Asus ROG Gl502VM vs Sager NP8152-S

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Xileforce, Aug 18, 2016.

?

Sager or Asus

1. Asus

10.0%
  2. Sager

90.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xileforce

Xileforce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Its my first post here. Im likely going to pickup my first gaming laptop in the near future(cant drag my gaming rig to college lol). I really want to get a laptop with a 1000 series card and so far ive narrowed it down to the Asus ROG GL502VM http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl502vm-db71.html and the Sager NP8152-S http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8152s-clevo-p650rpg.html Now my main problem here is im not at all familiar with sager or clevo. I understand that clevo makes the product and sager and others customize and resell, but I know nothing of their quality, and other features relative to other brands. Anyways, just hoping you guys can maybe shed some light on this comparison for me. The sager definitely seems to be the better deal from pure specs. If you have any other suggestions I'm always happy to hear it as well. Mainly want to keep it relatively thin and compact (sub 17 inches) if possible and really dont want to go over like $1400. A gtx 1060 is probably plenty, my desktop has a gtx 970 and as far as I can tell the 1060 is actually better. Thanks for any input guys!

2. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Clevo resellers (Sager, XoticPC, lpcDigital, HIDev etc.) is the better solution IMHO.
    With Alienware, you're paying for the brand name, and you'll get less for your money where "technical support" (which is quite frankly a joke) is virtually non-existent.
    With Sager (or any other reseller), you get a small business with warranty backed by Sager (bigger company than you think) and support is actually knowledgeable people (since this is their bread and butter) as opposed to some script monkey from some 3rd world country that doesn't give a damn about you.

kilinol and Xileforce like this.
  3. Xileforce

Reputations:
    Thanks for the insight! Thats definitely comforting to know. As far as the clevo itself goes: Im interested in the build quality, cooling, screen, keyboard etc, compared to some of the competition if you have any experience with that.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Build quality I would rank near the top, below the Razer Blade but around the MSI GT72. Its made of metal, the screen is the flimsiest but since its not touch you shouldn't ever be touching it anyway. Screens are whatever you want but the 1080p gsync one is a solid IPS panel, you can also go for 4k if you so choose. Keyboard is fine, its a laptop, travel is decent. Cooling is well above average, it does a much better job than laptops of similar thickness.

5. Xileforce

Reputations:
    Wow thats great to hear! I think I would definitely upgrade to the ips display with gsync and im happy to hear that about the build quality and cooling. The model im looking at also comes with free ic diamond cooling(not sure how much diff it actually makes). Slightly off topic but is xoticpc a good place to purchase from?

6. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    XoticPC is a good place to order Sager/Clevo Laptops.

Xileforce likes this.
  7. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Price compare between XoticPC, HIDEvolution, LPC Digital and Eurocom and pick the best one. Some offer additional benefits like HID will apply liquid ultra to your cpu which is more dangerous to apply yourself but much better thermal paste than IC Diamond.

Xileforce likes this.
  8. Xileforce

Reputations:
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Ill definitely be comparing prices between those sites.

9. Xileforce

Reputations:
    So comparing prices. I can get the same clevo(just branded as evoc) from hidrevolution for about $40 cheaper and also have the coollabs liquid thermal stuff as well as it comes with something called perma bios which im not familiar with. The downside is the ram is 2133mhz vs 2400mhz and for the ssd it says its their choice rather than xotics sandisk x400. Xotics does say that the 1tb hdd is only sata II though, but im thinking its maybe a typo(would confirm before purchase). I feel that I could probably get them to about the same price with xotics student discount. Which setup would likely be the better deal?

10. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Liquid Ultra gets you excellent thermal transfer, and Prema BIOS gives you greater control over your hardware (aka its fully unlocked).
    In most scenarios, you wont notice any discernible difference between 2133 and 2400.
    SSD wise, unless they're going with some piece of crap SSD from some no name brand, it's not really a problem. HDD should be SATA III though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.