*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Well I did try TS and I did try XTU and what I can said ? Hm... a good question.
    XTU work better with Armory but have lots of issues and TS, very good but dont wanna work on this model with the Armory ... !!!
    Mine advise ? After all benchmarking what I did, after one machine burn out I decive do a another factory reset ( 6-7 in last 3 days) and leave it with out TS or XTU.
    I setup mine Armory to run at OC mode, but take all cores to 4.6 and dont overclock GPU at all and the results ? No drops, no thermal throttling and no power thritlelong, so if someone wanna try :) you are more then welcome.

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Armory Crate uses XTU which conflicts with TS. So you kind of have to choose between the two. TS is a better tool for CPUs, but Armory Crate has important stuff for the laptop.

What you could do is set things how you want in Armory Crate, then disable the service from running automatically. That way you can use TS, and preserve whatever settings you want through Armory Crate. If you were to do that, you’d also need to disable the XTU service from running automatically as well.

Alternatively, disable the XTU service and use Armory Crate and TS. This might disable some functionality in Armory Crate though.

OvidiuM likes this.
  3. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well... after messing with nvidia settings in 3d options and setting power mode to performance with new driver works everything.
    I never used those settings before and with old driver there was no need to set anything but just let it to default.
    Neither XTU, armoury crate or TS made any difference to fps in CSS or CSGO.
    Speedshift doesn't change anything also which I can only asume it is a driver issue on my unit.
    So my question is does anyone else has peeformance power mode option enabled in Nvidia CP with new nvidia drivers?

4. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you mean setting the power option to prefer maximum performance, I've done that on this laptop the whole time I've owned it because farcry fps was a bit all over when I got it, but that was the only game

Also have been on the laptop for nearly 11 hours straight now (20 min break half way through) and the max temp it hit was 90c, which was only once, room temp of 26c, I thought it was rather good!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

OvidiuM likes this.
  5. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Like I said I never changed any settings in Nvidia CP before since I just asumed they will optimize everything without user input.
    And the interesting thing I only have to put it in performance mode with these low latency drivers.
    I will try some more twicks to see if any more stuff change.

rmillsg703 likes this.
  6. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Changing the shader cache settings can help on a game by game basis, and some games benifit from pre rendering frames, an example is two point hospital stops stutter if you do that! Terribly optimised game

7. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Aside from the CPU undervolt (which I am still trying to find a way to make it launch with windows and not doing that sleep/wake cycle) it seems to be working great. No frame drops with newer VGA drivers and AC and TS to work for now.
    If performance is indeed good with turboboost limited at 3.5GHz then there is no need to undervolt.

8. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can you not make it a start up service/program? I've seen a couple of you tubers do it but as said, I've tried throttlestop and couldn't really work it out

9. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all, since just a few hours ago my computer has suddenly decided it hates me!

Limited to 3.4ghz in windows 10 power settings, no problem, now the fan started revving up earlier and when I checked it was ignoring the limit whilst in games but when not in games it followed the rule, after checking I got a service running called 'ASUS_FRQ_Control', killed it in task manager, this made no difference!

Anyone have any ideas before I try throttlestop again? Thank you

UPDATE!!
    I just installed Intel xtu, and it is allowing me to change any setting I want with the 8750h, where as before it would never let me even view things in program!
    Does not let me change clock speeds

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  10. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @rmillsg703

I didn't have this issue at mine G703 yet but I had similar problem with asus G502GE and believe me or not I did try everything but only what work for me was factory reset.
    Try download ccleaner ( is free for 30 days ), uninstall the Armory and clean whole Registry, then instal it back from store.
    If you lucky will be working for you, hope yes, if not, then factory reinstall ( is some of kinda bug )

rmillsg703 likes this.