Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Mr. H

Mr. H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, all

From what I've just heard is that the Hero version will only come with the GTX 1060 3 Gb instead of 6 Gb (not sure if this is the GTregional thing) and it should be released on October 16-19 according to the schedule. Pricing is around $1399-$1599.
    I've been using the MSI GE63VR Raider with the gtx 1070. Overall, it feels nice. If I wasn't wrong, there is a comment on the top saying that the Hero & Scar have 2 heat pipes for the CPU and 3 for GPU, so that's 5 in total. I am really worried about thermal management on the Asus Scar (1070 version) because the temp on my MSI (7 heat pipes) already reaches up to around 68-76 degree Celcius (already undervolted CPU -0.1200 mV, before undervolting was 85 max) after playing Overwatch for an hour, so I fear that with only 5 heat pipes it can reach up to 80 something.
    Also, I fear that there will be a delay if Asus decides to fix the SSHD issue going on with their GL503VD units, but the chance is very unlikely cuz they are releasing the new FX503 line up too anyway. But the issue really needs to be addressed cuz that is unacceptable for an over-$1000 gaming laptop.
    Here is the link to the pricing and config of the GL503VS. I am sorry because my source didn't allow me to announce it until this afternoon he sent me this site, so I decided to fool around a bit for the past few days :p

http://www.excaliberpc.com/664881/asus-rog-strix-gl503vs-dh74-15.6.html

Cheerios,

Nickk_87 likes this.
  3. Mr. H

Reputations:
    Nickk_87 likes this.
  4. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    What's the SSHD problem with the current 503/703 models?

Also, I personally wouldn't get a 1070 model in a chassis this size. The Raider is the first semi thin laptop with decent thermals for the 1070 models and like you said, it has 7 heat pipes.

Where did you read about the heat pipe set up in the 703 models with the 1060 and 1070?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. fayth

fayth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    there's no thunderbolt 3 port on GTX 1060 / 1070 model ?

6. Mr. H

Reputations:
    To @jrwingate6 , I think I got the info about the heat pipes set up from one of your comments. I tried to dig info bout the heat pipes from my source, but he said even he couldn't get access to such information beside knowing the fans are now 12 V instead of 5 V. And the concern about the SSHD is just me *****ing about it because I expect the file transferring rate of the GL503/703 (takes 2 mins 38s to copy a 4.97 gb of file, according to laptopmag.com) should be faster than a 7200 rpm HDD (takes 2 mins to copy a 4.87 gb of file), but it's a whatever I guess.

To @fayth , the only model that includes a thunderbolt 3 port is the GL503VS Scar Edition (GTX 1070), not sure how many PCIE express lanes it has tho

Nickk_87 likes this.
  7. fayth

fayth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL. so how about the GL503VM (GTX 1060) price? i haven't seen one of them yet

8. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    Gotcha. I was just wondering if you confirmed the heat pipe set up from another source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Mr. H

Reputations:
    @fayth Price for VM version should be around $1399-$1699 depends on the config (RAM/SDD). It is coming soon, roughly October 16 or around that.

@jrwingate6 my firm didn't confirm if the information is correct or not because that's beyond his capability :p

So far, the thing I hate bout my MSI is the Killer 1435 wireless card. I will use it for like another week to see whether Imma keep this permanently

10. Nickk_87

Nickk_87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the info Mr. H! Men, I think i’ll Just go for the GX501 in stead, no heat issues there!