*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've been looking at the 51m too but decided with the Asus for a number of reasons: I've had similar models from them before, I like how it looks, I like the keyboard more, and I could get it much faster.

Haven't checked for throttling, I will try to see tonight. Basically I have to watch the frequency? It should go down at some point where the temps are high? I wouldn't even mind if it slows down as long as I could make the fans a little more quiet.

I'm assuming a little bit of undervolting/underclocking should help here. I've been digging around MSI afterburner and found how I am supposed to change the points on the freq/voltage graph. The way I set them up here seems to work fine, I even got about 150 more points in 3dmark but it's the same for CPU temps. Is there a way to do a similar thing for the CPU, to lower the clocks a bit?

graph.jpeg

Also, I wonder if there's a way to control the fans manually. So far in MSI Afterburner the slider/button is greyed out. Don't know why or what I should use for this.

2. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, when cpu reaches the maximum temp it will throttle. When I was playing battlefield V, I never noticed my cpu throttling as my temps fluctuated. My cpu clock speed was constantly running at 3912 Mhz and sometimes 4105 Mhz. Maybe it would throttle if I was gaming for several hours together which I have not checked.

Did you try playing games in medium settings? That might make a difference. I am not sure if MSI afterburner is fully compatible so that's why it might be greyed out.

You can also try ROG GPU Tweak II app from Armoury Crate. Go to Featured section and look for it there. This might give you some option with respect to silent profile.

3. cucubits

Reputations:
    Found out what T Junction means. These 8750 indeed have the temp before throttling set to 100C. I was getting close on some of the spikes during benchmarking but I'm not sure it actually reached that high.

I want to try more and more to repaste and see if it makes a difference.

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    I've found something interesting.
    TLDR - asus bundled software is crap
    - please see my question at the bottom

There's a high chance that Asus has completely garbage software and armoury crate isn't working properly.
    They have 3 default profiles and a fancy color graph which changes when I switch from one to another and shows what's supposed to be different.

Silent (low clocks and fans)
    Balanced (medium clocks and higher fans)
    Turbo (highest CPU/GPU clocks and highest fan speeds).

This is how it should be but their little graph turns out to be a dirty liar. Basically they put the highest CPU speeds (4GHz) on the balanced profile too while the fans don't go as high as they do on turbo, so of course things heat up too much:

Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_3.jpg

And yes, it throttles hard. This is how it looks after about an hour of Far Cry. CPU gets easily to 99C and the speed starts bouncing.

farcry2.jpg

Moving on with testing and looking for a way to fix this, I've started reading about and setting up ThrottleStop.

One cool test I could do so far it disable turbo on the CPU so it's working at only 2.2GHz. The whole thing is whisper quiet and FarCry works just fine. Haven't checked the FPS difference but this is just a test. With turbo off, the CPU never got higher than 65C with the fan much less loud.

turbo_off.jpg

Of course there's a performance hit (almost 1000 points less in 3dmark) so my plan is to have a profile where I set it somewhere in between. I don't need to go all the way to 4Ghz but somewhere around 3-ish it would be perfect. Thing is, so far I haven't figured out how. For some reason I can't change the multiplier in ThrottleStop. I mean I can change it but nothing happens. Any ideas if there's a hidden setting or this may be locked somehow? Any other way to get it to work at a specific speed?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Good news! Made some progress and found a way to set this thing up properly.

I cannot believe how utter garbage is the software included with Asus. Moving on, just needed to say that again :)

ThrottleStop is awesome. For now I've set it up so the max speed of the CPU is at 3.1GHz and a bit of undervolting (-70mv for core/cache and -40 for igpu, I know, I can go a bit further safely).

It runs great, the fans don't go crazy at all and it won't go past about 75C even under heavy load. This is with stock paste, I can imagine I'll be able to go even a bit higher after repasting.

Tomorrow is benchmarking day. I've got Grizzly Kryonaut on the way and some good thermal pads to replace the stock ones. It's not hard to take it apart, I will post before and after data and pictures along the way.

thrstop3ghz.jpg
    farcry3ghz.jpg

Aradhakr84 likes this.
  6. Aradhakr84

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info. 75c is excellent. Let’s see how it does after repasting.

I saw a YouTube video few days ago with complete tear down for G703GX. I am guessing you might have seen it already

cucubits likes this.
  7. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yes, I already had ordered the new paste and was planning on doing it blindly. I was very happy to see that video pop up exactly when I needed it :)
    The paste is here but I'll wait until tomorrow. I'm still collecting benchmark data and temp/usage readings from before repasting.

On a more sad note, looks like Asus is really being complete di** with this laptop. They've locked most setting out from the bios. Thanks to unclewebb for pointing this out to me, the undervolt settings did not work. The sliders do work, but they do not actually change anything. This also must be locked out by Asus, along with multiplier changes and other options. For now I'm glad I was able to at least change the max multiplier so it does run at 3.1GHz max. We'll see, hopefully in the near future someone smarter than me will find a way to unlock it.

fivr.jpg

8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Well slap my tits and call me Shirley, this Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly actually seems to work.

I'm getting almost 10 degrees C cooler readings now. The stock paste Asus had seemed already dry and way too much.

Here's the inside in all its glory. Not difficult to open, just need to pay attentions to remove all the screws and use a proper thin plastic pry tool.
    1.jpeg

Coolers off:
    2.jpg

They used some sort of plastic (maybe kapton) to protect around the die and apparently applied so much stock paste that it got squished under it. I couldn't be bothered to clean this up now. Maybe on the next application. I know Kryonaut won't last long...
    3.jpg

I'm not even sure I got the most 'fresh' Kryonaut Paste. I went with the spread-a-thin-layer method and it seemed to be pretty dry, almost too dry. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be (back in the days, arctic silver was way more ...liquid when applying).

minc3 and Aradhakr84 like this.
  9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Here's a couple temp readings. Will follow up and get some more these days, but in any case, it's looking good.

Windows idle before repaste:
    idle_before.jpg

Windows idle after repaste:
    idle_after.jpg

3dMark before:
    3dmark_temp_before.jpg

3dMark after:
    3dmark_temp_after.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    minc3 and Aradhakr84 like this.
  10. Aradhakr84

Reputations:
    The temps are great and makes a huge difference. Thank you.

Will you be trying out gaming now? Maybe extended sessions to see if the temperatures are stable without any throttling issues.

cucubits likes this.