Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you comment on how loud the system is on idle or just everyday uses such as browsing/watching videos?

2. Hale Leon

Hale Leon Newbie

Reputations:
    If you were speaking about the GL503VS, it’s not loud at all during normal daily stuff. Just the norm that you would expect. I literally don’t notice or am annoyed by any of the fan speeds, whether it be daily stuff, or gaming. I’m literally in love with this laptop.

3. alphaprime

alphaprime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Spec-wise, it's definitely the best 15.6" panel on the market. Would love to see this screen as an option on the various 2018 refreshes (Gigabyte Aero, Dell XPS, etc).

Is this where the screen goes black for fraction of a second during gaming? (basically blinks off then on very quickly?) I experienced this on the GL702VS and it's very distracting, but it's also completely random, worse in some games vs others, and seems to have happened less over time (perhaps a driver update smoothed things out). Any idea what causes it?

Agreed, how such a higher end model ended up with such lousy speakers is beyond me..

4. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    How's the backlight bleed? I currently have a zephyrus but might swap it for the 503 scar, and the backlight bleed is borderline unacceptable for a laptop this expensive. I have a couple days to decide.

5. Hale Leon

Hale Leon Newbie

Reputations:
    Eh, it's something like that. Perhaps it's not FPS lag, but it was directly correlated to when the system overheated. It would basically seem like the brightness was going up and down in the flash of a second, over and over again.

Unfortunately, I'm not the best to ask this question. I pulled up a full black screen and can't notice anything, so I'm not quite sure. I'm sure it has some, but nothing that I can even see or that bothers me.

6. BiudreuN

BiudreuN Newbie

Reputations:
    I have not managed to find almost any information about the GL503VM Hero edition. Can someone who bought it tell me how it handles the temperature and the sound of the fans? I really love the style it has, but I would hate to end up buying a hybrid between vacuum cleaner and toaster.
    I would always keep the MSI GS62VR, even if I hate its power button and its design.

7. SushiDubya

SushiDubya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Screen color reproduction and 144Hz is really nice. The unit I was using before had some acceptable backlight bleed on the 4 corners. The backlight bleed is pretty normal for an IPS screen and only really noticeable in a pitch black room. The screen is quite bright, so I found I could reduce the brightness to about 60% and it was still very bright, etc. That helped with the backlight bleeding for the one I was using.

I saw your other thread, that $800 can go a long way for other upgrades, etc. the build quality on the GL503 is quite nice. I just won't be keeping mine because I think the one I got had a bad pasting job, etc.

8. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, the zephyrus isnt playing nice with my recording interface so that kinda made my decision to swap for the gl503 Scar. Havent really been impressed with the zephyrus screen as the response time is really slow and I can see ghosting. This is exacerbated due to having a Rog Swift PG279q monitor on my main rig, so the slower response time is really jarring to me. Is the GL503 faster than the Zephyrus when it comes to response times?

9. SushiDubya

SushiDubya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the display for the GL503VS is really one of its strengths. I mentioned a few posts back that I use one of those Alienware 240Hz TN screens for my desktop gaming, and I feel that the Asus 144Hz IPS is very good compared to that. While the 240Hz TN is faster for sure, you only really see it when you flick the mouse to turn around 180 degrees in an FPS shooter on purpose, etc. I can't comment on the Zephyrus because I haven't tried it out, but the GL503VS screen was quite good in my opinion.

10. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    So when you say you aren't keeping it, does that mean you're exchanging it for another one or getting an entirely different brand? Like Hale Leon said, he experienced none of the thermal issues you had, so maybe you just had some bad luck with the laptop gods.

SushiDubya likes this.