Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nickk_87

Nickk_87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder if he made a mistake on the battery life on his review unit (that machine had a 1050). I cannot believe the Zephyrus with 51whr and 1080 max-q has the same battery life as the GL503 with 1050 and 64whr!
    I think the G-sync is only available on the 1070 aka VS versions (same as TB3 etc). So Optimus should be there.

Question for the American citizens! If you guys normally order a notebook on ExcaliburPc or XoticPC, is the price stated at a model the final price? Or will VAT be added later in the process? What's the VAT over there? :) (I'm dying to test out the GL503VS with the 1070 since there is still no review on that machine!)

2. alphaprime

alphaprime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's no VAT in the US. There is only state-based sales tax, but so long a buyer doesn't reside in the state in which the seller is based, the seller doesn't charge sales tax. So ExcaliburPc or XoticPC only charge sales tax to buyers located in the same state their companies are based in, and for buyers in all other 49 states, no sales tax is charged. Thus for most of us, the model price shown is the final price.

3. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my GL703VM-WB71 this saturday. Thermals seems fine so far. I haven't done long periods of stress testing yet, but I did ran AID64 test for about 2 mins. Temps of GPU went to about 74, and CPU went to about 71 ish during FPU testing. I had HIDevolution add thermal paste for me.

Also, installed my own SSD. Fans do get loud though under stress testing. Build quality is great, the laptop is way thinner than i expected compared the the 702VM version. I have not had the chance to try undervolting yet. So far seems like there is no Nvidia Optimus. But I am getting about 3 hours of battery life on normal use if I set the brightness down to about 33% and have powersaver on. I did not attempt to take off the entire base since Dave2d said it was difficult to remove but I can ask HIDevolution to see if they can send me a video tutorial on removing the bottom cover.

Just to help out the community, remember to go to C:\edrivers to back up those into an external HDD. I am not sure if my original windows install has that or not. The ASUS website does not have all the software listed such as Sonic Suite/Sonic Radar. The Gamersvisual (SplendidVideo) listed does not work either, and no ROG aura core listed either. I had to go to Bestbuy, and copy their software files from the GL503 on display because I did not know about this.

If you guys have any questions let me know, I will test it out for you when I get home.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    praetorianx likes this.
  4. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

so the nvidia control panel does not show a Gsync option like the Best Buy version does ?

and device manager does not show Intel GPU ?

5. dbzx

dbzx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    nope it does not, nor does it have optimus, which kinda saddens me, but overall laptop is very good.

EDIT: Just ran an FPU test with prime95 26.6, cpu temp capped out at 77 deg.

Ran heaven benchmark for gpu and temps capped out at 82 deg.

Fans are pretty loud at around 47-53 dBA.

Ran both test for 10 mins.

6. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    Device manager doesn't show Intel GPU either eh?

what an oversight.
    Maybe you can email asus R&D, software engineers, bios team, and ask them why the fark they didn't add gsync to the 17" version like they did with the 15" version.

7. fayth

fayth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    would you mind to test in gaming temperature like overwatch, the witcher 3 and PUBG, 1 hour each game and please do it with normal fan profile and overboost fan mode.

thanks in advance.

8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  9. ranjim

ranjim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it the first of its kind (144hz gsync on 15.6)? And any reviews available yet?

10. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    And it's IPS rather than high-quality-TN. I wonder if they've made an effort to give it relatively good response times.