*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll eventually do something simmilar but with bigger intake holes and also cut into the cover right under the heatsink big enough to go through both dies. There are some cover edges though that need to be intact because they push onto the heatsink to make more preasure. Some 1 mm thick steel mesh glued in place to cover the holes should be enough to give back some sturdiness.
    I think that those holes under the heatsink are a good way to go since alot of heat gets trapped inside the laptop even with fans runnig high rpm.

2. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all, just checked for updates and found these, unsure what the asus one is and weather the windows one (being 85gb!!!) will affect system, being cautious about all updates since every update i install on this machine always results in me wiping everything and starting again

also on another note, the headphone jack seems to work if and when! ARGGGGG

*headphone jack works, when you plug in, open realtek centre embedded in windows 10, bottom left has hardware, and you select headphone or headset (opposite to one it's on), works perfect plugged and unplugged, until a restart

Installed all updates one by one, in sledgehammer updater if you use option 2 minitool then it gives you more details a out the update, so I was able to see the updates were all fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  3. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New BIOS version up on ASUS website but it looks like undervolting still works with TS and sleep/wake cycle.
    Also latest windows updates didn't change anything in undervolting the CPU at least on my unit.
    Curious though if and when TS will completly stop working.
    Anyone else experiencing different results with the latest BIOS and windows updates?

4. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since installing that sledgehammer program to manage windows updates, I haven't had any issues, although haven't updated in a couple of weeks! So when I'm on it over weekend I'll install them all and test it out!

I did try to uninstall the sledgehammer program end of February but I couldn't work out how to! As windows updates are still blocked when I remove it

P.S thank you for helping me with armoury crate on message few months back, I never got around to replying but the info really helped!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Rodo1ju

Rodo1ju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

After 7 years of owning ASUS g750jx i want to buy new laptop.

My first candidate is/was?! g703gx with RTX 2080 and i9-8950HK.

Then i came across this thread. I make my way through a lot of pages, but i want you guys to give me summary and anwser some of my questions.

1. As i get it, this is thread for i7 version of g703gx and i see a lot of heating of i7 procesor. Am i right that i9 will be heating even more?

2. My ASUS g750jx does not even move from around 70-75 °C when at full load. But here i am seeing tempertures closer to 95°C....are those temperatures normal for procesor this days?

3. I saw here a lot of bad thing about ASUS software (armoury). Are problem fixed or not?

4. A lot of talk was about some undervoltage, overclocking and frequency limiting. Does this laptop really need to be tuned by users? Is ASUS really become that bad?

5. A lot of talk was about repasting this laptop. Is this neccessary for normal use (playing games). For 3k+ laptop i would want ASUS to take care of this things at least for first 2 years..... With quality paste out of factory)

6. Is this laptop (i9 version) is worth buying?

6. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. As i get it, this is thread for i7 version of g703gx and i see a lot of heating of i7 procesor. Am i right that i9 will be heating even more?
    Yes, the i9 will run hotter and I believe the cooling hardware is exactly the same as for the i7.

2. My ASUS g750jx does not even move from around 70-75 °C when at full load. But here i am seeing tempertures closer to 95°C....are those temperatures normal for procesor this days?
    I had the g750 too and you're right. It had much better cooling. Out of the box with this new one, I expect you'll see above 90C temps easily. I had to repaste with liquid metal and put additional heatsinks, limit CPU clock, undervolt and lift rear side to get better temps.

3. I saw here a lot of bad thing about ASUS software (armoury). Are problem fixed or not?
    Not as far as I know. Still garbage software. Unreliable.

4. A lot of talk was about some undervoltage, overclocking and frequency limiting. Does this laptop really need to be tuned by users? Is ASUS really become that bad?
    Sadly, yes.

5. A lot of talk was about repasting this laptop. Is this neccessary for normal use (playing games). For 3k+ laptop i would want ASUS to take care of this things at least for first 2 years..... With quality paste out of factory)
    See above. Without repasting with liquid metal, I don't see how you'll see better temps.

