GL503VS ordered through XoticPC with Kryonaut paste for both CPU and GPU. I've had it for about a week now and the fan noise was a bit concerning at first. I was not used to ramping up to such sounds on the razer blade 2013 model. I undervolted earlier to I think -0.060V but I got BSOD while gaming so I went back to normal. Sounds don't bother me now and I've seen the CPU low as 37C to 96C after gaming. It usually idles at 40-45 C which seems high but I do see it register around 35C when I check HWMonitor.

4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    could you test your system with aida64 extreme stability test cpu+gpu for 30 minutes? what temperatures?

5. Korzu

Korzu Newbie

Reputations:
    I am very interested in the 503VM Hero. However, I can’t find really any reviews or literature about the laptop.

My main concern is the response time of the monitor. ASUS lists the response time at 25MS, which seems like a hell of a lot for a 120Hz display! How is it? Do you notice a lot of ghosting in any FPS games or even other games?

6. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I don't really notice any ghosting that affects day to day use. As for FPS gaming, im not too sure. If you want a game for FPS , you should get the scar edition. This version is for MOBA games and possibly RPG games and what not.

Anyways I did a test for the Witcher 3 for about an hour and temps are pretty decent.

I am getting GPU temps of 70 degrees (thanks to undervolting the GPU) and CPU temps average around 75-76 degrees with max temp at 79 degrees.

Settings were mostly on high, with hairworks off, and shadow at low. Also fan overboost was on.

Attached Files:

7. David Solomon

David Solomon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

By any chance any of u guys know where I can find a bios update for the Gl503VS? The one with 1070? Pls help

8. Korzu

Korzu Newbie

Reputations:
    When you're riding around in Witcher 3, do you notice any ghosting? Trailing tree branches against the snow, for example?

9. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didnt notice any ghosting issues on witcher 3. I think you will be fine.

10. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    WTF Asus. Why must you ruin everything? I've been through over a dozen laptops the past two years, some with even more powerful graphics in them, and they ALL had optimus, advertised or otherwise. The very first Asus laptop I try in over a decade and it comes out with the ****tiest battery life of them all. If it's gonna be a literal brick on a desk shackled to a power outlet I don't see why they even bother to make it thin and light with suspect cooling.

I have to thank all the idiots on Amazon, newegg, and youtube for never mentioning this little gem that I spotted within the very first hour of unboxing the laptop. And of course the only mention of the issue is in a thread for a different model entirely.

So what are the chances newegg will let me return it without me getting butt raped with restocking fees?