asus rog gl 553ve throttling

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mariaevinne, Jun 19, 2017 at 5:13 AM.

1. mariaevinne

mariaevinne Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,
    I just bought ASUS ROG GL 553VE Notebook with GTX 1050TI graphic card and i7 7700HQ processor.
    I am happy with this notebook but I am encountering problem with performance loss after few minutes of gaming.
    After few minutes the processor and GC reaches about 83, 85°C and then clocking drops to 2.6Ghz CPU and in result it makes most games unplayable.
    I am asking if there is some solution for this issue. I still can make a refund for 10 days which I am taking into account right now.

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try undervolting it with Intel XTU.
    I have a 553VE as well and I have no throttling problem although I wouldn't know if I had one since I've been running XTU from day one.
    I most certainly don't have a problem with throttling now.

There is another point to be made here - 2.6GHz is not really looking like throttling. Base clock for this CPU is 2.8GHz (with 3.8GHz being max turbo freq) so working at 2.6GHz is hardly throttling nor would it make most games unplayable. Something else might be a problem here.

Make sure you update BIOS as there have been two fixes regarding GPU in BIOS since the release of this notebook.

don_svetlio and mariaevinne like this.
  3. mariaevinne

mariaevinne Newbie

Reputations:
  4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    2.6GHz is still decent and shouldn't be causing ingame performance drops, especially with a 1050 TI class dGPU. Check your dGPU clockspeed and make sure that the game is not pushing absurd settings or VRAM usage. As for heat, undervolt it with XTU if you want tho, at 85*C, that's really not hot at all.

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    mariaevinne and don_svetlio like this.
  6. downloads

Reputations:
    @mariaevinne Well I was wrong. I tested it and exceeding 85*C on CPU throttles it even when it's undervolted (in my case by 0,105V).
    CPU goes down from 3.38GHz or thereabout to some 2.7-2.9 GHz range and Intel XTU diplays "Throttling : YES".

When CPU is under load alone that does not happen but when GPU and CPU are both under load this happens within 5 minutes while testing.

mariaevinne likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I imagine it's a BIOS-based throttle point like they had on the G551 years ago. I mean, still, at 2.6GHz, it should be fine with a 1050/1050 Ti

mariaevinne likes this.
  8. downloads

Reputations:
    @don_svetlio It seems so - 85*C is clearly a limit.
    I've managed do undervolt to 0,125V which did not help too much. It's still throttling when it reaches 85*C except now it manages to stay around 2.85GHz- 3GHz when it reaches this temperature.

Maybe it's capable of some more undervolting and maybe re-pasting would improve that situation somewhat but it's not great either way. I do not see any result of this in games though.

EDIT: It's not capable of any more undervolting. It froze on me at 0,130V although it passed a stress test at 0,125V. I'm gonna stick to 0,120V to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    mariaevinne likes this.
  9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I agree - the limits are odd. I mean, mine is limited at 92-93*C CPU and 86*C GPU. These I understand, these are about what I'd consider the max safe temps for my components. But 85*C for the CPU is low. Back with the G551, it was originally limited to 74*C on the 860M (absurdly low) - later BIOS updates raised it to 79*C (official) and 82*C (BETA bios).

In any case, it shouldn't throttle in most games (though I guess in ones like Witcher 3 I can see it occurring). A repaste may fix it but, with a 1050/1050 Ti, I doubt it would make a difference either way. Running my system at 2.55GHz vs 3.1GHz gives me the exact same results in games so I just disable turbo to have less noise and slightly lower thermals.

10. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    Anything below 2.8ghz under normal conditions (like this) is considered throttling.

it lowered the damn multiplier to 26x. Throttled.

You likely have a bad paste job on the cpu.

I once had 3 G501's with the 6700hq, and one of them overheated worse than the others, and would throttle simply from running Cinebench. It consistently got lower CB scores obviously.

Since Intel doesn't make cpu's with such great variance, it all points to a bad heatsink paste job.

I would exchange it for another unit. Let Asus handle the refurbishing

mariaevinne likes this.