Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can test witcher 3, but I do not have the other games.

2. fayth

fayth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes please, and post it here later the result of hwmonitor with normal fan and overboost fan after 1 hour of playing.

thanks

3. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I ran witcher 3 for about an 50 minutes.

On fan auto mode, temps are as follows:
    GPU: 86-88 degrees (these are on stock graphics settings.
    CPU : 85-94 degrees

Will run on overboost later when I get home.

EDIT: Ignore the initial result Maybe be inaccurate because I was screensharing witcher 3 with my GF via discord. I am redoing the test now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    fayth likes this.
  4. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So Here are the actual results without the discord screenshare.

Running Witcher 3 on Overboost after a cold boot for about 50 mins.
    CPU : around 75 degrees
    GPU: 80 degrees.

I then switched fan mode to auto and after about an hour:

CPU : 82 degrees
    GPU : 88 degrees

Tried to switching back to overboost mode but by then the laptop already generated too much heat and temps dropped to 87 degrees for GPU, CPU about the same. So temps are a little high but the good thing is you dont really feel on the area where you type and use the keys

Will probably do another test with overboost mode from cold boot again for 2 hours and see what happens.

Attached Files:

fayth likes this.
  5. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    actually, your warm test is more informative.

Most people are not just gonna play for an hour. so we need to see how well the fans extract heat.

Kinda disappointing that overboost doesn't do much. I thought those 12v fans would be cyclones

fayth and hmscott like this.
  6. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    oh they are cyclones, pretty dam loud if you dont have headphones on lol.

Also an update on the battery life.

Its quite bad, barely last 2 hours 4 mins using PCMARK 8 battery test.
    Pretty lame..considering of returning this laptop. This is with sound muted, brightness to 30%... Guess reducing the battery from 74 whr to 64 whr made a pretty big difference.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 1:55 AM
    fayth and hmscott like this.
  7. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    i wonder what's hogging the battery so much. That 17" screen must be a huge drain, because the 15" GL50x gtx1060 can get ~3.5 hours on a 64whr battery.

But do a real world test just browsing the web for hours with lowest brightness. and time it.

8. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I get about 2.5 to 3 hrs of battery life. I have to return the laptop it seems, tthe ROG Aura core does not work with my laptop, I may go with the 15 inch counterpart but I kinda like the traditional look compared to the hero edition. Will see.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 12:20 AM
  9. Unusual

Unusual Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys, asking for help to choose!
    I'm confused between three options, I really like 17' screens and the 1070 is much better in the long run.

rog gl503VS: 1070 but 15 inches

rog gl703VM: 1060 and 17 inches

rog gl702VS: 1070 and 17 inches but bad keyboard layout and back-lighting and terrible thermals

I don't care about the price, weight and design and I it must be ASUS to pick from. Shall I compromise the screen size for the performance or get a 1060 and wait 5 years to switch again or pick the old model and live with terrible keyboard ?

I use my laptop as a desktop replacement and my usage is browsing the net, watching tons of media and coding from time to time. Your opinions are highly appreciated.

10. alphaprime

alphaprime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fwiw, both the GL702VS and the GL503VM (1060) both have the type of screen matte that's noticeable on white backgrounds (it's hard to describe, but a white background doesn't look uniformly smooth, instead it looks a bit 'spacey', I believe b/c the matte is more pronounced when manufactured; notebookreview.com mentioned this in one of their in-depth reviews). For most, it's perhaps not an issue, but to me it was immediately noticeable and I just couldn't un-see it when demoing the models in-store.. I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually, but would still prefer it not being a factor.

I'm awaiting a review of the GL503VS to hear how its IPS 144hz panel performs. And I'm really hoping it doesn't have the noticeable matte effect the other Asus models have. Though I'll likely still get it regardless, since there's nothing else out there that's 15.6" and IPS @ 120-144hz, aside from the Zephyrus (no thanks) and the earlier 502 model this is replacing. Only Asus produces these high refresh models with IPS screens, every other maker's 120hz laptops are all TN panels I believe.

While the faux-brushed metal (but actually plastic) casing of the 502/702 models is decent, I'm personally a big fan of the smooth/soft black plastic casing of the new 503/703 models (though have heard they're grease and scratch magnets, so handle accordingly).

Weight is a factor for me (and I find 1080p resolution to be much better suited for 15.6" from a PPI perspective), so I'm solidly in the 15.6" camp. If one day they can make a 17.3" rig under 6lbs with a 3k/1440p @ 120hz IPS screen, I'll be in gaming laptop heaven..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 8:07 PM