*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone block windows 10 updates? The person who was helping us with throttlestop messaged me to help me out a bit better, and was very good I'm very greatful!

He also informed me that Intel is releasing an microcode update to disable voltage control which stops us from undervolting, some people from overclocking! 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th gen cpu, to fix a security flaw to do with 'plundervolt'

As yet I haven't been on the laptop to disable the win 10 updates, but just wondering if it has been rolled out on this machine yet :/

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You do not have to block all Windows 10 updates. I suggest using a tool like Sledgehammer so you can decide what updates you want on your computer.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/28/c...th-sledgehammer-formerly-wumt-wrapper-script/
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumt_wrapper_script.html

I am not a big fan of having Microsoft or Intel forcing things on me that I may not want.

Until everyone finds out more about Intel's recent microcode update and potentially blocking under volting, it is best to play it safe and keep a close eye on what is being installed on your computer.

I would definitely not be first in line to update my bios. Let other brave users be the guinea pigs for Intel's experiments.

rmillsg703 and Papusan like this.
  3. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Damn, so soon no more undervolting?
    This CPU is hot enough even undervolted let alone running it at stock voltage...
    I had buyers remorse 3 days after having this laptop and things only go from bad to worse with this thing.
    I guess ryzen is the way to go from now at least for the next couple of years ahead

4. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If I'm honest I didn't care what cpu was in it, as long as it was half decent it was the gpu I was most concerned with when buying this laptop, it's hard to find a good gaming laptop with amd cpu and nvidia graphics :/

Mine with a cpu only stress test hits max temps of 63c now, which I think is really really good because if you look online all gaming laptops sit around 90c!

Its carbonaut, -125mv and limited to 3.45ghz. But when gaming cpu gets up to 72-74 ish over time, I guess the gpu brings temp up with shared heatsink

OvidiuM likes this.
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Here is an example of the Windows microcode update that I have been talking about. Once this update is installed on a computer, under volting and turbo ratio adjustments will be disabled.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...setting-in-fivr-filed-of-throttlestop.262308/

Save a copy of this file and you might be able to use it to reverse any future microcode updates.
    C:\Windows\System32\mcUpdate_GenuineIntel.dll

rmillsg703, OvidiuM and Papusan like this.
  6. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @rmillsg703
    Right now my CPU with just -125mV undervolt and 60% fan speed with Carbonaut never goes above 72C no matter how much I stress it or how long I game for but if intel will stop us from undervolting that will not be as easy to keep it cool.
    I guess I have a less warped heatsink because I dont have to limit it's clock.
    CPU IMO is a bigger issue in a laptop because it cannot be upgraded with this BGA socket. I think by this time next year 8core 16 threads will be the new standard for gaming. It's hard to keep 6 core cool in a laptop let alone 8 or more.
    Ryzen looks like it is cooler with more cores plus it has alot of support from game developers with new consoles releasing next year which also use 8 cores 16 threads.
    If I have done more research into all this intel security flaws that need to be patched at a performance cost no way I would have wasted money on them but I am stuck with it now so no other choice than to deal with all the issues it has.
    Thanks to users here on this forum it works better than I hoped for. For now at least

7. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would those with 9980HK be affected? Its an unlocked CPU so obviously you would be able to change multipliers but I wonder about undervolting.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Depends if they (OEM/ODM) allow you to disable SGX in bios.

OvidiuM likes this.
  9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because we like better cooling more than warranty :D

I'll post temp updates after some testing
    upload_2020-1-9_11-5-28.png

wilpang, OvidiuM and rmillsg703 like this.
  10. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually very interested to how much that could improve it!