*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, of course :) I've been messing around in Farcry 5 last night for about an hour and everything looked stable, in average about 7 degrees C cooler which actually sometimes made the fans slow all the way down even while in game. I will try more games too and post back.

Only thing that still makes me sad/angry is that asus locked this thing down. Especially since I'm running it a lower frequency, I would've really loved to be able to undervolt it too.

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you tried uninstalling armoury crate before undervolting? Is it possible that is locking down or overwriting settings? It seems odd undervolting would just not work.

3. cucubits

Reputations:
    Not yet. I will try that and give it a shot with XTU too. We'll see. For now I'll leave it alone for a few days to make sure everything is stable.

4. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cucubits I sincerely hope the thermal woes on your G703GX are rare case of faulty hardware or software. Most reviews on the G703GX I've seen/read don't suffer from thermal throttling even with an i9 8950HK at base clock speeds, but tech reviewers tend to receive review units cherry picked by either vendors or manufacturers so I take those with a grain of salt.

An i7 8750H CPU running at 90C while playing games on a MASSIVE 17.3" DEKSTOP REPLACEMENT?! Even with stock paste this should never happen, this is not an Aero 15X!
    Therefore, you have to manually limit your CPU frequency WAY below the max 3.9 Ghz all core or 4.0 Ghz dual core?!
    What a rip off, what's the point then, ASUS should slap an i5 there and charge less money to the costumer. This is ridiculous.

ASUS ROG truly screwed up by removing the third dedicated heat pipe for the CPU; now it's 2 shared 2 dedicated, while the GPU has 3 dedicated heat pipes and 1 shared. Sigh, Nvidia GPUs rarely go above 80 C anyways and T Junction is 87 C, Laptop RXT 2080 has the same 150 watt TDP as laptop GTX 1080! Meanwhile Coffee lake and it's refresh are notorious for running super hot and being throttle hogs, terrible call.

Well now I'm having serious doubts about purchasing this notebook with the HOTTER I9 8950HK, wasting almost 500 USD if the thermal solution can't cool properly a puny i7 8750H at 3.9 Ghz, how can I expect to get my money's worth out of an i9 and it's 4.4 Ghz (ASUS even brags about 4.8 Ghz OC...).

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Nah, it all started with Asus bundled software not working properly (keep the CPU at 4Ghz while the fans were on medium speed). If the fans are allowed to blast full speed there's no throttling. Not the most efficient cooling setup but it works for what's intended.

I would absolutely love to see some data from someone else who has this model. Start armoury crate and simply switch profiles while watching CPU speed with CPU-Z or any other software. Does the balanced profile where the fans are at lower speed have the CPU at 4GHz? If yes, Asus guys who set this up are simply stupid at their job.

I chose to limit the CPU speed to a little over 3GHz because I prefer less noise above performance. Every game still runs perfectly with the highest setting and it'll probably be the same for the next couple years. I don't have to have the fans and CPU going at full speed. If you buy a high performance sports car, you don't have to drive it like crazy all the time. Best analogy ever :)

6. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi there, may i know if anyone has successfully undervolt the 8750h? I tried XTU and definitely greyed out. Meanwhile throttlestop’s undervolt setting just don’t work. The far right corner in FIVR where we can see the voltage shows 0.000 no matter how i adjust it, apply or save the settings. Followed several guidelines on YouTube but it just wont stick.

7. cucubits

Reputations:
    Same, I haven't found any post about successfully undervolting this thing. I will try XTU shortly but I don't have any high hopes.

No biggie, I'm ok with it as is now, but it would've been cool to change some more settings. Maybe someone will figure out a way to modify a bios image and unlock it.

Edit: as expected it's the same in XTU, voltage options and others are greyed out. This is really disappointing from Asus that they locked us out, especially considering the price of this thing and that in the end it's built for the enthusiast market who like to change settings and tinker with everything. It's a shame and this will most likely keep me away from Asus in the future.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. minc3

Reputations:
    Yeap.. XTU totally locked. But am curious why only g703 as other rog series are capable of undervolting their 8750h. :confused:

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    I guess it can also be just a stupid oversight from Asus... I don't know the procedure, if they have to do something extra to lock it or unlock it before leaving the production line.

Wonder what their answer would be if asked. I'd expect a useless generic customer support reply.

minc3 likes this.
  10. minc3

Reputations:
    Did u tried how is it after uninstalling gaming centre or armoury crate? Ive been told that it wont work as well. :confused: