*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all, firstly Asus never replied when I asked an approximate time frame, no surprise!

Secoundly does anyone play Call Of Duty Modern Warfare (2019)? It's worked brilliantly on my laptop until just recently! Last couple of months it's been giving me massive frame drops to about 45fps from approx 115-135fps. It's fine on my desktop machine, and I think this is the only game doing it! (mind I don't play alot of different games that you'd notice, normally strategy games) Doesn't always do it either?

Speedshift is off as I know that caused someone else problems. Nvidia is on prefer maximum preformance, laptop is in manual mode with both chargers and overclock disabled. Cpu running at 3.6ghz - 125mv (have tried disabling throttlestop and this made no difference, unvolt not to blame). Latest nvidia drivers (never had issues with updating them before with this machine) latest Windows 10!

The only way I've managed to work around it is if I set priority to high in task manager, but even then it isn't a flawless experience as before? Unsure what to do or if it's the game on high end hardware?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

2. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone facing GPU throttled at 75c temp limit?
    Gpu-z shown 87c, but temp still limited at 75c.

Thanks.

3. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted it? Ensure it isn't a power limit?

I'll check mine Tomorow to see if I'm getting it

4. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, undervolt.
    Not a power limit. Shows temp limit in afterburner and GPU-Z.
    I think got some issue with the GPU. It went to 75c in 1-2 seconds from idle 45c when running heaven.
    Btw, its ok. I've already returned the laptop to the seller. Bought it used.

Thanks.

rmillsg703 likes this.
  5. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Amal77 ah okay, probably just needed repasting!

on a similar note, as mentioned before COD was playing up, but sometimes it would work fine! so i decided to just assume it was the game. Recently i bought spyro, and i keep getting random frame drops, at first i assumed game again then noticed that no one online mentioned any problems like this. I installed it on my friends PC and they didnt get the problems im getting.
    Once again the game will run flawlessly and then randomly stutter for just a few secs. On a game such as spyro it isnt a deal breaker but on cod online it really is!

i found that the GPU clock seems to have made a habit of fluxuating alot from max boost to base clock speeds. Not sure if this is because the game doesnt require the horse power or weather there is a fault? Max temp on this game is like 63c so its not throttling! Have disabled throttlestop, and am currently reinstalling all nvidia drivers.

6. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all, has anyone put another m.2 in this machine?

Have just tried replacing original one with another, wouldn't read it, put it in one of the empty two slots, wouldn't read it. It's brand new and works in another machine!

Can't see any setting for it in bios, thanks

7. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just repasted my G703GX (i7 9750H, RTX 2080) with liquid metal and temps drop by 20°C @@@. Before, the CPU was hovering around 98-99°C playing COD at max fan and now it just 76-78°C with quieter fan! This stuff is amazing, it's a shame that Asus only use it for the model with the i9.

Papusan and rmillsg703 like this.
  8. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea it is amazing how much heat it saves! I use a carbonaut pad so I'm slightly higher.

I also limit cpu to 3.6ghz so it saves a bit more temp, lower fan noise as under 70c! Only lose like 2-3fps!

Mines an 8750h not the 9750h, so if you tried that you may be able to set it at a slightly higher speed. Do it in windows 10 power settings or you can add it to the registry. Also can undervolt with throttlestop but will have to put the computer to sleep with throttlestop running every time you use machine. If you read further up you'll see how I've made it happen automatically

_________
    Update

Could only get an nvme m.2 to work, pci e wouldn't. Thought I'd restore pc, make a copy of the image and reinstall Windows to see if it fixed my issue. In the middle of restore the computer crashed, and corrupt the hard drive! I couldn't recover it after a hour or so, have installed fresh install of Windows. Seems to be working better, but I don't actually know yet! The games were lost on the hard drive, they're downloading as we speak

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    cucubits likes this.
  9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just installed update Windows 10 update 1909 and when I first started throttlestop, the voltage setting have applied immediately. It's possible no sleep/wake cycle is needed anymore.

Would like a confirmation from someone else with 1909 if this is indeed the case, I don't want to power off now :D

10. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New BIOS is up on ASUS website. It will disable undervolting so if you plan to update to new BIOS be mindful that you might loose the option to undervolt.