6. Is this laptop (i9 version) is worth buying?
    In my opinion, no, it's not worth buying. Asus has gone downhill with their laptop quality. This is mostly subjective but if I were to go back with what I know about it now, I wouldn't have bought it. In my case it's my daily machine sitting all the time on the desk. Smart move would have been to build a cool and quiet PC.

Who knows, maybe since this came out, Asus made improvements but I wouldn't rely on this gamble. I don't know what other good alternatives are there.

7. Rodo1ju

Rodo1ju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your quick reply, but your reply makes me very sad....those things should not be happening with 3k+ laptop....it shouldnt!

And knowing how thick and robust ASUs is built i assume that every other laptop have the same problem?

8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Maybe wait for others to chime in too. Don't base your purchase or not purchase decision on this thread only.

I had high hopes for Asus, I really loved their previous machines. Don't get me wrong, this thing is powerful even with the i7 in mine and with the reduced clock speed. The RTX2080 is awesome and will run anything I can think of.

On the other hand, you're right, at almost $3k, it's sad you have to do all these to get decent temps. Well maybe you could get the same temps if you turn all the way up the fans too, but the main reason I wanted an Asus was for noise. All the previous models had good cooling and were quiet enough for gaming.

By the way, to change the topic for just a sec. A while ago I was complaining about coil whine with this laptop. I haven't done anything about it but at some point it just went away completely. I'm assuming it's not my ears that filtered it out since I could clearly hear it from anywhere in the room. Now it's fine. Maybe a driver update fixed it?

9. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all, firstly my opinion:
    I believe the i9 comes with liquid metal on cpu but I could be wrong so check that before buying!

From doing lots of research and watching reviews from 'lower end' you tubers (less than 1k subs), not official reviews, they are reviewing a product they bought and not samples supplied and almost all gaming laptop see over 90c out of the box, reviewers don't sometimes, which doesn't surprise me they want people to think they are better than they are!

I've not put liquid metal, I've got with a carbonaut pad (yes I know they have mixed reviews) but with that mine sits about 80c max on stress test, with undervolt it's about 68c but while gaming as it shares heatsink with gpu it does creep up to the same temp as gpu around 74c. I think as it has a proper mount around it not a cheap one laptops normally have a terrible mount for heatsink. Also easy to install with no mess.

Armoury crate isn't the best but it has improved, all of the features currently work for me in the latest update as of last week.

Undervolting is a pain, a few pages back you will see I've set mine to launch throttlestop on start up then sleep 1 sec after start up, so as soon as you see login screen it sleeps before you have time to press anything, then a few secs later I wiggle mouse and login and it's all done, this hasn't affected any windows updates as they just block it from sleeping.

All modern gaming laptops have stupidly loud fans, they're all headset laptops these days! Even the Asus one with the slide down keyboard so it can get air from top!

Don't think there's anything I've missed, I'd go with one of these again as the raw preformance is better than most, but it's worth watching reviews from lower end people as I said, they tend to be more honest and reliable!

Also cucubits, did you get any better temps with the modified case after? Thanks

And my coil whine also went away, I could only hear mine when I was trying to listen to it, but read your post a couple days ago and have been on my machine alot lately with reduced hours at work, and have been trying to listen for it and it's gone, hopefully an update fixed it!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    I've also heard this but I don't remember from where. Also, if true, it's possible they didn't start this with earlier batches, maybe worth considering. Still, to me this just means Asus admits their cooling is not good and patch it up with better contact solution.

This is a good idea. I still do it manually. I usually just power off the thing maybe once a week and then I put it to sleep and wake it up. On the other hand, this shouldn't be a requirement for a laptop at this price point.

While I do feel it improved cooling (it's obvious that more air is being pulled in with less noise), I do not have any actual testing numbers. So far none of the latest games push the temps up so that the fans get too loud.

rmillsg703 likes this.