*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know. What do you mean disable? Like it won't let throttlestop apply the changes? Even after the sleep/wake cycle?

I did try another shutdown and after this 1909 windows update, the voltage changes are made instantly, no need for the sleep/wake cycle.

I'll stay away from the bios update.

2. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes it is completly disabled. Sleep/wake cycle doesn't work after this BIOS update.
    I am on windows v2004 BTW and it doesn't work. It did until today when I updated the BIOS.

Edit

The good news is that you can downgrade to an older BIOS version. After going back today to v306 undervolting in back. I just hope they don't push this upgrade through windows updates like they did with v303

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    cucubits likes this.
  3. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are you using all external ports by any chance? The only thing I can think of it's that the m.2 drives have no PCI-e lanes left to use. This CPU only has 16 PCI-E lanes and the GPU uses 8 out of those. If you use external USB devices it may use all your lanes. I plugged in 3 m.2 slots and they work fine. Plus also use 64GB if ram and all ram slots are populated front and back of the board.
    I am probably running those m.2 drives on one lane instead of 4 but they still work. SATA drive works too.

4. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wierdly when my pc updated, the other day I've had a few problems.

The task scheduler wasn't putting pc to sleep and wasn't starting throttlestop. Resetting the tasks fixed it, but still wasn't starting every time as before And since I've used newest version Of throttlestop it doesn't show in task bar icon (have checked settings, redownloaded ect)

I did notice that if I do a sleep cycle and open throttlestop after, it appears to work, where as before throttlestop had to be open before and then during the sleep cycle, I will try opening it before sleep Tomorow to see if this works as this would be amazing to just set throttlestop to launch at login!

Hopefully the bios won't force update, although I disable Windows updates and do them manually!

I got the m.2 to work, I couldn't get a pcie one to work, only nvme pci, so it's got a 1tb sabrent rocket drive in there now which seems to work a treat (although as Windows was installed on this and original drive it seemed to completely corrupt both!!, the bios wouldn't recognise either as boot drives so had to wipe both and start again which worked, spent about 5 hours trying to get it to boot before wiping)

Only have a mouse and cooling mat plugged into the pc, sometimes I'll use headphones but rarely and sometimes it charges xbox control but rarely!

5. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm also on version 2004 (idk when I got that, don't remember installing it) and I can confirm it does not work. I still have to do a sleep wake cycle
    I'll look into weather that windows can be reverted later on tonight and let you know how I get on

_____
    UPDATE

Looks like when I had to reinstall os from usb I've had since ver1903 it automatically updated to the latest version when it's 'checking for updates' in install process. Therefore without another reinstall I'm not going to be able to downgrade.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. cucubits

Reputations:
    Well, I guess I'll be enjoying this while it lasts. Most likely I won't fight windows when it will want to update further.

upload_2020-7-14_0-40-17.png

rmillsg703 likes this.
  7. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really hate to say it but I just checked Asus website, and since there is an windows update version released at the same time, I'm expecting it to come in a windows update format sooner or later

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

cucubits likes this.
  8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Maybe a newer version of Throttlestop will work? I haven't been following its thread but who knows. If we do lose the undervolting option, I guess we'll see how much it will affect the temps. To be honest, I don't want to spend too much effort on this.

So far the laptop has been working well, even after all my attempts to destroy it:

- drilled out the case bottom for better airflow
    - put liquid metal on CPU/GPU
    - added extra heatsinks (tiny glue-on copper heatsinks on various parts of the cooling system) - this may bite me as last time I picked it up, some have fallen off and now they are just dingling inside :))) I placed the laptop slowly back on the table and haven't moved it since - this was, a few months ago.

9. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    cucubits likes this.
  10. wilpang

wilpang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I've got the G703GXR version and currently on 2004 and new Bios has become available for me it's 303. Is it better to hold off? I think you guys are on 308...