*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You just need to repeat steps for CPU Cache like you did for CPU Core so where it says in Hardware monitor LLC/Ring Offset there should be the same -0.128V like.
    You can undervolt CPU Cache in the options menu of FIVR in ThrottleStop

Attached Files:

rmillsg703 likes this.
  2. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah okay great thank you! That really made a difference!

With the cpu limited to 3.4ghz, both cache and core undervolted to -125, on stress test now, this is 2 mins in, doesn't normally get much hotter over 10 mins[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. wilpang

wilpang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Is there a difference between the G703GX and G703GXR? BIOS in the Asus website is only 302 not 305.

4. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @wilpang

Yes there is a different in CPU, the GXR come with unlocked 9980HK :)

5. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, been tweaking with throttlestop today and think i have a semi-breakthrough for enabling it easily.

1. I opened task scheduler, and set throttlestop to open with start up, not logon! In throttlestop i set it to open minimized.
    2. Then i opened notepad, typed this:
    powercfg -h off
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
    powercfg -h on

and saved it as sleep.bat
    3. use task scheduler to once again start the sleep.bat file 10 secs after startup, not logon.

This will make the computer automatically go into sleep mode on start up, with throttlestop already running. So all you need to do then is press a key or move the mouse to turn the pc on from the sleep! (maybe you can make it turn straight back on after sleep? cant find anything online)
    To set this up, i initially tested it with a notepad file with text in, to ensure waking up from sleep would not count as start up and put it back to sleep! It would open when i started pc, i would close it and put it to sleep to ensure it did not open when waking from sleep, it did not. I would recommend doing this test first so you do not get stuck in a sleep boot.

I hope this helps some of you which are putting pc to sleep straight away speed up this process, please let me know how you get on :)
    Ryan

OvidiuM likes this.
  6. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Seems like a good way to make it work.

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @rmillsg703 - If you are having problems with ThrottleStop not working as soon as you first start it, why not post some pictures so I can see how you have it setup. Without one of these Asus laptops to experiment with, it will probably be impossible for me to solve your problem.

It is possible that the bios has set the lock bit on the voltage control register. If this is true, the only way to unlock it is with a sleep resume cycle so your bat file might be the easiest solution. Once a register is locked, it is usually impossible for any software to unlock it while you are sitting in Windows.

For screenshots, try using the Windows Snipping Tool. It makes pics much easier to see compared to cell phone pics.

rmillsg703 and OvidiuM like this.
  8. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    I do think all of us using this asus notebook with i7-8750h chip are stuck on sleep/wake cycle. I think Asus has lock it and at least on my unit there is no undervolt effect taking place untill I do sleep/wake cycle.
    Furthermore in XTU everything is greyed out in cache and core undervolt settings.
    I have also tried undervolting using throttlestop without any proprietary software like armoury crate or live service but still wouldn't work untill sleep/wake cycle.
    XTU was still greyed out without Armoury crate so the only option is Throttlestop.
    Maybe there is something we missed in TS. Will post some screens of my settings in TS later.
    Thank you for lending us a helping hand

9. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi thank you for your fast reply! Here are photos of my throttlestop setup (cpu cache is same) and the only settings intel related i could find in bios, thank you

The photos are after it has done the sleep loop! Before it does a sleep loop it does not let me change turbo ratio limits in FIVR menu, or the voltage settings. Thank you for your help 111.jpg
    t ts.PNG fvir.PNG

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @rmillsg703 - When Speed Shift is enabled, ThrottleStop will show SST in green. The Set Multiplier function does not have any control over your CPU speed when Speed Shift is enabled. That means there is no reason to check the Set Multiplier box. I also never check the BD PROCHOT box but on this laptop, it does not look like Asus is using this function so checked or not probably does not matter.

[​IMG]

Are the adjusters to the right of the turbo ratio limit values greyed out? Can they not be changed?

[​IMG]

Do they only become unlocked after you do a sleep - resume cycle? If these are locked you can try adjusting the maximum CPU speed by lowering the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. This is not as convenient or as useful as being able to adjust the turbo ratio limits.

When you first boot up and start ThrottleStop and you change voltages in the FIVR window and hit Apply, what happens? Does the monitoring table in the top right corner of the FIVR window continue to show 0.0000 for all of the offset voltages?

Intel CPUs use multiple sets of Turbo Power Limits. On many computers, you need to have the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box checked. This feature is used to block the secondary set of turbo power limits. This allows the primary turbo power limits that are adjusted in the ThrottleStop TPL window to be in control of the CPU.

If you want to help me figure things out, when you first boot up, before you run ThrottleStop, can you run the Dump program by Dufus? This program will show me what values are in what registers. It will create a file called Dump.txt which you can send to me in a private message or you can attach it to your next post.

Dump.exe
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDX1Fpa1FpTmo1Qk0

If the Asus bios has locked out some CPU registers / features then there is probably nothing I can do about it. Once registers are locked, a sleep - resume cycle will sometimes unlock them but this is as good as it gets. Without a modified bios, there is no other way around this issue.

Guntraitor Sagara likes this.