Asus ROG GL503

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr. H

Mr. H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also heard that while assembling the device, they didn't screw the heat pipes and the fan tight enough (I saw it on a youtube vid, and the guy said that the pipes and the fans were loose). And also, the workers seemed not to get paid enough or sth, so the way they add on the thermal paste is just like kids playing with the glue if u get what I am trying to say :p

hmscott likes this.
  2. williamaltu

williamaltu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why did this happen ? I mean, would'nt this get things a little better?

[​IMG]

3. williamaltu

Reputations:
    Is it a good recommendation then, if we buy a GL503, to open it and check all thermal paste used ? Actually, is it a good recommendation to always open your brand new gaming laptop and check the thermal paste ? (and fix the issue of needing more or having a better one?)

4. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I honestly don't know. I just remember reading something over on the ROG forums. It was something along the lines of the 3rd fan resirculating the hot air.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Mr. H

Reputations:
    Here are the following things I would do if I were in that case:
    1. Estimate the temps of your device will reach, like low 80 degrees Celcius (or Fahrenheit up to you) for example.
    2. Fire up the device, clean up all the junks and bloatware to make the test more precise.
    3. Run some stress tests. If the temps are meet your expectation, you don't need to do anything further. Also, try to undervolt it to see if the temps meet your expectation, too.
    4. If the temps don't meet your expectation (even after undervolting), try to open it. But before you do so, make sure to check if the manufacturer voids your warranty if you do so.
    5. Check all the screws to see if they are tightened well enough. Go back and do some stress tests to see if any improvement on temperature. If it is improved, you don't have to bother buying thermal paste for now.
    6. If not, then yeah you may have to buy thermal paste and disassemble the fans and heat pipes to repaste the CPU and GPU.
    Hope you find it helpful, mate! Cheerios :)

6. williamaltu

Reputations:

Thank you !!
    Can anyone please help me with the undervolt process ?? is it different depending on the device? Can anyone please point me the part of the forum where this is spoken?
    Thank you !

7. Mr. H

Reputations:
    For me, I use a software called "Intel Utility Tools." You can google it and click on the link from Intel. It's sort of difficult for me to show you here, so I will link you a video that you should fine helpful:
    And for voltage, I used to undervolt the i7-7700hq on my GL502VS down to -0.1200 mV, but the temp did change, so I ended up returned the laptop and wait for this new line up to come out and see if there is any improvement!
    Cheerios!

8. Alien69

Alien69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As it looks pretty obvious just seeing that picture, it doesn't help at all if you don't re-design the whole thing to accommodate a proper air flow based on 3 fans instead of 2. You can't just slap a fan like that in there and expect magic to happen.

9. williamaltu

Reputations:
  10. praetorianx

praetorianx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Here is the first look at the model with 1050 inside. And guess what? It's hot and loud. With 1050. ... Good job.