*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :eek:

ok, this thing has a mind of its own! All of a sudden it's as if it was unlocked.

It's exactly as strange as it sounds. I've literally stopped troubleshooting it after I saw that in XTU things were greyed out too. Uninstalled XTU and that was it. I played FC New Dawn last night and nothing else. Haven't touched any other settings in ThrottleStop, I just opened it up now to look around with no purpose and noticed my voltage changes were applied. Can't believe this, can't explain how!

CPU voltages.jpg

minc3 likes this.
  2. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow wow wow.. is that the new bios? OMG, i might want to try uninstall XTU and give it a try. LOL

3. cucubits

Reputations:
    No, no new bios. It's still 301, the initial version. I'm not aware of any updates. I really haven't done anything to make this work. Completely surprised too.

minc3 likes this.
  4. minc3

Reputations:
    Hmmmm finger crossed. Lol hopefully it works. Btw did u restart after uninstalling XTU?

5. minc3

Reputations:
    No luck. Still the same. :(

6. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yes, closed ThrottleStop (didn't uninstall it), installed XTU, reboot, check settings - noticed still greyed out - uninstall - reboot - thats it. Since then I've restarted a couple more times (power on/off for random gaming sessions). Only kept turning on ThrottleStop to apply my initial lower multiplier turbo speed (3.1GHz).

I can't explain it and now I'm afraid to mess with any settings. Just turned up a bit more the voltages to -100mv for core/cache and -60mv for igpu. So far it does seem to make a difference. Haven't seen it above 70C under load.

I asked in ThrottleStop thread too, let's see what unclewebb says.

hmscott likes this.
  7. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It makes zero sense to lock down the G703 so I don't think this was deliberate by ASUS. It has ample cooling available, and the previous two models (Kaby Lake/Pascal, Coffee Lake/Pascal) have not had this issue. It sounds like it is shipped with something weird going on with BIOS settings. Especially as you now have it working. Hopefully a reliable method to replicate unlocking it is found for you guys. It's an amazing laptop when tuned (undervolting + overclocking), and we have the benefit of ASUS allowing a much higher GPU TDP being much higher than other brands (I am pretty sure your Turing models also allow up to 200W).

hmscott, minc3 and cucubits like this.
  8. minc3

Reputations:
    i am waiting for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut from Amazon. Gonna try to repaste it and see since i cant undervolt it.

Just wonder if its gonna void my warranty by repasting it?

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    I don't think so. I haven't seen any seals when opening it up. Just be patient and take your time with a guitar pick style pry tool when popping the case for the first time.

Also, I only repasted the CPU/GPU, I felt that the thick factory paste style pads on the VRMs and other components around there was still good. Plus I didn't have enough new pads to cover all.

Oh and if you take out the battery (just one extra screw once the lid is off), be sure to put it back. I actually started putting it back together, popped the back on and starting screwing it in place when I realized I had forgotten about the battery :D

10. minc3

Reputations:
    LOL. Hopefully no tiny stickers / seals for UK’s model as well.

Thanks for the reminder.

Btw, what paste did u used?

For the vrm(s), i am planning to clean off and apply thermal grizzly Kryonaut on it as well. Since the stock application used paste as well right?

EDIT: what was your temp before and after?

I noticed the temp on every cores kinda far apart when i did a test with cinebench r15. Throttling in 1/2 cores and the rest just nice. Scored around 1170.

Wasn’t looking for any big figure but trying to make it at least “not throttling”.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    hmscott likes this.